I Got a free set of Polk SDA-1C's

Options
2»

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Are you asking if it would work or are you asking if it would realize their full potential?

Running all my speakers off this Aventage is by necessity, not choice.

Yes, I would run a pair of SDA's off my AVR.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • DangerDad
    DangerDad Posts: 20
    Options
    Well to start out Could I safely enjoy these with that AVR until I can afford a stand alone amp...We all have to make compromises with just about everything in life more so if your married! My wife is a good sport but I have a lot of $$$ hobbies...
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    I have the same lamp in my dressing room.

Cool speakers, the "older" guys on this forum love them. Looks like you're already being pointed in the right direction.

B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,473
    edited April 2015
    Options
    RamZet wrote: »

Cool speakers, the "older" guys on this forum love them.
    Now that there is funny :)
    Randy/Maine
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2015
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    RamZet wrote: »

Cool speakers, the "older" guys on this forum love them.
    Now that there is funny :)

lol. I do believe that there are more than a few guys here who are less than 30 (Noah, and Curt come to mind among others) who run SDAs and love them!

But then again, there are also a few of us who remember the warning "not to trust anyone over 30!"

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • DangerDad
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My uncle came by and dropped off the original manuals today! what a guy huh?
    20150430_211744_zpsb6ek9gzf.jpg
  • cnh
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sounds like a great guy.

Keep those in good shape! They're a part of Polk's history and legacy.

• DangerDad
    Options
    That's what I love is having a piece of audio history that is still very relevant! I need help finding a AVR that is of good quality but still affordable. I'm thinking of a Yamaha?.....150wpc should be good enough till I can add am amp to it for these...Thoughts?
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    IF I was AVR shopping for those, I'd be looking Pioneer Elite SC - but honestly, you'd be better off with a lower level AVR that has preamp outs for your fronts, and running to even a decent quality 100wpc separate amp. Until last year, I ran a 90's era Harman Kardon AVR20ii into a 70's Audire amp and it was heaven for the price i paid, less than a new AVR.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• DangerDad
    Options
    What are your thoughts on the Pioneer Elite VSX-80?
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I have a VSX-90TXV that I picked up used that I love for my HTrig, but I run preout to an amp for my 2b's from it - so it's only required to do the center and rear surrounds for me. This one is 22lbs, 165w @ 6ohms - being 6ohm stable is nice for your 1c's. Specs seem decent - though I'd take the 165 with a grain of salt, AVR ratings don't truly compare to separates IMO but you could do worse!

SC are the top of the Elite line though, and a different level from the VSX as I understand things.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    DangerDad wrote: »
    My uncle came by and dropped off the original manuals today! what a guy huh?
    20150430_211744_zpsb6ek9gzf.jpg

You would earn a lot of goodwill from us "old guys" who own and love 1Cs if you would scan those manuals and somehow make them available to those of us who do not have such a generous and thoughtful uncle! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• DangerDad
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I will try to scan these for you'll.
  • cnh
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not all Elite SCs are created equal. You want a model that weighs more than 22 lbs. One that has the ICE amps in it.

That 165 watt rating above is probably not even 75 watts x 2, a useless value. And even if you get a $1000 plus SC Elite, you'll still need a GOOD two channel power amp to really make those 1Cs shine.

Of course if you're only going to use the AVR for pre-outs, perhaps a lower model SC that has those might be OK, but then you should also get the power amp.

Look for Parasound, B&K, Rotel, etc. Lots of info here about what 200W-350W x 2 amp to buy.

I'm CERTAIN mhardy has GOT to have scans of those brochures! No?

I envision a sub-sub basement full of filing cabinets, with manila folders all properly cataloged and cross-indexed with the appropriate amount of dust and dimming 25 watt bulbs. A Sherwood FM tube tuner, the amp section of an old Magnavox repurposed with some speakers playing in the background as a bespectacled Biologist, retired, shuffles across the cracks in the cement floor in velvet slippers and an old plaid robe. (all in good fun, Coen brothers of course).

Maybe the Dude should not be up this late, "But, hey man...."

• DangerDad
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options

I have mine on a Onkyo HT-RC360 125 W + 125 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%, 2 channels driven, FTC) so I have it in Direct Mode 2ch and I don't get carried away with the volume.

The big boys are on a Onkyo TX NR808 and in run them in full range only on 2 channel mode, it's nice to have a modern receiver that does that plus has a phono input. Now when I watch a movie I go to 5.1 but I limit them to only 80 Hz down and use powered twin PSW-505 for all the power robbing bass of explosions, whatever.

Onkyo bought out Pioneer late last year
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    here you go...Enjoy!

Many thanks, DangerDad!

I've downloaded and saved them for future use.

While I remember the 1C instruction manual from years ago, I couldn't find it on a bet!

Thanks, again! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    Thanks! I'm stoked that I finally have a nice set of vintage audio! All my friends can suck-it you can't have these! So what amp would be better for a good 2.1 system? these are 6ohm 50-500 watts but I don't need really any more that 300w I don't think...!?
    annnnnnd off we go... :)

welcome to the fold, DD. those free speakers will get their money's worth out of you within the year. and then some, probably :smiley:

I disabled signatures.
  • DangerDad
    Options
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    This AVR is affordable...
    http://amzn.com/B00D4MQ0UU

That would work.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk