UPS Smashed up my ML Electrostats

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    PFB,
    You yourself said you "anticipated damage".....so why are you surprised then ? We just don't follow your logic by continuously using a company that supposedly damages your stuff.

Buy smart, buy from reputable people, and ship with insurance by a carrier both buyer and seller agree on and trust. You do that, and your chances of damage are limited.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    FWIW...I bought a dvd player from PFB a few years back with no issues, and I just sold him a Logitech Boom with no issues. I did ship USPS, though.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    PFB..... I am going to provide you with some thoughts and recommendations to help figure out where the damage is happening in transit.

Regardless of who they ship using:

1. Have them insure for full replacement value - PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE
    2. Have them make the shipper "HOLD" the package for you at a location which lets you...
    3. Inspect the item before it even leaves their facility so you can ....
    4. NOTE any damage and open the item in front of them so there is no dispute over who caused the damage.

If this method results in your items NOT being damaged... then its the local delivery people.... if the item is damaged at the location already.... well your right there to file a claim and they can take care of as much of the claim right there as possible....

I just cant fathom how you can have problems like this. I've not had ANY problems of this sort from ALL my online transactions which included purchasing things like computer cases (fragile), laptops, hard drives, 87 lb amps, 40 lb pre-amps etc.....

My logic tells you CANT be this ignorant after having all the issues you have, which leaves me with either

1. You buy from the wrong people A LOT
    2. You're not specific enough at communicating your shipping requirements to them, and following up to ensure they are done properly
    3. You just dont care that much
    4. You're running a insurance scam of some sort

With regards to this specific item, if your getting them for a great deal, I'd tell the dude, hey let me flip you an extra 20 bucks so you can triple or even quadruple box them. They have the factory inserts.... great..... how about we do BETTER than that......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    You know, when I got my Amazings, I drove to UP upstate New York (about 8-9 hours away, it was almost Canada) with a friend to pick them up from BobMcG. Not only did they arrive unscathed and in primo condition thanks to Ford Lightning Excessively Rapid Delivery Service but I got to meet Bob in person and hung out with one of the coolest dudes ever for an afternoon.

Jus' sayin' is all.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Maybe this is a sign that this hobby isn't for you.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I ask that member's responses be, if not supporting, at least not so directly hostile. Instead of using it as a way to demean someone else, maybe try a different approach? The internet seems so full of venom it would be nice if this forum were different.

May I suggest Ken, seeing as though you want to humor him, that perhaps we turn all PFB threads into Pay-per-View events. By doing so, perhaps we could raise some money for charity or something. :D

***the rest of this post was deleted.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    It's not that I'm humoring him, but I think we as a group can react better than simply posting a few insults, then some pinup photos followed by more bombardment. Anyone who has worked directly with PFB has found him to be an alright guy, who enjoys his hobby to the maximum. Nothing wrong with that.
    If anybody finds his frequent shipping woes distasteful try and find some constructive way of commenting or just ignore them. The forum will be better for it.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    troll-infographic-small.jpg
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's not that I'm humoring him, but I think we as a group can react better than simply posting a few insults, then some pinup photos followed by more bombardment. Anyone who has worked directly with PFB has found him to be an alright guy, who enjoys his hobby to the maximum. Nothing wrong with that.
    If anybody finds his frequent shipping woes distasteful try and find some constructive way of commenting or just ignore them. The forum will be better for it.

You may be right Ken... the coddling of one individual seems reasonable, given that active membership has dropped like a brick since Vanilla became law of the land.

Then again, maybe if there were less of the childish krap and more active banning of the trolls here rather than affording them enough protection to make those on the endangered species act jealous, we would see members return.

How childish is it when you need a code word to say C R A P....

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    I agree with John. The kinda of crap PFB posts about is just ridiculous. It's always the "hey look what happened to me, I have the worst luck, puppies even hate me" nonsense all the time. Yeah I know, I have been rather blunt and obnoxious to him. And I know I should just stop posting in any of his threads. Cause I already know they are all about the same thing over and over.

Just saying, I do not know of another forum on the internet. Audio related or not, that would tolerate trolling the way he does. It sure as hell was not tolerated here a few years ago. But oh well.....not my forum.

Sorry Ken....
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Well Halo I think I have been here longer than you and if you search my threads the proportion will contradict your post. There are things I dont post believe it or not, like 2 months ago I bought a pair of Wilson Duet from Audiogon for cheap.

I think I am going to take the packaging off and actually try Kens suggestion to see if there is an alternative. If its simply a case of sliding a panel in then I will keep them. I will load a few pictures up after I have finished preparing dinner.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    PFB,
    You yourself said you "anticipated damage".....so why are you surprised then ? We just don't follow your logic by continuously using a company that supposedly damages your stuff.

Buy smart, buy from reputable people, and ship with insurance by a carrier both buyer and seller agree on and trust. You do that, and your chances of damage are limited.

