LSi9 or LSiM703 Help Me Decide

Options
Hey Guys n Gals.

I've been searching high and low for a pair of cherry LSi9s for the last few months, to no avail.

Recently I've begun reading more and more positive reviews on the 703's and am wondering if I shouldn't broaden my search to include these as well.

I currently run a pair of LSi15's in my main system and I absolutely love them. These 9's or 703's will be in my secondary system, pushed with a beautiful Yamaha CA-1010 integrated amp. Mostly listened to at moderate levels in my bedroom with either vinyl or digital music from an iPod or Spotify.

I'm dead set on the cherry finish, mostly because of the WAF.

It's been pretty difficult to find a set of 9's in the wild; I'm thinking I'll have an easier time finding the 703's and it seems the sentiment is the 703's are a better speaker anyhow...

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated!
Jeff Rowland CAPRI | Yamaha RX-V3800 | Jeff Rowland Model 6 Mono Blocs | Technics SL1200 MKII | Shure V15VxMR w/ JICO Stylus | Sony SCD-XA5400ES | Monster HTS 2600 | Polk Audio LSi 15 w/VR3 Fortress Mod | REL T/9 x2

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You have that P5, get yourself a A23 or A21 behind it.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • jimithng23
    Options
    You have that P5, get yourself a A23 or A21 behind it.

The Parasound amps are definitely in consideration when the time comes to "upgrade" the Adcom, however that amp would be for the main system, not the system where the 9s or 703s would be.
    Jeff Rowland CAPRI | Yamaha RX-V3800 | Jeff Rowland Model 6 Mono Blocs | Technics SL1200 MKII | Shure V15VxMR w/ JICO Stylus | Sony SCD-XA5400ES | Monster HTS 2600 | Polk Audio LSi 15 w/VR3 Fortress Mod | REL T/9 x2
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    703's if money is no issue. I've had 7's, 9', and modded 15's and I prefer the 703 to each of them.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,474
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I can't speak to LSi9's, but can to 703's. I have a pair and I enjoy them tremendously. My preference is more for music, but I also use them for tv.

I do have a pair of LSi7's, and I know it's apples to oranges here, but compared to the 703's they sound a little muddy, and obviously not as capable. That's okay, I don't expect them to be, and only mentioning it for whatever sound quality/signature comparison info you might take from my limited experience with LSi's.

The 703's are very impressive, imho. With the amount of bass they can produce, it's hard to believe sometimes that they're just bookshelf speakers. I really enjoy them, and they're my favorite right now.

A couple of things to consider:
    • Have you seen the 703's in person? I didn't have that opportunity prior to ordering. I think that cherry finish on the 703's may be different than you're seeing on LSi9's? I typically like cherry, myself, but I found the cherry finish on the 703's to be pretty much just orange. Will depend on the rest of your decor, but I ended up switching to the midnight mahogany.
    • You might find them a little bright at first if you like the LSi sound. again, my experience with LSi's is limited, but since they sound a little muddy to me, it only stands to reason that you might find the LSiM speakers more detailed. I even found them a little empty and harsh at first, but now that mine are well broken in, they sound nice and smooth.
    I also use a Parasound amp with 703's. Works nicely.
    They sound good with other amps I've used too, even a small tube integrated.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jimithng23
    Options
    I do like the LSi sound as I intend on running the 15s in my main system for the foreseeable future...and, my fondness for the 15s is why I have been seeking out the 9s.

Interesting description of the cherry finish on the 703s. I definitely do not want an orange speaker. Is the wood finished with a coat of clear or could a person maybe darken the wood by rubbing them down?

The 9s, or 703s, whichever, will be replacing the Monitor 40 IIs in my bedroom which are a much brighter sound than the LSi. They've been performing their duty admirably while I seek out their replacements.

From what I'm gathering, the 703s character should be a pretty solid match for the Yammy which has a sparkling top end and lots of oomph on the bottom end.

There's a pair of 703s on usam right now in midnight mahogany...hmmmmmm.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    I haven't listened to the 9's, but I have a set of 15's. Although the 15's have been stored in their boxes for a few years I like the 703's much more than I can remember liking the 15's.

Keep in mind it has been a long time since I have listened to the 15's.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • msg
    Options
    jimithng23 wrote: »
    Interesting description of the cherry finish on the 703s. I definitely do not want an orange speaker. Is the wood finished with a coat of clear or could a person maybe darken the wood by rubbing them down?

