Workout headphones

Need some suggestions for a decent set of headphones for riding a bike/working out in.

Prefer something under 50 that is moisture resistant and sounds decent. Bass heavy is a plus. I need these to work good with glasses and wearing a helmet (bike helmet).

I'm open to all suggestions from all brands. In-ear, on-ear, etc.... I'm not "normally" a ear-bud guy as they tend to start to hurt after a bit, but again open to suggestions for ones that you can use for a couple hours at a time with no pain.

Right now I'm looking at the Sennheiser Sports headphones that seem to all be around 40 bucks on Amazon...

square_louped_PMX_685i_sports_01_sq_sennheiser.jpg

square_louped_square_louped_OCX_685i_sports_04_sq_sennheiser.jpg

square_louped_CX_685_sports_01_sq_sennheiser.jpg
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Obviously, Sennheiser is a respected name in headphones, so you probably can't go too wrong there. Some of their models don't look like they would stay firmly in place while the wearer is very active.

I've always thought the Polk UltraFit 3000s were nice, comfortable and had great sound, even for use for hours on end. They also stay in place no matter how active you get. No issues for me while mowing, biking, jogging, weight training, etc. They also are made for Apple product use (taking calls, volume control, etc.) which IIRC you made the switch to a while back.

I also may remember - way back - that you might have done a review on this Forum for the UF 3000 (2000?).

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    I also may remember - way back - that you might have done a review on this Forum for the UF 3000 (2000?).

Yeah, I've had the 3000's before (dog ate both sets). They sounded ok but started to hurt my ears after a bit in and I never successfully got them to really feel comfortable.

I'm debating the 2000's which are over the ear as an option. I like those others as they are also waterproof so I could get them sweaty/wet and just wash em off......

Will keep doing some research but feel free to keep posting opinions.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    Anyone? I'm even debating something horrible and going with Grado's so I can hear things around me... but then I give up just about anything bass wise...
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2015
    I have been using Samsung's Active earbuds (EHS63) for the last three years or so, and I really like them. They are not anything special in regards to sound quality, but they do not sound bad at all. Then again I have not been blown away by any earphone that I have ever listened two. What I like about them is that they have a two speaker design with an open back. They are designed so that I can still hear what is going on around me at the gym or when jogging. They are maybe a little better quality build than a standard samsung or apple earbud, has a quiet tangle free cord and gold plated 3.5mm plug. I find them comfortable enough for a 90 minute workout or so. They don't bother me at all anyways. Your probably and Apple guy but these are really a great value. I paid $50 back in 2012 and it looks like amazon has them for $20 now. They would be hard to beat under $50 anyways.
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-3-5mm-Active-Stereo-Headset/dp/B00D8YYXSK
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    I have been using Samsung's Active earbuds (EHS63) for the last three years or so, and I really like them. They are not anything special in regards to sound quality, but they do not sound bad at all. Then again I have not been blown away by any earphone that I have ever listened two. What I like about them is that they have a two speaker design with an open back. They are designed so that I can still hear what is going on around me at the gym or when jogging. They are maybe a little better quality build than a standard samsung or apple earbud, has a quiet tangle free cord and gold plated 3.5mm plug. I find them comfortable enough for a 90 minute workout or so. They don't bother me at all anyways. Your probably and Apple guy but these are really a great value. I paid $50 back in 2012 and it looks like amazon has them for $20 now. They would be hard to beat under $50 anyways.
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-3-5mm-Active-Stereo-Headset/dp/B00D8YYXSK

I do have a iPhone, but I'm not what I'd consider a "Apple" guy. As long as it sound "OK" (these are for working out and biking) I'm fine. I'd actually prefer something with a lot of exaggerated bass as I'm looking for something to help keep me going and I'm a bass head... But I know from IEM's that probably isnt going to happen.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look.

I'm debating trying the Ultrafit's again, but I'm not sure if its worth it given I never got a good fit with them initially.

I may just break down and buy those Sennheisers that wrap around your ear. They aren't earbuds so they should let me hear still a bit and not hurt hopefully as much as the Polks did.

Otherwise the Sol Republic Relays got good reviews online and are waterproof. They are earbuds but supposedly super light and dont hurt at all.
  • jeremymarcinko
    I would not bother with the Actives then. The bass isn't exaggerated at all. You probably wouldn't like them.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    You might want to take a look at the iGrado's. They are an over the ear, behind the head phone. Very comfortable and sound good for what they are.

http://www.headphone.com/products/grado-igrado-black
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    I couldn't deal with the iGrados. I love Grado headphones, but I've got a bit of a fat head and the iGrados fit my head like a vice grip.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited March 2015
    They are more that $50, but I use Senn CX 890i's for just about everything and I love them. They are bass heavy IMO and they always stay put for me.

