Onkyo Receivers/Apps

tophatjohnny
tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
edited March 2015 in Going Digital
I asked a member here yesterday if he was enjoying his FLAC files he recently acquired and he replied that he was waiting to pick up a new Onkyo receiver to do this?? I was puzzled, but Okay.....I wasn't aware the Onkyo receivers (at least the newer ones) supported this? I told him I had a TXNR708 (a basic receiver) in my living room system and wondered if it would support FLAC files?/ Heck..I didn't even know it had a USB port on the front..(a huge drawback for my taste) but okay...(I thought) so early this morning (we're talking 4:30 early) I gave it a try and it works well. Onkyo even has a free app to see the files on your android device and I'm sure one for Apple as well?/ Anyway, another way to listen to FLAC quality files with a device that is available on the cheap and works well. Very well, if I may?? Anyone else using this?? I wont keep it hooked up (because of the USB port in the front) but to those that don't have other options in their system, here is a great option!!! This is probably old news, but new to me!
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I'm going that route so I don't have to have my tv on all the time. There are also pioneer streamers that are pretty cost effective. May do that instead.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Yeah I believe that all of the network receivers over the last four to five years support flac over DLNA and usb.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tophatjohnny
    edited March 2015
    The app portion of the Onkyo is not in any shape of the term "a home run" but it is cool. heck, I just decide to push the receiver back a little and keep the hard drive hooked up to the Onk! Now the door on the cabinet closes and I don't have to keep my TV on to listen on the main floor. Thanks D!! Just wish I could fly through the files like I do on my stream magic 6 and there doesn't seem to be a way of creating a playlist, and shuffle???......not seeing it as an option. That'd be cool to find out I am wrong there!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I noticed the lag with my previous onkyo as well. My current Yamaha however is much better in that regard.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    The Oremote app is worth paying for. Much better than the onkyo app.

I don't think playlists are possible with the USB port. I use media monkey on my pc for ripping and storing my flac files, and creating playlists. I then use DNLA wirelessly through my receiver for playback. Works great for me.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Great more things to learn on my Onkyo didn't know that was possible, thanks for sharing.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Yeah, putting the files on a networked PC is the way to go.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tophatjohnny
    There is an app specifically for the TXNR series that seems to be more controlled? Looks like it allows for a playlist, I know it shuffles within an individual CD but not sure if that holds true from file to file?? still better than the regular Onkyo app!!

My nightmare is that my new Cambridge 851N will be packed with app issues?/ hope not though!!
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    I have a TX-NR809 and used it to stream FLAC for a while. The biggest draw-back for me was it doesn't support gapless playback. Other than that it is a great option to steam music.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    John - you upgrading from the StreamMagic?!?
    I disabled signatures.
  • tophatjohnny
    msg wrote: »
    John - you upgrading from the StreamMagic?!?

Yes. looks that way. I have a deal in place and waiting for inventory.

In reply to D'prived, not much of a gap (if any ) in between songs when I set my playlist up. Try using the app specific for the TXNR units once and use the playlist button!!
  • D'prived
    ^How about when you play a "live" album?
  • tophatjohnny
    D'prived wrote: »
    ^How about when you play a "live" album?

Generally don't listen to live albums so I'm not sure. I'll try it later and see! thanks

• D'prived
    Not just live albums but also albums like Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon." You'll get gaps in between the songs.
  • tophatjohnny
    D'prived wrote: »
    Not just live albums but also albums like Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon." You'll get gaps in between the songs.
    Yes, I see what you mean, and not a big deal to me, as most of my listening I do via the Stream Magic 6, and also just made a decision to sit tight with the set up I own. Works great and does what I want it to. Time to quit chasing the tail and just enjoy some of the over 3400 cd's I have to choose from now! If that changes, I sure I'll be saying something!