Sunglasses Polarized or not?

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
Ok which do you prefer and why? Would you go Polarized or not?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Polarized, Maui Jims.. you will never buy anything else.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I prefer polarized because they can reduce glare without being too dark. I can wear polarized lenses in the sun and shade from dawn to dusk.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Polarized (prescription, in my case) -- wonderful technology (invented, as we know it, by Dr. Edwin H. Land of Polaroid fame). Cuts glare, enhances contrast, minimizes reflection from glass or water.

Observe the effect of a circular polarization filter on one's view of the world.

17554732366_9d0d4ab5cd_b.jpg055 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    17393278428_c816003c99_b.jpg056 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Same view, same time, same lighting -- the only variable is the phase (sense) of the polarizer.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I bought my first pair of polorized two summers ago. It took me about a week to adjust, but I will never go back. For sure.

Mine are Ray-Ban, and I still wear the same pair daily...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,462
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Polarized, Maui Jims.. you will never buy anything else.
    this.

before you do though, go buy a cheap $10 pair of polarized glasses, just so you can see what it's about. I can almost guarantee you'll be sold instantly.

here's a better explanation than I can provide
    http://www.eyekit.co/information/lenses/polarizing-lenses-explained.html

with polarized sunglasses, you'll find that you can see into windows, underwater, and even through the tops of well endowed women. you will be less angry at Jeep owners, or anyone with flat glass for that matter, because the glare will be cut tremendously. your eyes will be more relaxed, and you won't have to scrinch through glaring reflections. seriously, it's relaxing. You'll even be able to see out of your own windshield better, because you won't be seeing the reflection of your dash.

I can see better in the rain or on overcast days, too. in fact, in conjunction with windshield water repellent, I can see so well with the MJ's (I prefer the bronze lens; it's warmer) that I hardly even use my wipers when it's raining. I think it's the increased contrast along with the glare blocking; like less layers to peer through?

there are no real drawbacks as far as I can tell, however, I've noticed that with other brands, sometimes there's a weird blue ghosting on glaring objects. don't get these. this is not the case with MJ. you'll also see odd visuals with polarizing transitions, or when viewing other things that use polarizing film, like gas pump displays and such. I play around with it though; it's neat.

I got my first pair of polarized glasses in the mid/late 90's - Vuarnets. I loved them, but after about 8 years, I busted 'em on a cold winter morning having accidentally left them in the car overnight and over-flexing them in a weird chain of events that I won't detail here. I like the MJ's better. there are other good brands too, just try some out, and watch for that blue ghosting on glared objects.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Options
    Polarized for sure. Much easier on the eyes. Even though it is heavier, I prefer the clarity of glass over ploy lenses. Costa Del Mar is my brand of choice.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Polarized Raybans myself perfect for fishing, also own non Polarized, don't wear them as much.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Polarized.

The only real reason to skip polarization is if you're a pilot. It can make instruments unreadable.

Go for a quality Polarized lens. They have MUCH better polarization filters built in that offer better optics and better protection (UVA, UVB, HEV) from harmful light rays.

As mentioned, Maui Jim is one of the best in the business. They use an extremely good, 7 layer, polarization film and top notch coatings.

The often overlooked feature on a truly good pair of sunglasses is a back surface Non-Glare.

It offers much better clarity through the lens and better light protection (usually expect 10x better UV protection from a lens with a backside Non-Glare).

Maui Jim uses a back surface Non-Glare and usually have a double gradient flash mirror on the front. That flash mirror helps to cut down on excess light coming through the lens from overhead (Sun) and below (reflected light from water, snow). But it keeps a portion of the lens (directly in front of your eye) uncoated, this allows proper amounts of useable light to still make it to your eye.

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Polarized MJs
    The only thing I don't like is in high light situations, I cant read my phone screen when people are calling (100+ a day). So I stopped wearing them at work.

Fishing/beach/driving are all bueno!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Polarized.

The only real reason to skip polarization is if you're a pilot. It can make instruments unreadable...

Heh, good point, in fact -- not just aircraft instruments, anything with a polarized screen (LCD displays, e.g.), link the displays on gas pumps. I just look over the top when the two polarizers in question are crossed.

