Wow... bad day for the market.

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,521
Man, 530 points down.

There goes the neighborhood.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Didn't want to hear that. This is due because the interest rate is going up! :/
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I thought rates were remaining the same. I think the free fall of the yen, or whatever China uses,,has alot to do with it. Also, I think the world is scared someone like Trump has the possibility of being elected president
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    I don't think rates will be raised in Sept, or anytime in the remainder of 2015. But yea.....today was not good. Worst week for the S&P in 4+ years.

I manage a research and support team for a financial data provider and our phones have been deadly quiet today. So everyone has been full on to the grindstone apparently.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I thought rates were remaining the same. I think the free fall of the yen, or whatever China uses,,has alot to do with it. Also, I think the world is scared someone like Trump has the possibility of being elected president

I completely feel China did that just to FORK us as news had been talking about the rate raise. suit's there own purpose more than anything and puts us up against a wall to maneuver. Just think what would happen in the world if we pulled the same thing tomorrow our dollar will be worth .50............the world would just freak.

Maybe we should try it

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Markets? What a wonderfully irrational way of regulating a global economy. Well at least they boom and bust with a mathematically precision that make theoretical physicists envious! lol

Plan your retirement wisely, you need to hit the crest not the trough!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Nothing to do with rates, the global economy is slowing. If the threat of rising rates does the market in, you don't have a real market to begin with.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Nothing to do with rates, the global economy is slowing. If the threat of rising rates does the market in, you don't have a real market to begin with.

Yes, add to that China devaluing its currency to preserve its manufacturing base and maintain stability for them and other countries doing the same to keep up, making exports more difficult for every other country. Global slowdown and past due for a market correction in the U.S. anyway. Probably bounce back a bit early next week then who knows what's next.....

At least gas is cheaper!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Our financial planner will probably recommend a full sell off. The s&p has hit their theoretical red zone. Typically we hold onto cash until markers point up . A different strategy from buy and hold.

This does not look good. If no rebound on Monday, it will be bleak.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Get ready for Monday, should be interesting. If the Sept. correction that I've mentioned before is starting now, be prepared for worse selloffs in the coming weeks. Could be worse than the 2008 correction and that one hurt. QE didn't do much for us in the U.S. and the European QE isn't any better. Kick the can down the road a little longer til the SHTF.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Bleak is right, good to have cash on hand also just in case,& keep your powder dry.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Not really a lot of difference between devaluing currency and Q E. Both methods do nothing more than "print money out of thin air".

Yeah, I'm a supply sider.

Time for the markets to over correct. Personally wouldn't be surprised to see 20%, probably closer to 25.

The U S stimulus didn't work 6 years ago, there is no 1.xx multiplier effect, it's closer to 0.6. Devaluing currency normally makes matters worse, commodities artificially inflate.

Think I'm about 40% bonds at the moment. Start moving that back to stocks
    When the S and P hits about 1750 or so.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    kevhed72 wrote: »

I completely feel China did that just to FORK us as news had been talking about the rate raise. suit's there own purpose more than anything and puts us up against a wall to maneuver. Just think what would happen in the world if we pulled the same thing tomorrow our dollar will be worth .50............the world would just freak.

Maybe we should try it
    since when is a dollar worth fiddy cents?if I were an optomist i would sat its worth a dime give or take

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    Was listening to the financial news on the way home from work. As said above, everyone is freaking over the Chinese and what they're doing. What they also mentioned is this sort of "800 lb Gorilla" thats sitting out there. It's the $1.2 Trillion in outstanding student loans, with the default rate climbing and climbing. And then there are Auto Loans that are outstanding as well, ringing in at about $890 billion, an all-time high. It only takes another slow down in the economy to force layoffs again...which is right where we appear to be headed.

How quickly we forget these market bubbles and recessions of recent years. Glad my Honda Accord and Harley have been paid off for years.

The good news...when things take a dump again...lots of stocks will be on sale!
    No excuses!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    They are taking a dump
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Chickens are coming home to roost
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Joey_V
    Options
    If only I had a crystal ball.

Dang.

401k has to stay in the market but the liquid funds... I'm not risking a 40% drop. Something big is coming.
  • Joey_V
    Options

Where these chickens at?
  • dee1949
    dee1949 Posts: 1,425
    Options
    ... SELL all your stocks and bonds. Great time for Americans to "SEE" the world. Travel with the dollars strength and low oil prices. Do it NOW because the tide will turn.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

Where these chickens at?

Pollo Loco

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I am sure glad that I decided not to retire early now that I have no choice about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I do not view today's drop of over 500 points to be "the end of the world" as some may allude to. I was very active in the market for many years, nothing was more crushing then 2007 - 2008. If you know what you are doing, hopefully, you will see the silver lining of opportunities amid this artificial chaos.

