Something Very Odd with my Polk S10s

Options
sjk88
sjk88 Posts: 4
edited August 2004 in Troubleshooting
I just got a pair of used S10s and I noticed when they arrived there was something heavy sliding around in the bottom. I took the bass radiator off and there was a small magnet (too small to be the bass radiator's) lying loose in the cabinet. That was bad. But the worse part is the bass radiator did not have a magnet on it at all and it was not connected to the crossover. I checked the other speaker and it was the same way. The midrange and tweeter appear to be fine. Another odd thing is the crossover doesn't appear to have a wire torn off or missing. The only apparent connections are marked T+, T-, W+ and W- and these are connected the midrange and tweeter. The bass radiator is the SW1011 and the crossover is the RE 1005-1 and are marked as such. It looks like the bass radiator is a dummy, but I thought the S10s were 3-way speakers. What am I missing? What do I need to do to get this corrected?
Post edited by sjk88 on

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2004
    Options
    haahaa thats one effed up speaker
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited August 2004
    Options
    1)

The BASS RADIATOR is a *Passive Radiator* - IE: Not active, no magnet. It moves with the air flow of the cabinet...

I am guessing this is the speaker with a 7.5" midbass, and a 7.5" passive radiator right?

The S10 is a 2 way with a passive radiator...

The magnet probally fell off the midbass or something and is probally just a bucking cap...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Hehe.......damn those guys at Polk can't get anything right!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sjk88
    edited August 2004
    Options
    to: Vr3MxStyler2k3

The "passive radiator" is 10 inches in diameter. The midrange is 7.5". Boy, was I worried when I saw the speaker not hooked up.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Check the other drivers for similarity, and perhaps a missing magnet. It is most likely a "bucking magnet", used for use near video sources, ala TV.

A Polk PR will not have a magnet...ever, it's passive. It has weights, not magnets.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • sjk88
    edited August 2004
    Options
    The loose magnet was for the tweeter in that speaker. I set it back in place and by the way it looks it appears to be okay. Do I need to replace this tweeter or will everything be okay? I'm not looking for them to be perfect, just sound good enough for my general use stereo in my living room.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited August 2004
    Options
    If you can hear the highs from that speaker, you'll be fine.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2004
    Options
    I agree, but will elaborate on NascarNut's :) reply.

A bucking magnet is typically fastened to the actual driver magnet structure. In other words, it's a leech...and mounted on the primary driver magnet structure. If your tweeter still has a magnet, and still produces sound, you should be 100%. If not, then get ready to but a replacement.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.