I use them walking the dog, mowing the lawn, cycling...
  • nspindel
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Xiami earbuds are my new discovery. Twenty bucks w free shipping. Some of the best sound under a hundred. I picked them up off of a website Buygoo. Takes three weeks on a slow boat from China. Amazon has them. Be careful of knockoffs. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Xiaominsk6c57ivtjj.jpg
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    nspindel wrote: »

Haha. I don't recall paying that for them...

Must have been the bourbon.

They only have one left in stock. I might want to order another pair, before they are gone!
  • nspindel
    Put that one on the "Things that make you go hmmmmmm....." list.
  • EndersShadow
    So I wanted to close this thread out..... by linking to my next one :smile:
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2015
    Anyone? I'm even debating something horrible and going with Grado's so I can hear things around me... but then I give up just about anything bass wise...

I'm not an earbud Dude, can't stand those things. Grados? No bass (in lower models), how about some old school Koss PortaPros (pretty good all around sound for workouts, don't isolate much but have decent bass for what they are).

Helmet? OK, how about these (cheap): Koss KSC75 less than $20 and not bad at that. There are some shared features with the ones above, like the titanium coated diaphragms, open back, etc.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page2/B0006B486K-1.jpg

Hey Polk? How come we CANNOT drop images into our posts ANYMORE!!

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • EndersShadow
    cnh wrote: »

I'm not an earbud Dude, can't stand those things.

Yeah I hear ya.... the ones I bought (picture below) are so far the only ones that I dont want to rip out quickly.....

in-the-box.jpg

And here is my review of them

• RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Sony EX in ear buds.
    They sound alright, you can take a phone call, they come with three different size buds, and you can remove the in ear part to clean them.
    Best part, they're 15 bucks.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    I think Shure's SE530's are the best damn thing for the money. You asked about $50 headphones, so I didn't bring them up. But if you want to talk about value at different price points, these are screaming buys.
  • EndersShadow
    Kurt300 wrote: »
    I think Shure's SE530's are the best damn thing for the money. You asked about $50 headphones, so I didn't bring them up. But if you want to talk about value at different price points, these are screaming buys.

Yeah, I love my bluebuds because of the sweat protection and the lifetime warranty on them.......

So far pretty decent as well. Use them at work instead of my Beyers since I tend to be up and about a bunch so the no cord thing is nice.

• I picked up a pair of Klipisch X4i's last week, they are hands down the most comfortable ear buds I have tried, and the noise isolation is better than my Polk Buckle over the ear headphones. Oh yeah they sound alright too.
    ej97v0hr6dtx.jpg
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    I really liked V-Sonic GR02for working out. They can be had on ebay for very fair prices. Excellent bass, good clarity, great fit,.
  • Hi Everyone. I have been intrigued with bone conducting headphones to use while running. Check out the article below and let us know your thoughts. Has anyone tried a pair?\

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/25/aftershokz-bluez-2s-bone-conduction-headphones/ [/url]

26euollth8pa.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    PolkTeam wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. I have been intrigued with bone conducting headphones to use while running. Check out the article below and let us know your thoughts. Has anyone tried a pair?\

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/25/aftershokz-bluez-2s-bone-conduction-headphones/ [/url]

26euollth8pa.jpg

I also read the same article and was very interested. There are a couple of us on here that bike that would love to be able to use something like this.

I know @codyc1ark uses a wireless speaker with his phone, I just use the Bluebuds and dont ride on city streets.

My main concern is that unlike a having a speaker wire thats needs to wrap around your head that those wouldn't do well for folks with Glasses...
  • EndersShadow
    So bringing this back from the dead.

Now these will NOT help you if you need to hear anything other than music as they isolate QUITE WELL but are not noise cancelling...

My wife’s rabbit (don’t ask) got ahold of my jaybirds so I had to replace them after quite a few years of service.

Did some research and decided to give another set of jaybirds a spin because I liked my blubuds a lot.

They were running a special on their Vistas which are totally wireless. They were the same price as the Bluetooth wired version (wires running between both speakers only).

lrgsf2xspn2m.jpeg

They come with a charging case that can give the headphones another 10 hours on top of their 6 hours of play. They are IP7 rated and I did test that out with my old version, going for a few bike rides and runs in the rain, and I sweat a lot too...

All fairly standard for 200 dollar wireless headphones....

Here’s the cool part.... There is an app you download with them (almost the cool part).....

The app gives you access to DOWNLOADABLE presets.... from ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE.

nbblqx657uj2.jpeg

You can also customize the EQ yourself but also search for all kinds of customized EQ.....

Here’s what my current EQ looks like

fcveorujuzu6.png

All of that is pointless though if they suck or don’t fit/feel good...

Well for someone whose never had earbuds fit great, and wears glasses.... straight out the box they fit PERFECT. I don’t feel them at all.

Oh and they sound FLIPPING GOOD!

So if your in the market..... give em a shot.

I’m STOKED I did...