Joey, if your financial planner recommends a complete sell off. I recommend you a different financial planner. If all your eggs were placed into one basket, you lack diversity and the ability to hedge. Which, in that case, sell off the company of your financial advisor as well.

Halen
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ... not to mention that now (the last two days, at any rate) are a lousy time to sell. Even today, so many folks buy high and sell low. :- (

We may look at some strategic sales to generate some losses to offset earlier capital gains from this year. Now is a good time for that.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Joey, you are still young and have years of work ahead of you. If your FP has been doing his job, he has you well diversified. And as I've said you have more than enough time to recover from whatever happens.

I had a friend badger me to put most of her money into her cash account back when the market was acting flaky years ago. I told her to just sit tight and it would come back. Her answer was I will soon retire.

She was still there when the market came back but lost out because she was playing it safe. Needless to say, she retired with a lot less in her 401k then would have been there if she hadn't gotten scared.

I'm well diversified and my FP knows what he's doing. I have seven years to go before I get out. All of this stuff, I simply ignore.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Well, I alluded to a September "happening" a month or so ago. For those who may be concerned regarding their financial positions at that time, I think The Happenings best expressed it back in 1966 with this little ditty:

https://youtu.be/NDKIs0v120s

"Bye, baby, goodbye
    Bye, baby, goodbye
    Bye, baby, goodbye (bye-bye, so long, farewell)
    Bye, baby, goodbye (bye-bye, so long)"

The Fed won't raise any rates. Every point raised equals somewhere between 500 billion and 1 trillion added to the national debt.
    As I mentioned a while back, the Chinese will have a say (dictate) finally in setting the value of national currencies vis a vis the value of gold.
    Which they are sitting on mountains of.

In September. Be there or be square. It's going to be a world-class happening. :smile:

Sal Palooza
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    These last few weeks were inevitable...China has blown up a bigger balloon than we did in 2008. It's a lot easier to actually follow real property than decipher the global market.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391868/This-city-built-million-people--lives-here.html

There are still empty residential/commercial properties nation wide even hot spots like Florida
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/08/nj_family_is_sole_tenant_in_fl.html

It's not to hard to read that we still have high unemployment, high debt, empty property that the market was grossly inflated.

the only reason companies rebounded is because they trimmed all the fat to the bone. USA has exported all our labor and material production outside the U.S. not only because of cheap labor but because corps/business' are taxed to death.

I own my own business and every time i try to move upward to provide my employees with better benefits and to hire more people, there is a tax ceiling that blocks my expansion. Basically I am frozen and so is the global economy. Gov'ts world wide are over spending on crud WE can't afford.

WE THE PEOPLE trimmed our fat but the Govt's didn't
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    We fired our CEO today, so stock is up $.50 after hours. Time to sell, and have a beer. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    Unless you are a day trader or financial advisor....or planning on retiring in the next year or less.....does the drop really effect you? And if you were planning on retiring soon, you should have already shifted some of your portfolio to bonds and lower risk funds.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Actually, I'd opine that, if one's planning to retire in a year or less, and a several percent drop in stocks is a significant concern, umm... I'm thinking one's portfolio is a bit unbalanced and/or one's net worth may be a little lower than it should be, going into retirement.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    All you guys make good points, valid ones too, but we have an over abundance of 800lb. Gorillas in the room.
    China has a plan, and to accomplish that plan they need to meet certain criteria with their currency and banking system as set forth by the IMF.

Whats the plan ? To have their currency include in the basket of reserve currencies used globally. Which btw may or may not be announced this fall, but China is pushing hard for it. If it does by chance happen....game changer.

Kev,
    Yes, it affects everyone. If you contribute to a 401k....pension fund, that worth just took a hit. Stock value is also used to borrow money against, less value means less borrowing which means companies have less to invest for expansion or new hires. Your local governments also invest in stock and other financial instruments. If they have less to work with, who do you think they will turn to for more money ? You of course, by way of higher taxes, which affects everyone.

Going into an election year, I see the markets getting into the 10-12k range realistically. It was way overpriced to begin with.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Yes Tony, my 401k probably took a hit, but since I'm not going to be touching it for at least 7 years, checking it every day to see where it's at is simply going to drive me crazy why would I do that to myself?

As for the rest, I can't do anything about it, so again why drive myself crazy.

All I can do is make sure I'm contributing to my 401k, make sure that all my investments are well diversified, check in with my FP once a year, live within my means and ignore everything else that alludes to un-necessary drama that would just raise my blood pressure.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2