I pulled this photo off of Canuck Audio. pretty accurate to my experience with the color. with light on them, I remember them being even brighter. I even like orange, but these just didn't go right in my space. I'm sure they'd be really nice in the right space. I imagine they'd probably be right at home in a darker, earthy room with some soft spots on them.
    I think it's clearcoated, and not something you can darken. not unless you were to go to work on taking the outer finish down?

ai4iv883ob3k.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Get the 703's.

Be warned though, if you do....the LSI15's days may be numbered in favor of the 705's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • D_M
    D_M Posts: 175
    Options
    jimithng23,

Expand your search to eBay. There are two sets of cherry 9s on there as of this post.
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    Options
    +1 on everything Tony and msg said. 703s if you don't mind spending a little extra, and want to be happy longer. I also had the same exp as msg on the colors.

One other consideration: if this is for your secondary system, the 703s are 8 ohm speakers and easier to push, even with the superior sound, so the lack of a dedicated external power amp would not hurt as much, although you of course would see benefit if and when you add one.

I also agree with Tony when he says you will want more LSiMs, and may even promote/switch with the 15s. Sacrilege indeed to suggest bookies > towers... :)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Get the 703's.

Be warned though, if you do....the LSI15's days may be numbered in favor of the 705's.

Dunno bouts that.... I didn't like the 703's myself.... would love to try the 705's just to make sure I wasnt missing something (plus they go head to head with my 15s better)

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    The 703's are much improved over the LSi9's and way easier to drive..The 703's with tubes are sweet.. The LSi9's with class D and a tube buffer is the ticket. I like both
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    D_M wrote: »
    jimithng23,

Expand your search to eBay. There are two sets of cherry 9s on there as of this post.

2 pairs on Canuck audio mart. A cherry and ebony pair. Going for 450$ cad
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• msg
    Options
    man, some nice speakers there. I've always wanted to hear these for myself. I will say this - the LSi9's do have cost savings to their credit.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jimithng23
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, gents!

The canuck listing is local p/u only for the cherry pair...not interested in the ebony.

The set of 9s on eBay is precisely what I'm after; watching. Thank you for the heads up on that!

Continuing through your comments I can't help but think how *much better, really* are the LSiM's over the LSi9's? Before the LSiM's were here, would we all pretty much agree the 9's were/are a fine sounding speaker? I'm wondering how much of this "703s are much better than the 9s" is like "wow, the 2016 Ferrari is way better than the 2010." When, in reality, a person would be tickled to death to own a 2010 Ferrari!

Ok, horrible analogy aside, does that make sense? What's our reference point and how much better do we really need it to be? Who knows, maybe I pop for the 703s and like them so much they supplant the 15s in my main system! Or, I save a few hundred bucks with the 9s and put that money towards a high quality DAC for the bedroom system and enjoy the heck out of them.

The 703s being 8 ohms brings up an interesting point. The CA-1010 goes from 90 wpc @ 8 ohms to 120 wpc when presented with a 4 ohm load. However, notably the spec sheet doesn't state power ratings under a 4 ohm load while in Class A operation. Likely, it would be safe to assume Yamaha doesn't recommend running Class A with a 4 ohm speaker?

At this point, I've tended to listen at lower to moderate volume levels in Class A and have really enjoyed the sound. Now I have another factor to consider in my decision....
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    edited August 2015
    Options
    While the 703's are a 8 ohm load, they do dip into the 4 ohm and lower category IIRC. And the 705 and 707's do as well.

912Polkfig1.jpg
    I estimated the LSiM703's B-weighted voltage sensitivity as 87dB/2.83V/m, 1dB lower than the specification. The electrical impedance (fig.1, solid trace) remained between 4 and 7 ohms over most of the audioband, but dropped to 3 ohms at 125Hz. There is also an awkward combination of 4 ohms and –47° phase angle at 90Hz, a frequency where music can have considerable energy. Polk specifies the LSiM703 as being "compatible with 8 ohm outputs," but I suggest that a good 4 ohm–rated amplifier or receiver would work best with this speaker.
    Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/polk-lsiiim703-loudspeaker-measurements#EkOAK6puLGVIBLYy.99
    [\quote]
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Kurt300
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, gents!

