Anyone into watches/timepieces?

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    jflail2 wrote: »
    For those of us who appreciate a nice watch, this thread is interesting. I love seeing what other people have, as its an idea generator for what I might want next. You also end up seeing some pretty unique time pieces.

I own ONE decent watch, and it was the second or third cheapest model Breitling put out in 06ish. You've probably had more value in imaginary gear "damaged by UPS" than I put into that watch. Hell there are plenty of folks here with more invested in cables than we do our watches.

So save your trolling for your own vapid threads, and let the big boys have their watch discussion in peace PFB.

QFT.

I agree, let us have our own discussion PFB. There might not be many of us and the thread probably won't go much longer than 30 posts, but we like our watches and it's a nice break from the typical audio discussion.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2015
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    dhpez7wmqzzb.jpg

Victornex Swiss Army Watches are what I rock, The one on the left is for fishing hunting, anything that screams outdoors, along with the pocket watch, the one on the right is for fancy times when I cant wear something Camoflauge and boots. I guess you could say its my Marrying and Burying watch, a little to fancy for me, but does get worn on occasion.

I gotta tell you, I have a very strong affinity towards Victorinox Watches. In fact, I have one at home that I used until it basically died and the battery replacing guy tried to destroy it replacing the battery. So I kept it in its shell.

My first watch was when I was 11 years old, my dad bought it for me for my birthday. I will never forget that watch. It was a white faced GUESS watch with a little pusher to light up the "indiglo" function. It was the coolest gift my dad got me. The leather band broke after years of use but I still have the watch.

Then I ended up getting into watches a little more... I admit, I have this obsessive personality and my wife always pokes fun at that, that when I get into one thing, I take it all the way. I can't say that's not true.

Then I cycled through some Kenneth Cole watches after the Guess watch, those were pretty cool and pretty nicely made. I remember spending every dime I had from working at the supermarket to buy one Kenneth Cole watch and I was proud of it. I loved those KC watches back in the day - again, I still have them.

Yep, I'm like a hoarder. LOL

Now, I moved to a stable of 5 watches. 1 of them you guys have seen, the others are kept in a safe.

I don't flip watches like I do my audio gear. In fact, I'm more loyal to watches than I am to audio. If you ask me which hobby I prefer, I prefer watches to audio.

My watches have never steered me wrong. With audio, it's so subjective and so painful to sometimes to get sounding right. Watches? You just strap one on and you already know that it's always going to look good and you're always going to look good rocking a nice one.

Plus? I have never lost money on watches. And I buy brand new from a dealer.

With audio? YOu gotta buy used on audiogon to even remotely come close to breaking even.

So with BlueFox's "a fool and his money will soon be parted ways".. or whatever he said - I don't fear losing money with my watches. Far more stable place to put my money than anything else other than investments.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I got my start with Swatches in the mid to late 80s bro. Ain't no shame in anybody's game! Lol
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2015
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I got my start with Swatches in the mid to late 80s bro. Ain't no shame in anybody's game! Lol

Dude no way bro... I was at the Swatch store today... and started to look at what others I could buy!!

Aint no shame Z... I rock Kenneth Coles once in a while still. I like G shocks too, I'm an equal opportunity watch wearer. :smiley:

I remember back in the day, I always wanted a swatch, and my parents were just too poor to buy one so I never got one... but man, I was pining for one for so long.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited April 2015
    wyjnui2nrmzo.jpg

My most favorite watch this was my grandfathers watch a timex nothing fancy but its got to be pretty old, I remember him letting me wear some of his watches when I was a little kid he was a navy retiree and I got this when he passed away over 30 years ago it has a lot of sentimental value to me it still works, I bet this watch is 50 years old or more.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868

Yea man, me too! My dad was stationed in England for a 2nd time in the mid 80s, and we ended up doing this 10 day tour of the continent, including Switzerland. I saw some Swatches in a store window there and my mind was blown (5th grader I think at the time.) A nice gentleman outside explained Swiss watches to me, how they were made, etc etc. I was hooked right then and there.

So my first Swiss watch was indeed a Swatch, and I still think about it from time to time.

I had a middle tier swiss watch prior to the Breitling, but I can't rememeber the name.

Love that Timex gud. They really do take a licking and keep on ticking. I threw my old Timex out a second story window, fairly hard, and it was ticking like a champ when I picked it up. The sentimental value is the best part. I plan on giving all my watches to my nephew when I die.

