Wiring for a 4 ohm question

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
My Tempest is a duel-voice coil driver. I want to wire it up for a 4 ohm load. So...

Would I wire both (+)'s and (-)'s together and then run 1 set of wires to the 5-way binding posts on the sonotube?

Then, with only one set of binding posts on the sonotube, would I run both right and left channels out of the amp, combine them together and then connect the now 1 set of speaker wires to the binding posts?

I'm 99% sure this is what to do, just want to double check with the pros.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited April 2002
    First, is the dual coil rated at 8 ohms each?? If so, yes you wire them parallel as ohms law states that "if 2 like resistances are parallel, the total resistance is half the rating of one resistance rating".

Secondly, I would not suggest you combine the amp outputs and hook them to a common load. I would suggest bridging the amp which effectivly puts the amp outputs in "series" internaly and allows you to drive lower impedence loads.

Simply paralleling the amp outputs could possibly damage the amp or the drivers, espicially if it (amp) is not intended for that type of wiring configuration.

Let us know the outcome.

Peace.
    Joe
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Well, the amp came last night and low-and-behold, there is only one set of speaker outs because it is a subwoofer amp. So, that answered that question real easy.

And yes, both are 8 ohm coils. Thanks Joe!

If...
  • axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited April 2002
    No problem Ron, I like to be able to help out if I am capable!!!!!............LOL

Joe
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2002
    What amp did you get Ron?

Thought you where using the Velodyne amp?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    No on the use of the Velodyne amp. I picked up a Plate Amp from MCM Electronics for $105.00, 250watts. Besides, when the sonosub is done, I want to sell my velo and recoupe some of the cost.

If...
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2002
    Are you going to mount the plate amp to the sono tube? I have seen it done but it looked tricky.

I am ordering my driver today and will start my project this weekend.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."