The canuck listing is local p/u only for the cherry pair...not interested in the ebony.

The set of 9s on eBay is precisely what I'm after; watching. Thank you for the heads up on that!

Continuing through your comments I can't help but think how *much better, really* are the LSiM's over the LSi9's? Before the LSiM's were here, would we all pretty much agree the 9's were/are a fine sounding speaker? I'm wondering how much of this "703s are much better than the 9s" is like "wow, the 2016 Ferrari is way better than the 2010." When, in reality, a person would be tickled to death to own a 2010 Ferrari!

Ok, horrible analogy aside, does that make sense? What's our reference point and how much better do we really need it to be? Who knows, maybe I pop for the 703s and like them so much they supplant the 15s in my main system! Or, I save a few hundred bucks with the 9s and put that money towards a high quality DAC for the bedroom system and enjoy the heck out of them.

The 703s being 8 ohms brings up an interesting point. The CA-1010 goes from 90 wpc @ 8 ohms to 120 wpc when presented with a 4 ohm load. However, notably the spec sheet doesn't state power ratings under a 4 ohm load while in Class A operation. Likely, it would be safe to assume Yamaha doesn't recommend running Class A with a 4 ohm speaker?

At this point, I've tended to listen at lower to moderate volume levels in Class A and have really enjoyed the sound. Now I have another factor to consider in my decision....

Comparison analogies other than car models...

There was general agreement that the first model iPad was a useful and valuable mobile device. But the latest generation is a substantial improvement in many ways. People happy with their originals might not see value in upgrades. Anyone trying the newest version would prefer it.

If Capt Kirk and Jean Luc Picard ever met up in the same space/time and had a disagreement, it would not matter how aggressive Kirk was or how PC Picard was - Picard would win. But the original Enterprise was surely a thing of beauty in its depiction.

IMO, running LSi-9s off a CA-1010 is non-optimal at best, and risky at worst depending on how hard you push the volume. If you love the LSi sound, some excellent but cheap power amps are for sale right now in the Flea Market area. When you have a few most posts here you will be qualified to buy from other members, who generally provide excellent value in their sales. But then the total cost is going to be closer to just getting the 703s.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I had some LSi-7's on a Yamaha CR-810 for my girlfriend for awhile and I thought they sounded real nice with that Yammy, and they are real cheap these days. IIRC easier to drive than the 9's also. She's currently using 9's with a Pioneer Elite SC-75 and they dig deeper, but the 7's would be a reasonable alternative for a secondary bedroom system and if you are patient you can pick up a pair for a VERY reasonable price on the FM. You may consider doing that and then going with Motorhead's advice and saving up for a A23 or A21 to pair up with that P5 in your main system. Just my .02
  • jimithng23
    Options
    Kurt300 wrote: »
    IMO, running LSi-9s off a CA-1010 is non-optimal at best, and risky at worst depending on how hard you push the volume. If you love the LSi sound, some excellent but cheap power amps are for sale right now in the Flea Market area. When you have a few most posts here you will be qualified to buy from other members, who generally provide excellent value in their sales. But then the total cost is going to be closer to just getting the 703s.

Well put, and well received analogies. ;-)

Additional power amps in this system are not an option; limited by space and the all important WAF.

That said, we know the 9s are 4ohms. The 703s are listed as 8ohm but looking at the charts from stereophile's test bench may suggest otherwise?

Speaking of the WAF, I showed DW pics of the 9s and the 703s last night. The 703s were shot down pretty quickly based on looks alone.
  • jimithng23
    Options
    Also, yes...I'm trying to get my post count to 100 so I can access the classifieds here by adding whatever I can to the boards.

I have some nice equipment I'll be offering up for trades and I look forward to browsing the ads to see what you all have to offer. Most of my buying/selling/trading of gear has been over on audiokarma and a few transactions on a/gon.

