Audio Research Reference 3

Bought a nice ARC Ref 3 at a fair price to try in the mix. My first 6H30 tube pre. One 6550 and 6H30 in power supply, four 6H30's in the output. I'm running balanced out to amp, DAC is balanced in. Gotta get an external phono stage to connect the turntable.

I'll have at least four audiophile types here Saturday to voice their impressions. I didn't even have time to warm it up today, just wanted to power it up and made sure it worked.

arc_ref_3.jpg

Not my innards or rear panel pic, but they look the same. ;)

ARC_REF3_top_open.jpg

arc_reference3_600_rear.jpg
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    That right there makes me jealous lol...... Looks good.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    VERY sweet. What 6H30's are you gonna use?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Congrats! Very nice, indeed
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Thanks for the congrats!
    dromunds wrote: »
    VERY sweet. What 6H30's are you gonna use?

The low hour Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold pins it came with for now. It has a Sovtek 6550, would like to try better there, even if just a made in same plant one up in quality Tungsol. I'd rather not go with a pricey '58 Tungsol 6550 black plate at $385.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Is there an 'un'nice ARC Ref 3?

Saw some 7 out of 10's with face panel scratches I'd rather not have. ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Man that is SUPER SEXY Rich. You never cease to amaze me by the gear you get. When is the next audio fest at your place?
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Beautiful piece! Seems odd for them to use green for display color. So many others using blue that the green might seem out of place.......
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • SCompRacer
    edited April 2015
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Man that is SUPER SEXY Rich. You never cease to amaze me by the gear you get. When is the next audio fest at your place?

Thanks! After Axpona some of the guys are stopping over Saturday. Unsure if/when another get together will take place.
    Beautiful piece! Seems odd for them to use green for display color. So many others using blue that the green might seem out of place.......

Thanks!

It matches the display of my diy DAC. ;) On the Ref 3, you can dim in stages or turn display off if desired. They kept the same display for the Ref 5. Now I Don't like to look at them cause they are around $10K used.

pesante_0a.jpg

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited April 2015
    Rich,
    I just picked up a pair of tubes thru Andy @ Vintage Tube Services
    616 454-3467 I've delt with him in the past, He's a good guy

No Afil

Tubes with him is a labor of love. He's very knowledgeable, very helpful and patient to boot w/ fair prices IMHO

I recommend you give him a call to see what he's got!!

Rock On!

Post edited by GlennDog on
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Ref3 has always been a want of mine. Congrats!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    My "partner in crime" in this hobby locally has the LS26 and the REF 3 has been on our short list for upgrades for some time. Being a hybrid, we have found that the 26 did not seem to respond to different tubes in a very noticeable way. I'm very curious what your thoughts are and would welcome a PM from anyone with suggestions of tubes to role into the 26. We have tried both brand new "stock" tubes and some Russian "military spec" tubes and couldn't really tell any difference.

Let us know of your impressions!
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Rich, beautiful piece of kit there.
    My buddy's shop is an ARC dealer so I get to see some pretty fantastic stuff come through his doors and the Ref 3 is one of my favorites of theirs.

Congrats on the purchase.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    So where's the Krell going Rich @SCompRacer
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Thanks! After Axpona some of the guys are stopping over Saturday. Unsure if/when another get together will take place.

Man been trying to get there for (Axpona) two years now, Again this year work stepped in and shot it down....I'm really bummed now:(

One of these days Rich...

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Congrats!!!!!!! I do love AR's tube preamps. Gives you the speed of SS but the wideness of tubes. Great piece!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Rich, very nice pick-up. I'd love to hear the difference between the AR and your Krell with the SS8's. Enjoy and have fun Saturday.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    Very nice! Congrats!
  • SCompRacer
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the kind words.
    vc69 wrote: »
    My "partner in crime" in this hobby locally has the LS26 and the REF 3 has been on our short list for upgrades for some time. Being a hybrid, we have found that the 26 did not seem to respond to different tubes in a very noticeable way. I'm very curious what your thoughts are and would welcome a PM from anyone with suggestions of tubes to role into the 26. We have tried both brand new "stock" tubes and some Russian "military spec" tubes and couldn't really tell any difference.