2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Joey_V
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    wyjnui2nrmzo.jpg

My most favorite watch this was my grandfathers watch a timex nothing fancy but its got to be pretty old, I remember him letting me wear some of his watches when I was a little kid he was a navy retiree and I got this when he passed away over 30 years ago it has a lot of sentimental value to me it still works, I bet this watch is 50 years old or more.

G-

That's a classic look man, I think the band makes it look sweet and retro. Even if the band fails, you replace with a black or brown simple leather band and the watch will still look classic.

• Joey_V
    edited April 2015
    re26fg0340nl.jpg

Yea man, me too! My dad was stationed in England for a 2nd time in the mid 80s, and we ended up doing this 10 day tour of the continent, including Switzerland. I saw some Swatches in a store window there and my mind was blown (5th grader I think at the time.) A nice gentleman outside explained Swiss watches to me, how they were made, etc etc. I was hooked right then and there.

So my first Swiss watch was indeed a Swatch, and I still think about it from time to time.

I had a middle tier swiss watch prior to the Breitling, but I can't rememeber the name.

Love that Timex gud. They really do take a licking and keep on ticking. I threw my old Timex out a second story window, fairly hard, and it was ticking like a champ when I picked it up. The sentimental value is the best part. I plan on giving all my watches to my nephew when I die.

Agreed man... I plan on giving all of mine to my daughter... But not sure if she will wear dads watches!! Lol

Speaking of first Swiss watch, here's mine:

k9iczkg9ufm0.jpg

Rolex submariner with date. My first one and I will never flip or sell it. My parents bought it for me in 2008. I was 25 at that time... Good ol days
    Post edited by Joey_V on
  • Joey_V
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Although I kinda have a hankering for a Jeep Grand Cherokee - lol

While I have diddly squat for watches (career choice makes wearing one useless) I know vehicles (career choice does this). Check out the SRT8 version...let's just say it'll go like no one's business and sounds amazing, just be prepared for sticker shock though.

What's the sticker?
  • ZLTFUL
    Steve, Love the band on that Timex. Very Art Deco looking. And I am a sucker for Art Deco.

Joey, that Submariner looks awful familiar. (Mine is identical LOL...unless it is a blue face because the blue faces sometimes look black at certain angles)

I wore Timex throughout my time in the Army. Timex makes a solid product and many good looking ones.

(Not my pics)
    Got a Timex Camper the day I shipped out for basic from my parents. Still have it in the bottom of my box.
    T41711_0.jpg

Had a Timex Military Expedition once I graduated from AIT...lost it when my first wife and I got divorced although I suspect that she pilfered it.
    EAzeFl.jpg

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Z

Those timex are very nice. My brother has the camper that I bought him, that expedition looks awfully nice man.

Nah mine is not the blue face sub, that's all white gold bro.

I thought seriously about getting the smurf... Pic here... Effing baller. The blue white gold sub has such a wrist presence... You can tell it looks
    Brighter next to
    The stainless black sub... Smurf beats all subs

9h7z5kreeroy.jpg
    993p9pq8pq0w.jpg
    a9ighn88q827.jpg
  • Joey_V
    The black sub looks dull in comparison to
    The white gold metal
  • Joey_V
    Speaking of
    Colored Rolex... Here is mine. I have the somewhat rarer Rolex Milgauss GV. Green crystal and orange lightning bolt.

vchth5kccr3u.jpg
    m3n6giw2x5kp.jpg
    pfr7y0hldubi.jpg
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Wow, some great looking watches here. I have a few, mostly left or given to me through family deaths. Not expensive, but priceless to me.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2015
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Wow, some great looking watches here. I have a few, mostly left or given to me through family deaths. Not expensive, but priceless to me.

Hey man, all you need is a like for watches. Not a contest. I really enjoy them. You should share some pics
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    vmaxer wrote: »

Hey man, all you need is a like for watches. Not a contest. I really enjoy them. You should share some pics

I will have to dig them out some time, stored away. I have a few pocket watches as well from my dad, that were given or left to him. I remember him telling me where they came from as a child, but can't remember well enough to know where they came from at this point....getting old.

There is one old pocket watch I loved as a kid that had a cover over the front, push on the winding post and it opened. I still have it but it needs repair.

Again, priceless to me. My dad died at the age of 54, miss him terribly.

Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    I'm really enjoying hearing what watches others have or have had in their lives, they are a like a little part of each of our history. I've have watches from one time or another from timex, casio, a couple of storm watches, a Seiko, and about 5 invictas. Even had a $5.00 pocket watch when I was a kid, can't remember the brand though.Kinda think I broke it a couple of months after I bought it. It's a fun hobby and it's nice to be able to have an option in what watch do I want to wear today.( or not,lol)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    Timepieces are nice and very fun to have. It is an attraction and hobby that has a pretty good size following. I have a few that I collect and resale that include Tag's, to Rolex and Timex to Baby Shocks.

The funny thing is. People that claim to know much about time pieces actually don't know anything. For instance the Swatch group pretty much owns the movement market and there has been no true movement innovation since forever ago.

My biggest gripe. These hand built time pieces are the most inaccurate machines ever made. You buy a time piece for time yet, it can't count the days of month or year correctly. Don't even get me started on demagnetizations of it.

Before you want to argue, I have many for sale. I buy a watch.. Get this.. To track time...

Halen
  • docjl
    docjl Posts: 41
    e5sb4gypuaf5.jpg
    Test driving a new car

S Class right?

S550 coupe. Unbelievable.

se11oddxdqpa.jpg

what a HUGE coupe.
  • docjl
    docjl Posts: 41
    edited April 2015
    I am going to bed and wana say that the only expensive sht Ilike to see posted on polk is audio gear coz that is what makes this forum the coolest.

Hey you can either choose to post in our thread or not, you don't have to put people down.

This coming from a guy with a Porsche as their avatar?

Come on now. If you don't like it then don't post. I try not stir the pot when you post your shipping threads. You don't see me poking fun at you.

And if you didn't already know, this whole forum is a display and sharing of luxury. You honestly think that the majority of the US spends $500 or more on speakers? People are looking into separates and other gear that we have on this site? People actually have multiple LSiM speakers in their room?

No. We've even had threads here where people were asked to enumerate how much money has been spent in their system. If that's not a display of wealth - I don't know what is.

All of us enjoy different things - and this forum is the "clubhouse" so anything goes.

So, thanks for ruining our thread, we had a good thing going until you took a dump in it. Why don't you keep your drama in your own threads PFB?

Back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Excellent post.

Just .02 from a long time lurker.
  • Joey_V
    docjl wrote: »
    e5sb4gypuaf5.jpg
    Test driving a new car

S Class right?

S550 coupe. Unbelievable.

se11oddxdqpa.jpg

what a HUGE coupe.

Yep it's more of a GT car. Too bad it's tough to fit the baby seat in there.
  • Joey_V
    halenhoang wrote: »
    Timepieces are nice and very fun to have. It is an attraction and hobby that has a pretty good size following. I have a few that I collect and resale that include Tag's, to Rolex and Timex to Baby Shocks.

The funny thing is. People that claim to know much about time pieces actually don't know anything. For instance the Swatch group pretty much owns the movement market and there has been no true movement innovation since forever ago.

My biggest gripe. These hand built time pieces are the most inaccurate machines ever made. You buy a time piece for time yet, it can't count the days of month or year correctly. Don't even get me started on demagnetizations of it.

Before you want to argue, I have many for sale. I buy a watch.. Get this.. To track time...

Halen

To be honest, I've not had any issues with accuracy for time. I don't wear a watch long enough in a row to notice a drop in time keeping. Usually I cycle through and the watch I end up wearing next is dead and I have to wind it back to life and reset the time... So it's always quite accurate and close to the actual time.

I used to be a big stickler for time accuracy and even spent weeks timing it against an atomic clock, but once I realized that my watches were pretty darn accurate, I just let it be.

I'm never more than a few seconds off in a month if at all, so it doesn't matter at all to me.

Others may feel differently.

And I keep perfectly good time with my watches and it works very very well with my routine.

I can tell you that I did try some real cheap automatic watches before and those were off by a huge amount... Even if I wore them for a few days, I would be several minutes off!

These rolexes and tags are quite accurate, seconds if at all after a few days use. And usually it balances out at the end of the month if I wear them that long which I don't. I probably go about max 4 days on a watch before I flip to the next on rotation.

• Joey_V
    edited April 2015
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying hearing what watches others have or have had in their lives, they are a like a little part of each of our history. I've have watches from one time or another from timex, casio, a couple of storm watches, a Seiko, and about 5 invictas. Even had a $5.00 pocket watch when I was a kid, can't remember the brand though.Kinda think I broke it a couple of months after I bought it. It's a fun hobby and it's nice to be able to have an option in what watch do I want to wear today.( or not,lol)

Yep, the best watches are those with a story.

My Rolex submariner - watch from my parents when I finished school. It was my first and will always be my most valuable one.

My Rolex Milgauss GV - the one of my engagement to my wife.

My Rolex chrono - the one I got married in... Will never sell because of the memory.

My Rolex GMT - the one I go on vacations with, always has a memory attached to it... Usually of Maui and the beach.

TAG Silverstone - my everyday watch, retro cool. The first watch I got after I reached a financial milestone.

Each. Watch marks a milestone or a significant event. I've had watches mark no event and those always manage to get sold at a later date. I've had a Panerai and a couple of Omegas and a Tag monaco ala Steve McQueen and all those left me since they had no significance to me temporally.
  • ZLTFUL
    I have a few that are marked with some memory or special sentimental value.

Most though, I just purchased because I liked them. Of course, several, my wife has helped me pick out and have sentimental value for that reason but mostly, I just dig the watch.

My biological mom can be blamed for how much I like them. She collects Cuckoo Clocks. Most of the ones she has are Bavarian, Austrian and Swiss. I always loved seeing the insides of them when I was a kid...of course, this always led to contentious conversations like "How many times do I have to tell you not to take my damned clocks apart?!?" or the like. But it led me to my love of finding out how things work. Well...that and my brother completely disassembling the dash in my dad's pristine baby blue 1973 Cadillac El Dorado. o:)

• jflail2
    A little bit of a rough picture, but here's my Superocean ( last year of the block dot second hand if I recall correctly):

f070yojcepkg.jpg

The background/story, is that this was the result of my first BIG bonus where I work. The girl I was dating at the time and I were very frugal, but still had some cash left over when all the bills were paid, savings were made, etc. So, knowing I wanted the watch, I took her to Pottery Barn and let her buy seriously 4-500 bucks worth of pillows for the living room. Once she was all pillow happy, we then went to the jewelry store. She took one look at the price tags, smiled and said, "How about I just meet you outside. Have fun."

So my Breitling always reminds me of the early taste of success at work, and also what a bonehead I am for letting such a great girl walk out of my life. Mixed emotions I suppose, but all good.

And my first decent watch beyond a Swatch or Timex was a Sector (came to me in a dream last night.)

• Polkie2009
    edited April 2015
    I remembered a few more watches to add to the list , one was an old quartz movement Armitron, this one actually lasted probably 6 or 7 years of everyday wear abuse, can't remember what ever happened to it though. The Storm (U.K.) watches I had were quite popular in the 1990's, quartz movement and I put them through he l l . Everday wear for about 10 years. About 8 years ago i bought a Jacot, and a Akribos, both have automatic mechanical movements,( low end Chinese Seagull made?) but rarely wear them ever to work. Within the last 5 years I've bought about 7 Invicta watches that are better looking than the old Jacot and Akrobos that rarely get worn anymore.
  • Joey_V
    A little bit of a rough picture, but here's my Superocean ( last year of the block dot second hand if I recall correctly):

f070yojcepkg.jpg

The background/story, is that this was the result of my first BIG bonus where I work. The girl I was dating at the time and I were very frugal, but still had some cash left over when all the bills were paid, savings were made, etc. So, knowing I wanted the watch, I took her to Pottery Barn and let her buy seriously 4-500 bucks worth of pillows for the living room. Once she was all pillow happy, we then went to the jewelry store. She took one look at the price tags, smiled and said, "How about I just meet you outside. Have fun."

So my Breitling always reminds me of the early taste of success at work, and also what a bonehead I am for letting such a great girl walk out of my life. Mixed emotions I suppose, but all good.

And my first decent watch beyond a Swatch or Timex was a Sector (came to me in a dream last night.)

Hahah.. nice story!

That Breitling Superocean was something I was close to buying instead of my Rolex Submariner... I really liked that it has some crazy depth ratings on them. Like a freakin' submarine, no pun intended.

I'm going to post a few more pics of my watches.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Gold Seiko daily driver and hardly ever worn Panerai Automatic. fh4fk24hudcz.jpg
    k9s17w1hjwc3.jpg
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Polkie2009
    edited April 2015
    Nice open heart on the Panerai, my Jacot has that feature. I bet that Seiko is a very solid watch. I was impressed with the Panerai website, very nice.
  • jflail2
    Panerai are the dudes who do the diving watches for the Italian Navy? A buddy of mine had one as part of his "seven day set", and it was definitely the sturdiest looking time piece of the bunch. I think I'd be wearing that Panerai on a daily basis if I were you Dabutcher. :)