I hope I'm not coming off as annoying. If so, my apologies.
  • jimithng23
    Options
    Found a pair of cherry LSi7s on the Bay priced very attractively.....hmmmmm
  • Kurt300
    Options
    Very optimal solution if it can be negotiated, is move the Adcom and the 15s to the secondary system and do 705s and a Parasound amp in the prime system. Lots of happiness in the sounds you would get. Give her a coupon for any 10 chick flicks to add to your video library and a day at the spa. :)
  • Kurt300
    Options
    We are here to help you spend your hard-earned money in many and varied ways...
  • jimithng23
    Options
    Kurt300 wrote: »
    Very optimal solution if it can be negotiated, is move the Adcom and the 15s to the secondary system and do 705s and a Parasound amp in the prime system. Lots of happiness in the sounds you would get. Give her a coupon for any 10 chick flicks to add to your video library and a day at the spa. :)

That is simply golden.
  • jimithng23
    Options
    Here's another kink in the process....

Considering a set of Sonus Faber Concertinos, basically the same $ as the 9s I've found.

Knowing what we do about the rig, would you/could you say the SFs would play nice(r) with the Yammy than the 9s?

...and yes, I appreciate the thoughts of swapping/upgrading gear but at this point this rig isn't likely to change other than the speakers.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    If they are going into a secondary system and will be run at moderate volume, the LSi 9's should not even be a consideration.

They like a lot of power and do not come alive till the volume knob is turned up. Then you really have to consider room size as well. In a smaller room, they will be muddy and over done in the bass department when driven to point of opening them up.

I would also check for a good deal on Totem Rainmakers as an option...
  • jimithng23
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    If they are going into a secondary system and will be run at moderate volume, the LSi 9's should not even be a consideration.

They like a lot of power and do not come alive till the volume knob is turned up. Then you really have to consider room size as well. In a smaller room, they will be muddy and over done in the bass department when driven to point of opening them up.

There's plenty of opportunity for higher volumes, but the majority of use in this system is at moderate levels. This type of info really helps as I work towards figuring all this out.

I just quickly searched the Totems...nice looking speakers. Would it be much to ask your thoughts and opinion on these speakers? I've not listened to a Totem loudspeaker.

Thanks!
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

There's plenty of opportunity for higher volumes, but the majority of use in this system is at moderate levels. This type of info really helps as I work towards figuring all this out.

I just quickly searched the Totems...nice looking speakers. Would it be much to ask your thoughts and opinion on these speakers? I've not listened to a Totem loudspeaker.

Thanks!

I personally love the rainmakers. Open soundstage with excellent imaging.

I just helped my father with a whole new set up. After months of looking, he decided on a full Totem set up.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/167437/been-a-busy-week#latest

I love the sound.
  • jimithng23
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Since you are opening up to other speakers, what exactly are you looking in the sonics for that system? It might help if you can compare it with the LSi15's you already have as a reference.

Interesting question.

Up to this point, there have been 2 driving forces behind this speaker search:
    1) upgraditis -- I simply want a better speaker than the Monitor 40s, which don't sound *bad* by any means
    2) wood cabinets, for the WAF .

Maybe I'm putting more thought into this than I really need to, seeing as the system is nothing more than a bedroom system. It's just been seeing more and more use since the basement remodel began and I had to relegate the main system to storage.

However, anything doing is worth doing right so if I'm gonna upgrade I'm gonna look at my options, starting with what I know and what I like. I know Polk, I like the LSi sound, so that's where I began. That said, LSi's aren't the end all be all of speakers, and of course we all know that. And, as is my nature, I walk myself up the ladder much to the dismay of my bank account.

Speaking to what I like about my 15s -- soundstage and imaging. Smooth top end. Bass could use some work, but the jury's still out on this as I'm installing acoustic treatments during the remodel. I think the most impressive thing about my 15s I've heard is their willingness to play, incredibly clearly, at ear-splitting levels. I had not heard them so loud, so full, until I acquired the Adcom. The old Yammy AVR I was using just simply couldn't do that. Then I acquired the P5 and everything changed again -- more detail, more resolution, clearer and more musical bass, wider soundstage. So, based on this, I figured I would start searching for a pair of cherry LSi9s for the bedroom. That search led me to the SF Concertinos and here to the LSiM703s.

At this point, I may be going overboard! However, a part of me thinks if I go with the 703s and they're the bees knees as they're presented here, why wouldn't they go into the main system at some point, supplanting the 15s? Or, score a set of 705s and work on replacing the Adcom with a Parasound A21/A23.... who knows.

Obviously, you can tell I've made my mind up at this point.....ha!

• msg
    Options
    You're gonna fit in nicely here.
    I disabled signatures.