speaker wire question

begbiebegbie Posts: 630
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Was cleaning around the hometheater setup and found later one of my speakers weren't producing any sound. I checked connections,levels,balance etc. and all were fine.
I found the problem to be a feather duster(no jokes) resting on the speaker wire !? As soon as I removed it, everything was fine.
The cable is well sheilded, so what was the problem? I gather it was the static electricity that was built up in the brush, but shoudn't this have been protected from?
Polk Rt800i -Fronts
Polk cs400i -Center
Polk fx500i -side surrounds
Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
Velodyne cht12
Polk psw111
Post edited by begbie on

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 41,026
    edited April 2002
    what kind of speaker wire do you have?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• axemanaxeman Posts: 170
    edited April 2002
    :confused:

If it is shielded cable, then static electricity wouldn't play a role, unless the shielding is nicked, but still a long shot none the less..

Very strange problem is this.........?!?!?

Peace
    Joe
    An Unused Weapon Is A Useless Weapon!!
  • danger boydanger boy Posts: 15,888
    edited April 2002
    that's it. i'm getting rid of all my feather dusters.. they are evil. ha ha ha.

very strange indeed. I never would have thought a feather duster could cause a problem like that.
    let me know if you find our any more about it.
    thanks
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • axemanaxeman Posts: 170
    edited April 2002
    You got me danger boy! What I offered is about the only thing that comes to mind as I personally have never heard of such a phenomenon!!

Oh well, learn something new everyday!!!!!!

Peace!
    Joe:D
    An Unused Weapon Is A Useless Weapon!!
  • sgtgtosgtgto Posts: 310
    edited April 2002
    Hi:

I think you have a bad connection somewhere and the weight of the duster broke the connection, then when you removed the duster the connection made again. Just my opinion.

Gary