How long can a usb cable be without degrading sound from my mhdt dac?

I would be looking at app.11-15 feet with a female usb to micro usb converter somewhere in there.

I have a new mhdt steeplechase going to my Samsung galaxy tab 4 using usb audio pro and google play music, It will be using a wireless signal which is very strong as it is just a few feet from the wireless hub.

The reason for asking is so I could sit on the couch and dial up songs on a whim.

I have seen usb extension cables with repeaters, the few folks I talked to at best buy says that would definitely strengthen the signal over a longer run.

However none of these folks knew what a dac was and were knowledgable in the uses of normal computer function.

This will be virtually solely for music.

I am barely computer literate other than everyday thingsi have used computers for for years.

So any plain English advice would be so appreciated, not just the cable length but also advice on whether other services such as Iriver might be a better value or easiest to navigate.

BTW, I have been listening to cds through this, and I just want to thank dawgfish for bringing his mhdt dac over for a listen that converted me.

I had just about quit listening to cds or music files because they actually hurt these 56 year old ears.

For what its worth try to get your ears on one in a good system, it has opened a new world to me in the audio world.

thanks in advance and good luck, have a great weekend, and be safe,

sad
humpty dumpty was pushed

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    DAC's can sure make a system better, I'm using a 9 footer to connect my PC to my Marantz SACD which I use as a DAC in my Computer/2nd 2 channel room and I think it sound excellent.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Scotty I'm running a 25' bought off Monoprice for like 12.00 that works fine with my DAC. I don't think USB length will cause you any problems.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    travis, does your 25 footer have a repeater?

I have noticed the ones for sale on the internet have those, I guess its sorta like a signal booster.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    2 meters, 3 at the most if your running a really expensive one. This is just my take so no need to flame the post.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    No it does not have a repeater, and I personally don't think it's necessary. I don't know if it would be a problem if like 50 or 100 foot, maybe but for something like you are doing, I see no problems with a basic cable. Save your money on USB.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• scottyboy76
    edited February 2015
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    No it does not have a repeater, and I personally don't think it's necessary. I don't know if it would be a problem if like 50 or 100 foot, maybe but for something like you are doing, I see no problems with a basic cable. Save your money on USB.

I will do it brother, Im expecting a female to female adaptor Monday in the mail, I will report back how well hooking the two together i have now works, thanks travis.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • scottyboy76
    unfortunately, after buying a rat xhack 10 foot extension, it sounded like little firecrackers or sparklers going off, even when it was the only usb cable hooked up, kinda thinkin it was a 10 dollar cord that was the prob.

Now, after responding to a "Usb Audio Pro" prompt to let them run my music, seeing as I am using them already along with google plus, I cant get the sound thru my dac and audio system, just the laptop.

Have not felt like taking a course on detecting which device has a handshake issue with which operating blah blah bull... im just putting on some vinyl.

Funny, as it always seems to give me music and nothing to investigate......or rarely anyway.

sad
    humpty dumpty was pushed