The LS27 is said to sound better than the Ref 3.

With 6H30's, not many choices. The desirable DR's fetch ~ $500 a matched quad. There are rumors that a lot of DR's sold are fake. Now the 6550, there are choices there. But I don't want to have to buy a $500 tube for this thing to sound good. Been that route before with tubes. The Sovtek 6550EW does OK, so do SED's. From reading forum posts, the 6550 gives more of a difference than 6H30's.
    So where's the Krell going Rich @SCompRacer

Got a buddy that dibbed it already. ;) Not sure I want to give it up yet.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Oh! By the way, WELCOME BACK TO TUBES!

;)

Thanks but it's not a done deal yet...lol I've been wanting a 6H30 pre amp for some time. Really wanted a dual mono ModWright 36.5, but $10K new. The single chassis 36.5 is less but not as good sounding. I've read plenty of good things about the Ref 3 so it was also on my list.

We'll start with the KRC-HR. It's a great sounding pre amp, not lean sounding at all. Aaron is bringing his pet phono, a bottlehead Reduction MM stage with Integration upgrade. It has some mildly upgraded components. It did sound better than my Krell KSL phono board set to MM. I used my diy SUT with both. I want to hear how his pet does compared to the Krell Reference MC only phono board (four gain stages).

Then we'll toss the Ref 3 in, which will be kept heated up. I have a Project DS+ phono box. Sounds good set to MM with my SUT on the Ref 3. You really need an exceptional high output MC stage to beat a good MM with good SUT. We'll try Aaron's pet with the Ref 3 then.

What I like best, stays. Maybe both will stay....
  • EndersShadow
    No worries Rich it woulda been too rich for my blood anyway lol.... But I still will keep track of it in case I hit the lotto heheheh
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    How does it sound.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Excellent pre-amp Rich! Please let us know what you think of the 6H30 tube. IMO, I find them to be a tad sterile, but that's my taste.

Also, I forgot how beautiful your DAC is. Keep us informed on the listening session(s).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • erniejade
    How are you liking it so far?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • SCompRacer
    Axpona was a blast! Carl, Dan, Doug, Aaron and I attended. Dan is 76 and retired, but you wouldn't know it by the way he wanted to see everything there. He didn't want to stop and eat. Words of wisdom, "sink your teeth into the gear you haven't seen yet! Partake in the nutrition left out in many of the rooms" (big candy dishes...lol). Saturday they descended on my place.

The Ref 3 sounds fantastic! All agreed it should stay in the rack. Music sounded more full and rich. Mid-range and vocals had more air, sounded livelier. You get accuracy with smoothness. I felt the KRC-HR does bass better but the Ref 3 handles it well.

Carl said he got excited with Melody Gardot playing on vinyl. Since the Ref 3 doesn’t have a phono stage, Aaron was kind enough to bring his Bottlehead Reduction with Integration upgrade. That and my SUT makes for a stellar combination with my low output (.3mV) AT33PTG/II cart. I have ordered a Bottlehead Reduction w/Integration upgrade. It punches well above its weight.

The Ref 3 is a good fit. They suggest above 20K ohm input impedance for an amp, my KSA-250 is 47K. It sports a resistor ladder volume network, keeps track of and displays tube hours via remote (resettable by user when re-tubing). The remote provides control of everything I need. I even like the design.

IMG_0222_zpsbulzmsof.jpg
  • erniejade
    Looks fantastic!!
  • erniejade
    I am a fanboy of arc preamps. I agree with what you say about the sound being fuller and rich. I find the newer arc in genral are just as detalied if not more as a good ss pre and fast without any bloat. There is just a magic sound to them. I have tried a few preamps but keep going right back to the sp16. I think since I like the arc "house sound" my only next step up is one like yours.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    My SP16L is a keeper. I haven't found anything better at the price point. Rich's Ref 3 just takes things to a whole different level. Enjoyed both the show and the afternoon at Rich's place!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC