Cat Scratch Grill Tips

Options
boston1450
boston1450 Posts: 7,472
edited April 2015 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
So i shaved my grills last night LOL. Seriously. If you use a triple razor & lightly shave them it works pretty good. I took my time & it looks so much better & saved me $$$ for now. I was fortunate there were no big rips/snags. Came out pretty decent. Another thing in line is spray fabric paint from Napa & refreshen the faded grills. Just tips that may have already been posted BUT thought id share. If you have some please post. BEFORE-47zxy6q176x2.jpgAFTER-qh9lkzhybvr0.jpg
Randy/Maine

Comments

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Good tip. I don't have the problem with pilling, but some of my Polks have faded fabric - may have to look into the fabric spray paint.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • boston1450
    Options
    It has worked for me in the past. I use the blue tape on emblems to size. Let them dry for half hour or so & they come out looking great. The fabric spray is around 8-9.00 a can & 1 can will do many
    Randy/Maine
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    ironically, I gave a song to Ted Nugent with this title.
    He changed a few things and the rest is R&R History.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nice work! The pair of SRS 2's I got years ago had cat lovin' on them too so I had to replace the cloth. lol

9614.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • boston1450
    Options
    WOW now thats been attacked bad. Bad Putty Tat.... My wifes cat got mine once a few years ago. Now if i get up & go near the speaker he hauls a$$. He has never touched one since..... I removed it & chases his a$$ around the house & scared the pizz out of him. Now he knows the rules everything is good :smile: he is a cool cat
    Randy/Maine
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    LOL Yeah, they were BAD. His cats and the fabric...

Our cat Jasper used to get on the back of my ESL's. He just sat there, never harmed them or tried to crawl up the grids. When I got my Salks, the wife was worried if he would jump on top and maybe scratch them, so she got some nice thick cloth bath mats to cover the tops. One day he walks by, slaps the grill, which is held on by magents. It fell on him so he thinks they fight back...he leaves em alone now. lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    Good tip. I don't have the problem with pilling, but some of my Polks have faded fabric - may have to look into the fabric spray paint.
    The only problem I've found with fabric spray, is it can clog the fabric. If it's water based, is can swell the grill frames too.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    Options
    Thats good to know WMG next time i buy i will look to see whats in it
    Randy/Maine
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited April 2015
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Thats good to know WMG next time i buy i will look to see whats in it

By any chance is that a Nancy Pelosi reference? :p

• boston1450
    Options
    No. Cheech & Chong gone wild
    Randy/Maine
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    Cats and grills. NOT going to happen here! NO cats, no claws, pristine grills! Besides, I find most, and I do qualify that because not all are BAD, but most cats could care less about, well about anything! lol

You "shaved" your grills! Really! What were you? A Barber in another life? Even women who've been shaving their legs for YEARS cut or snag themselves and you did NOT do that to a giant set of grills? OK, I'd be to anxious to even try.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • cascius
    cascius Posts: 175
    Options
    Lol, I have a cat and she's been good to my previous set of speakers. She only tried once and learned her lesson.

another trick i'be tried to fix the grill was to actually burn any thread that stuck out with a lighter. It worked nicely k2v9swkbmfze.jpg
    And did burn down the entire grill... :)
    Main System:
    Front: SDA 2ATLs
    Center: CS2
    Surround: M40s
    Sub: PSW505
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1121k
    Amp: Carver AV 705x
    TV: Samsung LN52A650
    Media Player: Chromecast/Boxee Box
    BD Player: Sony BDP-S470
    Consoles: Xbox360, Wii U