Upgrade from AJ Pios?

2»

Comments

• trj
    trj Posts: 320
    felipe wrote: »
    Thanks for the input trj. I'm trying to convince my wife's co worker to let me audition them first. I'm thinking that the RTIa's will play louder, but be a bit more bright sounding. I consider my Sony to have a neutral sound..borderline slightly warm..might offset the brightness of the RTIa's. Trying to score a "no cost" purchase as well

No cost is always a good cost. But even if you have the AJ bookshelf's, I would purchase the RTi set. Put the AJs to surround duty for a time being if you want to test out different setups.
    If you are looking for musical speaker, which I assume you are not because you already have 3.1 setup, then keep the AJs for music duty. RTiA1's are pretty musical too. In fact I read, they are the most musical in the RTi series.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    trj wrote: »
    felipe wrote: »
    Thanks for the input trj. I'm trying to convince my wife's co worker to let me audition them first. I'm thinking that the RTIa's will play louder, but be a bit more bright sounding. I consider my Sony to have a neutral sound..borderline slightly warm..might offset the brightness of the RTIa's. Trying to score a "no cost" purchase as well

No cost is always a good cost. But even if you have the AJ bookshelf's, I would purchase the RTi set. Put the AJs to surround duty for a time being if you want to test out different setups.
    If you are looking for musical speaker, which I assume you are not because you already have 3.1 setup, then keep the AJs for music duty. RTiA1's are pretty musical too. In fact I read, they are the most musical in the RTi series.

Yeah I read the same thing about the A1's. I'm thinking I might go to my uncle's tommorrow to see how they sound since he has the A1's with the matching center. He has the model AVR up one from mine..so I'll have a good idea of how the synergy, if any, will be between the two. My uncle loves how they sound :smiley:
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• felipe
    I was just browsing my local CL for something when I stumbled upon a pair of Kef Q1s and the matching center and sub for 250. Are these any good??
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• felipe
    I was able to make a visit to my uncle's home. He auditioned his RtiA's for me..I was smiling the entire time...almost envious lol.

I wasn't able to score my old lady's co-workers RtiA's...someone offered them a good price..and they were gone..bummer :(

But, I was offered thier "secondary room" setup which consisted of Tsi300 fronts, CS10 center and Tsi100 rears for the price my "famous" lasagna lol. The 100s and CS10 were still new in box, while they briefly used the 300s when they decided to put in-walls in the secondary room as well. So, I traded food for Polks..bet thats a first around here ;)..lol...didn't take the 300s as i have no room for them.

I unboxed them..set them up...and gave a listen. Having owning these in the past, I kinda had an idea of what to expect...but that was with a different AVR. I was thinking if worse comes to worst, i can always sell them.

Impressions so far...I'm smiling. Granted, theyre not broken in yet. But, these sound soooo similar to my uncle's RtiA setup...vividly detailed, dynamic and a wide deep soundstage. These are a bit less bright then the RtiA, but I found that to be a good thing...more balanced. Imaging is great as well.

In comparison to my AJ Pios, these have more volume, are more dynamic and with surprise to me...more detail. However, I'll give the nod to the Pios when it comes to imaging..only a little nod tho. Again, these polk tsi's aren't broken in yet. I believe there is better synergy between the Polks and my Sony than with the AJ Pios.

Now, I can't wait until these are fully broken in ;). Needless to say, I was surprised.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I believe there is better synergy between the Polks and my Sony than with the AJ Pios.

More a case of the Polks are a lot easier for your Sony to drive.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2015
    That's why auditioning the 22s against the 100s at BB always makes you think the TSIs sound better. The A.J.s are far less efficient and often sound a little dull on those crappy low end BB AVRs! Had me fooled till I took them HOME and got them on some nice CLEAN power (not a ton of it, but some). Placement and the room, also made a HUGE difference. I have a pair of M-30s (like the TSI-100s) as surrounds in my HT and would never think to compare them to the Pios, they simply do not image as well and throw a wide enough sound stage. But they are fine as surrounds.

Speaker efficiency-comparing a 90db to an 83db speaker (I know the Pios are higher than that) at the same AVR/Receiver setting and switching from one to the other was a "trick" some Big Box stereo dealers used to use to get you to buy cheaper speakers at a slightly higher price (back in the day)!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • F1nut
    Placement and the room, also made a HUGE difference.

Indeed. The Pioneer bookies need to be at least 18" from the back wall and out of the corners.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• felipe
    I agree with you F1nut...the Polks are easier to drive..guess thats what I meant by "synergy". I cant account for A/B testing the 22's and 100's at BB..I do know that they use a low-end AVR tho....got a peek at it when one of the reps was adjusting it ;). I agreed with you CNH about the 100's not imaging as well as the 22's...but it's not a "night and day" difference to me.

• felipe
    Anyone have or had experience with Bowers and Wilkins? I was at BB today with the old lady looking for a new laptop for her, and I ventured into the Magnolia section. It seems like B&W , according to the sales rep, has an "entry-level" 600 series. He auditoned the bookies (686 s2 I believe)...sounded awesome! Then they added the matching center (HTM62)...fantastic. My other half found me at the magnolia during the audition...she was amazed. I've never heard any upper scale-end audio before until today..its a whole different level. If those are their entry-level, I cant imagine what the higher level series sound like.

What amazed me more was how much she liked them. She was actually considering a purchase...but its out of the budget...for now..

