CD ripping services

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
Has anyone used a CD ripping service to have their CDs converted to digital files? I am getting tired of ripping CDs and am ready to send them to somebody and have them do it. For a reasonable price. Any suggestions.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Not sure such a service exists other than having a friend or family member do it for you. I guess if you are too tired of it, perhaps it wasn't the path you should have chosen for you music media?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BlueFox
    Actually, there are a few if you Google it, including ripping SACDs. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one. I have ripped around a 1000 CDs and have maybe a 1000 or so to go. Of course, if I send them off to be ripped I will have to inventory them, and then reinventory when they come back. So that will probably take up anytime I save from ripping.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • heiney9
    I guess I didn't realize there were companies. Do you feel safe sending them your media?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Actually, there are a few if you Google it, including ripping SACDs. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one. I have ripped around a 1000 CDs and have maybe a 1000 or so to go. Of course, if I send them off to be ripped I will have to inventory them, and then reinventory when they come back. So that will probably take up anytime I save from ripping.

I've thought about this alternative to sitting around ripping all my CDs, but so far I have come to the same conclusion as @BlueFox.

I also share @heiney9's concern about whether they would all come back and in what condition, as well as whether the quality of the files would be first-rate.

Any experience of fellow Polkies would be much appreciated! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• heiney9
    I am a control freak, so I would want to be the only person ripping and tagging my digital files.

If my brother can do over 10,000 of his own cds. I think the rest of us can get it done in our free time. It can be a pain at times, but set aside time or just rip the ones you are interested in listening to at that point in time, and before you know it, it's done.

H9
  • Moose68Bash
    edited August 2015
    heiney9 wrote: »
    [Ripping] can be a pain at times, but set aside time or just rip the ones you are interested in listening to at that point in time, and before you know it, it's done.

H9

This is what I had been doing before I started making my way through the ~1,000 CDs my daughter picked up for me.

Now, I've decided to wait till I sort out all the "keepers," then begin the mass ripping process.

Yes, the real motive is likely that I'm, too lazy to discipline myself to rip while sorting! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I also thought about using one of those services, then figured out after doing a couple hundred myself that the physical process of ripping the data from the disc is only half the effort of archiving digital files. I want my metadata and cover art to be just the way I want it, so if I did use one of the services, I would most likely have had to go back and do the tagging myself all over again. Plus, there is no real assurance the ripping is done error free if they are doing it for speed. I also rip mine in WAV format in JRiver which allows for tagging of WAV files, and convert to FLAC or MP3 if I want to use files away from my music server.
  • Moose68Bash
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I also thought about using one of those services, then figured out after doing a couple hundred myself that the physical process of ripping the data from the disc is only half the effort of archiving digital files. I want my metadata and cover art to be just the way I want it, so if I did use one of the services, I would most likely have had to go back and do the tagging myself all over again. Plus, there is no real assurance the ripping is done error free if they are doing it for speed. I also rip mine in WAV format in JRiver which allows for tagging of WAV files, and convert to FLAC or MP3 if I want to use files away from my music server.

@Emlyn,

I have these same concerns, but I suspect I know far less about it than you.

Hence, I found your post very helpful.

Thanks for posting your comment.

• Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    Take a look at Murfie. I personally don't use them as a ripping service, but that is a service they offer. I just buy FLACs there. https://www.murfie.com/
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • Moose68Bash
    edited August 2015
    @Tbone289,

Thank you.

Will do.

Just took a quick look. It is a sit and service that obviously requires some studying.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

• Tbone289
    edited August 2015
    @Moose68Bash

Yes, it's a different kind of service that is a bit hard to explain...

You can ship or drop-ship them CDs and they will rip them to your choice of format (mp3, FLAC, etc.) and offer them to you for download with full tags and art, or sell/trade with other members. They will also store your CDs there, and you have the option to leave them there in storage, or have them ship them back to you.

I've been using Murfie for over 1 year, and I have no complaints at all with their service. "Gold" membership is very worthwhile too, if you just buy a few CDs per year you will quickly make back the membership fee in purchase discounts.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • Tbone289
    edited August 2015
    @Moose68Bash

Oh yes... One more VERY IMPORTANT thing I should add! (That you might not like)

Your physical CD is only attached to the rip until you download the rip. Once you have downloaded the rip, your CD is shredded. This is how they avoid RIAA issues.

In other words, you can send them your CDs to be ripped and they will be made available for streaming. At the point where you request and download the rip, it will still be available for streaming or future downloading, but the physical CD media will be destroyed.

Likewise, if you sell the CD on Murfie, it is no longer available for streaming or downloading, as it is now owned by someone else. If you download the rip, you also no longer have the option to sell the music.

I hope that makes sense... If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
  • Moose68Bash
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    @Moose68Bash

Oh yes... One more VERY IMPORTANT thing I should add! (That you might not like)

Your physical CD is only attached to the rip until you download the rip. Once you have downloaded the rip, your CD is shredded. This is how they avoid RIAA issues.

In other words, you can send them your CDs to be ripped and they will be made available for streaming. At the point where you request and download the rip, it will still be available for streaming, but the physical CD media will be destroyed.

I'm a bit old fashioned, which means I would want to retain my physical media.

That's a non-starter for me.

Still, it sounds like a great service for anybody who has more faith in these kinds of Internet services.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• BlueFox
    Lots of good info here. At this point I think I will just continue ripping new CDs, and occasionally some old ones. Just finished four Scorpion CDs, and one Rainbow.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tbone289
    I'm a bit old fashioned, which means I would want to retain my physical media.

That's a non-starter for me.

Me too. That's why I don't use Murfie as a ripping service, and do it myself. I just buy & sell on there.