USB Cables??

Options
Do higher end USB cables (from an external hard drive to a network player) result in any improvements?? Besides just having another quality cable in the mix?? If so..are they pretty much standard fitting, and what would be a good one to go after?? Thanks
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Basically you want a good quality cable in your system no matter where it lives.
    I've tested USB cables pretty deeply and came to a conclusion.
    Audioquest Forest level cable is the best all around affordable cable money can buy. I challenge anyone on the planet to find a better built cable for the same money or less.
    This cable is fantastic and does it's job perfectly at this level and beyond. I really don't see the need for a higher end cable then this unless you can afford a Carbon Level model and honestly it's amazing how much they sound the same. it's so minor if any differences in overall sound quality. For the money IMO the Forest is a clear winner. If price was the same I'd go Carbon as there are very very small improvements in overall presentation and sound quality that I heard in my testing.
    When you have a properly built cable with high quality materials , your good to go.
    Get a Forest for all your USB needs. A to B is usually the setup for most.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    That was my point man. Starting off, I'd try the Forest to see if you hear a difference. If you do, then consider moving up the chain. I haven't experimented with external hard drives, but I'd suspect there would be a difference based off my computer to DAC experiences. If you just want to bite the bullet and go for the Wireworld, PM me and I'll see what I can do for you. I'd rather see you try the Forest first though.

Thanks and we're on!

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Saw this coming....
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Saw this coming....

I didn't..and so glad DSkip is here. He is dead on with his recommendations and I trust his advice...is that what ya saw coming??
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    He's probably referring to xthreadcrapperi
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Oh yeah, I already know he's one to stay clear of!! lol So I didn't see his reply until just now! He needs a comedy station for sure!! One that does silver commercials!! :)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yeah, just more worthless gibberish as always from xcrapperi....

With that said, I haven't found huge improvements from USB cables like I did with cables in the rest of the system, it's the one area I'm not totally sold on yet, but this is an area of my system that I feel is my weak link, so as I upgrade this area I will try again....

• tophatjohnny
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Yeah, just more worthless gibberish as always from xcrapperi....

With that said, I haven't found huge improvements from USB cables like I did with cables in the rest of the system, it's the one area I'm not totally sold on yet, but this is an area of my system that I feel is my weak link, so as I upgrade this area I will try again....

Yes I do get what you are saying. Was a little of a doubting thomas myself back when I first starting up grading my SDA 1B's and after I installed your rings, it was a night and day difference in sound quality! Now I have since changed into different speakers, amp and pre amp and my network player is a huge part of the equation, so with all the components being of higher quality, including all my interconnects, speaker cables, I wanted to make the connection between my external hard drive a quality cable too. If what's his name is fine with 5 dollar cables, so be it! I have ripped and now reripped over 4000 cd's to my hard drive at a level that is as close to mind blowing as it gets, so if this change makes even a little bit of a difference for the better.....great! If not..man it feels good knowing I have great ropes on the entire set up. Feeling me....maybe a little??? :)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    When is trying to save someone money gibberish?
    If it is, now we can see why things are, as they are.

If you don't like how things are and know you aren't going to change anyones mind, then why not leave?
    I will even throw you a going away party if it makes stepping away from your "cables don't matter" crusade any easier.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options

Thank you
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    When is trying to save someone money gibberish?
    If it is, now we can see why things are, as they are.

If you don't like how things are and know you aren't going to change anyones mind, then why not leave?
    I will even throw you a going away party if it makes stepping away from your "cables don't matter" crusade any easier.

Ryan, maybe he thinks he's Joan of Arc? B)

u7hrtr2d4io8.jpg

Love it!!!!
  • tophatjohnny
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ok just hooked up the cable I got from DSkip..(Wireworld Starlight 7) and not even broke in and already there is big difference in the music. Everything is tighter and more detailed. I know, I am listening to the same Billy Cobham recording I always listen to (album is called Powerplay) and it's just kicking my a** like listening to it for the first time. Whoever doesn't believe a quality USB cable makes a difference is so wrong...unless all they are using is mediocre gear and cables all the way around? DSkip.....you rock brother!! Thanks and love it!!
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Congrats man. I also have something special from Wireworld waiting at home....

yeah, ya just got to grin when you here what a difference an upgraded USB cable makes..(depending on what gear you have may play a part in this too) but listening is surely more enjoyable with the change, no argument there. Very happy I made the change and thanks.

So..you sharing what it is you got from WW??
  • jb5200
    jb5200 Posts: 10
    Options
    +1 for Wireworld Starlight 7 - they have patents on their cables where they separate the power from the data which helps in SQ. There are those who don't believe and those who do, it doesn't matter which side of the spectrum you are on as long as you enjoy what you have and keep listening!