Monitor 30 Series ii, this may be a dumb question but...

Options
vickievinyl
vickievinyl Posts: 37
edited March 2015 in Speakers
Why is the tweeter located below the woofer? Shouldn't the tweeter be above so that it is easier to locate the tweeter at ear level? I've never found the explanation for the seemingly upside down arrangement.

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,477
    Options
    Its made that way for when youve had a few too many & your head is hanging off the couch :smile: i have no idea also. Maybe others will chime in. Welcome to Polk Vickie. Hope your enjoying the HK
    Randy/Maine
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    hee hee maybe, and thanks for the welcome! ... Or maybe it was designed for Aussies?
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    Yes I do like the HK a lot. I bought it on Ebay for $100 and it is in mint condition, cosmetically as well. I think whomever owned it before me kept it lovingly on the shelf for over 20 years and never abused it.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,477
    Options
    I have alot of HK products & they just dont let you down. Built with quality & sound so sweet. Very affortable to boot. Dont let the watt thing kid ya either. All about matching it with the right speakers. Alot of people here enjoy them too
    Randy/Maine
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    Oh yes hk's put out more real world sound than a lot of other amps. I'm not entirely happy with the Monitor 30's I'm using for stereo, they work fine for HT but I'm not blown away when listening to vinyl or cd's... considering RTiA1's.. what do you think?
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Why is the tweeter located below the woofer? Shouldn't the tweeter be above so that it is easier to locate the tweeter at ear level? I've never found the explanation for the seemingly upside down arrangement.

Don't know why they put it on the bottom, maybe just to be different. I have a pair of T20e's that are identical to the Monitor 30's, but the tweeter is on the top:

http://www.hifidatabase.com/Detailed/Polk_Audio_T20e_3308.php

Bought them in 2007 when Tweeter went under, too good of a deal to pass up. But so far I haven't found a use for them, so they just sit in the box.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I can't imagine is makes much difference in that speaker. Just flip it over...problem solved.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • vickievinyl
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There has to be some design reason from Polk engineering otherwise it was just a "Let's see what happens if we locate the tweeter below the woofer?" If you mount the speakers on the wall using the attached keyhole slot, the tweeters have to be on the bottom. I'm wondering if Polk thought that the optimal placement for this speaker was closer to the ceiling (for better bass?) in which case the tweeter would be in a better position (closer to ear level). There had to be R & D into this before the speakers went into production. I've been working as an electro-mechanical designer for many years and I'm curious as to the the design engineering behind it. Unless it falls into the same category as directional speaker wires.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Okay, it looks as if Polk needed the port behind the tweeter, rather than behind the woofer. Adding a keyhole at the top, would prohibit the ability to position the port on the top, so the easy thing to do is to put the port/tweeter on the bottom. I wouldn't imagine that Polk was concerned about reflections off of the ceiling, because if the bookshelf speakers were placed on a bookshelf or TV stand then the tweeter would be closer to the shelf and reflect there. On the RTi series the key hole is implemented into the powerport, allowing the tweeter to be on top and still maintain a smallish enclosure.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    Makes sense...
  • WilliamM2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't think the port will fit behind the woofer. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the port is on the top of my T20e's The keyhole is a separate piece. Here's a pic of the monitor 30's back:

viywybli8a4s.jpg
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    Sounds like mystery solved! Thanks gents!
  • WilliamM2
    Options
    Not really, Like I said, I'm pretty sure the port is on the top of my T20e's, which are the same speaker, with the tweeter on top.
  • vickievinyl
    Options
    Oh, misunderstood...
  • WilliamM2
    Options
    Well I got curious and got the T20e's out of the closet. The port is on the bottom just like the 30's, and does fit behind the woofer. So that's not the reason.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    Unless it falls into the same category as directional speaker wires.

What category would that be?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vickievinyl
    Options
    That would be the category @F1nut :D
  • vickievinyl
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I turned my Monitor 30's the other way around, tweeter now on the top. I have them placed in the top shelf (not the top of the shelf unit) of an IKEA Expedit or whatever it is called bookshelf unit, so they are a little lower than ideal. Locating the tweeter higher improved the sound.