• F1nut
    Anyone have or had experience with Bowers and Wilkins?

You either love them or you hate them.

President of Club Polk

• felipe
    Yeah..it was kinda surprising. It got me curious, so i researched the company and the methods they use to come up with their products. What i found interesting was that they employ minimal crossover methods. from what i can gather, there is no xover element at all for the mid/bass driver on thier bookies..unless from what I can see in the pics provided online they employ the large coil for the mid/bass and the cap for the tweeter. They must REALLY trust thier driver design. Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Don't read too much into it, B&W is a good company and have been around along time. However, like many brands, their sound signature isn't for everyone. The only way to tell is to go listen for yourself.

The more you hear Felipe, the better you can grasp what floats your boat....and your wallet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    DSkip wrote: »
    B&W is a great company. Unfortunately, I just don't enjoy their sound signature. Their fit and finish is world class. What they bring to the table is a detailed sound that many people just aren't accustomed to hearing. What I've never been able to get over is the fatigue. If they don't fatigue you, they may be a good choice for you.

+1! Not a fan of the sound here, but certainly well built. They were VERY popular in East Asia for whatever reason. I saw them "everywhere", so much so that I tired of it. I also find them very fatiguing. You may be briefly impressed by their forwardness and resolution but it will quickly wear you down!

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • felipe
    Fatiguing? Really? The one's I heard at BB werent that at all. Im assuming that y'all heard thier earlier models? I'd describe these newer models as balanced, detailed with high resolution, but not fatiguing...at least to me. +1 on the build quality. Heck, for the price you pay i would hope for at least that.

• felipe
    If your ever in a BB, go to the Mag and give the 686 s2 a breif listen...might surprise you a little.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Felipe,
    Where do you live? Do you have other music shops in the area? I still consider myself a newbie in this audio world. Before jumping in get your boots on the ground and find out what floats your boat.

When you go out to listen take your own music. Speakers are not a one size fits all, hence the reason I have several setups and still want more.

....and you can be cautious but don't be afraid of the used market. I have saved thousands.

Enjoy my friend
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • felipe
    I also consider myself a newbie as well. Im in no means going to purchase the B&Ws...way out of budget. It was just cool to hear what upper-end audio sounds like..even if its "entry-level" high end.

Unfortunately, There are no other music/audio shops in my area...just BB. The BB I was at wasn't really "local"...about 45 minutes out. We went to that one because we were in that town for other reasons lol.

What floats my boat? As that has changed over the years (from bass hungry to "how loud can I go"), now I prefer detail, resolution, accurancy and overall balanced sound. I like to hear all that is going on in the soundtrack in movies and music. My current setup does this pretty good. But in all honesty, If I had the money I would seriously be considering the B&Ws :wink:

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Not me. I've heard I think they were the 683's.....I'd take a Polk bookie any day and twice on Sundays. About a few dozen other brands too.

Felipe, experiment some.....that's why we have an internet so you don't have to be limited to whats around the corner from you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • felipe
    I recently recieved a very generous gift from the in-laws..a set of B&W 684 s2's and the matching HTM 62 s2 center. I believe my other half had some input b/c those are the one's SHE liked when we were at BB that day, and how'd they know that we have the space for floorstanders once more ( another story..she's constantly rearranging things). I must of done something right to get these as a GIFT...considering the cost of these...WAY out of my budget.

How do they sound? They sound amazing :). Obviously these killed my TSi's. I had my uncle bring over his RTi's for A/B comparing. It's not fair to compare floorstanders to bookies for bass performance, so I focused on mids and highs.

The Highs...both are extended and clear. The difference I found is that the 684 s2 is more "clean" and defined. It maintains this character at high volumes as well.

The Mids...both have good presence. Difference...once again the 684 has a "cleaner" character. The RTi's are more foward, but the B&W have noticably more detail and resolution.

I believe I have found the AJ Pio upgrade...at NO cost to me...that's the best part ;). I gave the in-laws a very generous Thanks...one of the best (most expensive) gifts I've gotten.

I've never heard the previous gens of B&W, but these new series are a hit in my book :)

• felipe
    Looks like the B&W's are going back to the in-laws. They visited last night for a pre-labor day dinner since I work on labor day :(. Anyway, we watched the divergent series movies...they were "blown away" as they said by the sound of these B&Ws. To cut the story short, to help us fund the move they "bought" them back from us! I didn't agree at first ( I mean, who offers to buy back a gift he/she/they gave...didn't seem right ), so I swapped out the B&Ws with my AJ Pios that I repackaged ( I had sold the TSi bookies and center to fund my move. ) to see if I would be satisfied with what I heard. Let me tell you, having the B&Ws for some time and going back to AJ Pios, there is little difference in the SQ between the two. In actuality, the BS22's blend A LOT better with the SB1000 than the B&Ws did...it's the most seamless speaker to sub combo I've owned.

After this finding, it made it easier to let the BWs go..we got additional funds and the in-laws are enjoying their home entertainment like they never have before..everyone wins ;).

I can honestly say IMO, after owning speakers that are several times the price of the AJ Pios, that there is little improvment in SQ for the difference, and that price, for the MOST part, doesn't indicate substantially better SQ. I wouldn't buy those B&W's even if I had the money...

• felipe
    Since I dont have the B&W floorstanders anymore, should I get stands for the AJ bookies, or just spend a little more and get the AJ floorstanders??