• mantis
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For decades I have been wearing Oakley sunglasses with HD optics non polarized. I went to Sunglass hut to check out whats new as I have been wanting a new pair and tried out the Polarized models. I did notice the LCD thing, you can't really read LCD screens as well with them vs a non polarized pair which doesn't effect LCD reading.
    In my truck (2014 Nissan Pathfinder) I have 2 LCD screens I read constantly. One is the main screen for the stereo and Info center and the other is in between the gauges in the dash thats an extension of the info center. With my Normal Oakley Flax jackets with non Polarized HD optic lenses , I can see both screens perfectly and even better when it's very sunny with them on. After looking around the store and my phone I'm wondering if polarized glasses are going to effect reading those LCD screens in my truck?
    I see the benefits of the Polarized lenses but I'm wondering what are the negatives?
    Dan
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,462
    Options
    this is why I suggested getting a cheap pair at a drugstore first just to see what you think without having to make a real investment.

only some LCDs are affected to the point that you can't see anything at all. the degree of "interference" ultimately depends on how the other devices have their polarizing film oriented. I think sometimes they have it at an angle of some sort. however, if it's 90° from what your glasses are, then you'll get 100% transmission block. Polarized glasses block horizontal light, if I'm not mistaken, can't remember. if you orient a film to block vertical, you're effectively blocking all of the light. it's a neat trick to take two pairs of glasses and orient them this way. the view essentially goes black.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    Options
    Thanks for the info
    Dan
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Most current automotive LCD displays are designed to play nice with polarized lenses.

Go to any optical shop and ask them to test a polarized lens in your car, they should be more than happy to help you out.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I can read the LCD screen on my car with the MJ's no problem. But my phone needs to have the brightness turned up if I want to read it in the car... Which you are not supposed to do in many states.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mantis
    Options
    I can read the LCD screen on my car with the MJ's no problem. But my phone needs to have the brightness turned up if I want to read it in the car... Which you are not supposed to do in many states.
    What does that mean your not supposed to do in many states?

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    So I picked up a pair of Polarized today.http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses/polarized-sunglasses/polarized-flak-2-0-xl/product/W0OO9295XLP/?categoryCode=m0202&skuCode=OO9188-08
    I got these but I was able to change out the lens to a more Smoke design instead of the fire red/Yellow. The frames are killer they are like a clear smokey gray which I love.
    I also have an older pair of these
    http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses/sport-sunglasses/flak-jacket/product/W0OO9008/?categoryCode=m0203&skuCode=03-882
    Which I purchased about 10 years ago. They came with the Silver frame and black Rubbers with a Red / Yellow fire Lens which I like for Mountain bike riding and not so much for driving.
    I gotta get use to the Polarized thing , as they do work great except looking at my Trucks LCD screens which I still can see they are just very dull looking during the day through the glasses. It doesn't bother me that much and I have 90 days to return them if it becomes an issue. I'm also gonna go to the main Oakley store in KOP PA and get new Smoke non polarized lenses for my older Flax's. The Lady at Sunglass hut told me they have them there and in many different colors and my frame is exactly the same as the current model so the replacement lenses will fit perfectly.
    Thanks guys for all your advise and comments.
    Dan
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    So I picked up a pair of Polarized today.http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses/polarized-sunglasses/polarized-flak-2-0-xl/product/W0OO9295XLP/?categoryCode=m0202&skuCode=OO9188-08
    I got these but I was able to change out the lens to a more Smoke design instead of the fire red/Yellow. The frames are killer they are like a clear smokey gray which I love.
    I also have an older pair of these
    http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses/sport-sunglasses/flak-jacket/product/W0OO9008/?categoryCode=m0203&skuCode=03-882
    Which I purchased about 10 years ago. They came with the Silver frame and black Rubbers with a Red / Yellow fire Lens which I like for Mountain bike riding and not so much for driving.
    I gotta get use to the Polarized thing , as they do work great except looking at my Trucks LCD screens which I still can see they are just very dull looking during the day through the glasses. It doesn't bother me that much and I have 90 days to return them if it becomes an issue. I'm also gonna go to the main Oakley store in KOP PA and get new Smoke non polarized lenses for my older Flax's. The Lady at Sunglass hut told me they have them there and in many different colors and my frame is exactly the same as the current model so the replacement lenses will fit perfectly.
    Thanks guys for all your advise and comments.

Congrats on the new sunglasses!

I have a set of Flak Jackets myself.

If you want to order lenses for your old pair, you can order direct from Oakley's website, you don't have to goto a physical store.
  • mantis
    Options
    True but I'm old fashion and like going to stores.
    Dan