I Never Should Have Bought a Turntable

Options
I am spending way too much money on vinyl now. $200 just since I got this turntable. You have to understand that my spending money every month is only around $500.

Just got back from the record store with three albums. I got my first 180g album, Sex Pistols. What a huge difference! Old records feel like flimsy wax paper now. Anyhow, I'm enjoying this even if I'm spending all my money.

U0tLety.jpg
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I spent 100$ on new and used records in what seemed like a blink of an eye last weekend. It's big trouble.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I bought a new table to go back to my investments of 30years ago.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    Nice looking Yamaha gear there! Can't help you with the vinyl problem, though.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Goodwill weaR YOUR GLASSES
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Goodwill weaR YOUR GLASSES

Yeah, it's just hard to find used vinyl that has been taken care of. My copy of Rush "2112" sounds bad. I don't even like listening to it.

• Nightfall
    Options
    I really don't care what xcapri said, please don't quote him if you respond to his, I'm sure, trolling attempt.

• Nightfall
    Options
    How was the packing job on it?

• Nightfall
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    amazons packing has improved for LPs, and importcds is top notch. I've bought from them several times and never had an issue. They ship fast also.

This is what I was worried about. You have never had something come from them messed up from poor shipping packaging?

I think I will grab it in 2 weeks when I get paid and Karma my current copy to another one of the new people getting into vinyl here.

• Nightfall
    Options
    I would get annoyed by the lights on that U-Turn turntable.

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Work more overtime. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I feel your pain. Spent 8 dollars out of the dollar vinyl section last night.
    Death of a thousand cuts.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    You'll know you have a problem, when storage becomes and issue... and it will become an issue LOL.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,533
    Options
    Welcome to viynlitis a disease know to aflick audiophiles. I've had it for 45 years LOL. I at one point was spending $100 a week. Now I've backed quite a bit.

P-man
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,990
    Options
    Its cheaper than a lot of other stuff
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    And it is certainly worth it to check out and hunt down any used records stores or thrift shops in your area.

I have found some 99cent used records that cleaned up surprisingly well and brought a smile to my face - both for the music and just how good it sounds!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    You're going to spend a lot in the beginning but that will taper off as you find what you really want. Hat to say it but it sounds like you may need a good RCM like a VPI, more money to spend but it will make those dollar records sound much better.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Most of the vinyl I buy is used, but I still purchase one ore two new pressings a month. The last two I bought fathers day weekend cost me nearly $70. It's "hip" right now so the costs have gone way up. I do think that the quality of new pressings have gone up in the last year or so though. I remember complaining of all of the noise in new pressings when I got my Pro-Ject table, that problem seems to have diminished for the most part.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bought Queen 'News of the World' vinyl new and was put off.
    Bought Jazz DMM vinyl new @ half price books and was knocked out.
    Heck, it is just fun for me. The wife says go shopping to get rid
    of me and I say OK! :D
  • Nightfall
    Options
    One of the albums I bought sounds like absolute ****! Very distorted. I would have read reviews first because all the reviews say to avoid it, but I didn't know what I was getting. The store just said they'd order it and it would be there in 7-10 days, not which specific pressing they were getting. Oh well.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    Options
    You are right. You never should have bought one.

To help you out, I'm willing to take it off your hands free of charge along with all your LP's.

That way you wont be tempted to buy more.

Your welcome :grin:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    One of the albums I bought sounds like absolute ****! Very distorted. I would have read reviews first because all the reviews say to avoid it, but I didn't know what I was getting. The store just said they'd order it and it would be there in 7-10 days, not which specific pressing they were getting. Oh well.

Don't be coy - what was the album so we all know to avoid it?

All media have some titles that sound like s**t, live and learn.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Nightfall
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nothing anybody here is likely to be interested in. The thing is I have the same album in FLAC and it sounds fantastic.

http://www.discogs.com/Acid-Bath-Paegan-Terrorism-Tactics/release/6061130

I left my review at the bottom. Representing vintage Polks on Discogs :p

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have an Acid Bath around here somewhere...
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    One of the albums I bought sounds like absolute ****! Very distorted. I would have read reviews first because all the reviews say to avoid it, but I didn't know what I was getting.

That's the thing, you gotta find the reviews on reissued albums before you buy. How they were remastered, who did it, blah,blah,blah. I bought in the beginning without finding reviews and got bit in the a$$ a few times!

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Wait till you buy a few 45 Rpm vinyl $$$ BTW Dave Brubecks "Time Out" is a must have in 45rpm vinyl as is SRV box set >:)
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/72286/Stevie_Ray_Vaughan-Texas_Hurricane-Vinyl_Box_Sets
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    I collect mainly used records, I love to dig and sometimes it's rewarding finding something unusual and still in the shrink. I look for CD's too and good used electronics so for me it's some thing to do and you never know although the records have really dried up in the last 6 months.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Nightfall
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Wait till you buy a few 45 Rpm vinyl $$$ BTW Dave Brubecks "Time Out" is a must have in 45rpm vinyl as is SRV box set >:)
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/72286/Stevie_Ray_Vaughan-Texas_Hurricane-Vinyl_Box_Sets

One of the albums I bought is a double LP 45 RPM set, was $29.99

• Nightfall
    Options
    gce wrote: »
    One of the albums I bought sounds like absolute ****! Very distorted. I would have read reviews first because all the reviews say to avoid it, but I didn't know what I was getting.

That's the thing, you gotta find the reviews on reissued albums before you buy. How they were remastered, who did it, blah,blah,blah. I bought in the beginning without finding reviews and got bit in the a$$ a few times!

Lesson learned for sure. I should have asked them exactly what pressing they were going to order for me, went home and looked it up, then called them with a yes/no. I can say for certain that I will never listen to this album again, it will just be a part of my collection.

• afterburnt
    Options
    I guess I have lost something even though I am enjoying my old vinyl but I don't think I will be going more into it from now on.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    doin back to backs, spoiled on digital