Tony I totally understand and think the same way so here is a quote from a message I sent to him after the purchase " Eric I would prefer fedex as a carrier for the speakers as ups has broken 2 of the last 3 items I have had delivered"

Here is a message in response " Hello Kevin,
    I also don't know if you are on the UPS blacklist but I have had very good luck with them for many years with only a couple of claims,that they paid.I over package my products so I'm sure that's most of it and the rest is luck of the draw.I could only do so much with the Logans because of their size but I reinforced where I saw fit.They have very good OEM packaging so they should be fine as long as UPS doesn't toss them out of the truck): I took pictures and they are fully insured so you won't be on the hook for anything if they do arrive damaged"

Well you can see now Tony I did try and since Eric was footing the bill for shipping and he pays less with his ups account and only had a ups store near I could not do much.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So...you joined this forum a month after I did in 2009. What's that got to do with your next smashed up UPS delivery?!? lol

I will try not to post in anymore of your ridiculous threads from now on. lol

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2015
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    So...you joined this forum a month after I did in 2009. What's that got to do with your next smashed up UPS delivery?!? lol

I will try not to post in anymore of your ridiculous threads from now on. lol

Me too. Every time I try and cut some slack, he digs a deeper hole. It is pointless to believe anything will be done to curb his trolling, so the only other thing I can do is ignore.

A search of his posts will reveal that 75% are related to a UPS snafu anyway, so I won't be missing a thing.

It sure is nice seeing a blank, faded icon with his name next to it now.

• tonyb
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There is one thing you could have done in that scenario PFB....offer to pay the difference if he'd ship FEDEX instead of UPS. You could also have refused to buy them if he uses UPS....2 things right there.

There is no frickin' way I would trust UPS to ship floorstanders....fragile floorstanders at that....even if they never smashed anything else I had shipped by them. There are a lot of trucking companies that will put speakers on pallets, shrink wrap the whole thing, and tie it down so it doesn't move.....delivered to your door. Out by me, Bax global is one such company. I'm sure you have some by you, ask your local hi-fi shop who they use for fragile stuff.

If you ever been inside a UPS handling facility, you know what I'm talking about. I liken them to the baggage handlers at the airport.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    There is one thing you could have done in that scenario PFB....offer to pay the difference if he'd ship FEDEX instead of UPS. You could also have refused to buy them if he uses UPS....2 things right there.

There is no frickin' way I would trust UPS to ship floorstanders....fragile floorstanders at that....even if they never smashed anything else I had shipped by them. There are a lot of trucking companies that will put speakers on pallets, shrink wrap the whole thing, and tie it down so it doesn't move.....delivered to your door. Out by me, Bax global is one such company. I'm sure you have some by you, ask your local hi-fi shop who they use for fragile stuff.

If you ever been inside a UPS handling facility, you know what I'm talking about. I liken them to the baggage handlers at the airport.

All of this would be great if he wasn't so concerned about the margin he needs to keep for flipping...

• tonyb
    Options

All of this would be great if he wasn't so concerned about the margin he needs to keep for flipping...

Maybe so John, but don't knowingly take the risk then complain when it happens. Now all your money is tied up in claims, takes time to get it back plus the headaches.

If that's worth it to him, rock on and keep doing what your doing, but stop moaning about it then.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    [/quote]Maybe so John, but don't knowingly take the risk then complain when it happens. Now all your money is tied up in claims, takes time to get it back plus the headaches.

If that's worth it to him, rock on and keep doing what your doing, but stop moaning about it then.[/quote]

Call it the price of doing business, without the right offs unless you are claiming the income.

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Why do you go through so much gear PFB? And if you do so because you're trying to flip them for profit, you better figure out how to get the shipments to be better because this is really cutting into your profit margin.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Why do you go through so much gear PFB? And if you do so because you're trying to flip them for profit, you better figure out how to get the shipments to be better because this is really cutting into your profit margin.
    That's the $64K question. Or does he really....?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Now, that is a woman!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    Options
    I'm with Jesse. I think that's a woman.
    Exotic.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Keiko is holding out on us... the Asian pear pie is always the best.

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options

Flat out wrong Ken. Doro had to threaten him with the ban hammer before he ever considered refunding me with a poorly packed item. Even with that, he had to drag my name through two insulting threads, received very vulgar PM's from the dude, and had to pay shipping back to him to get my money back. Get the facts right, I don't see why anyone would defend him. He's been a blight to this forum since day one.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2015
    Options
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    Flat out wrong Ken. Doro had to threaten him with the ban hammer before he ever considered refunding me with a poorly packed item. Even with that, he had to drag my name through two insulting threads, received very vulgar PM's from the dude, and had to pay shipping back to him to get my money back. Get the facts right, I don't see why anyone would defend him. He's been a blight to this forum since day one.

From what I have heard, I am a bigger blight than PFB, Xcapri and WilliamM2 combined... :DB)

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    From what I have heard, I am a bigger blight than PFB, Xcapri and WilliamM2 combined... :DB)

ONLY when killing my hearing from some inbred amp's that could never be built!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    lol

• Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    I figured I would add a little sunshine to this thread for everyone to Enjoy.
    6lq3j4n46i3m.jpg
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
This discussion has been closed.