Cambridge Audio (851N)

Looks like a great unit, all in one. Defiantly on my to do list this year, and it's at a nice price point! http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/network-players/azur-851n
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    That doest look too bad. I am suprised at the amount of new DAC and network players that keep popping up on the market.

I am also suprised how many are lacking DSD.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • It would be great to start seeing some network players/preamps that support HDMI inputs and decoding of various surround formats. I have to keep a surround sound receiver in my main setup just to decode the 5.1 optical feed from my TV and the lossless audio from the Blu-ray.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Looks like a great unit, all in one. Defiantly on my to do list this year, and it's at a nice price point! http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/network-players/azur-851n

Johnny, what's the price you've found on that unit?

Did you mean 'definitely' on your to do list? Or, were you defiant in putting it on your list? :/ Will it work with that gazillion-disc burn you recently completed, or will those have to be stored elsewhere in a different format? What does this one do that some of the others don't do? How does all this stuff work?

Yes, I am currently very ignorant in this area...

ernie, I did notice that this one does say that it has streaming over wi-fi including DSD...whatever that means!

• erniejade
    I was looking here. I didnt see where it said DSD.
    http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Cambridge-Audio-Packs-Audiophile-Quality-into-Azur-851N-Network-Music-Player.shtml
    BUT i do see on Cambridge web site dsd
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • teekay0007 wrote: »

Johnny, what's the price you've found on that unit?

Did you mean 'definitely' on your to do list? Or, were you defiant in putting it on your list? :/ Will it work with that gazillion-disc burn you recently completed, or will those have to be stored elsewhere in a different format? What does this one do that some of the others don't do? How does all this stuff work?

Yes, I am currently very ignorant in this area...

ernie, I did notice that this one does say that it has streaming over wi-fi including DSD...whatever that means!

Yeah, I am going to get one. Same principle as the Stream Magic 6, but more Beefy. I finally got my Stream Magic 6 working perfectly, so isn't that the time to get something new and different?? I'm thinking this will also act as the eliminating the need for one (I hope? ) so still some questions I'll be asking the nice folks at Cambridge! Looks like a great and very solid unit as does all the gear I have see from them, again a nice price point I think I read $1800??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    You planning on using it as a DAC/Pre as well to eliminate your existing Cambridge pre, or just use it as a DAC
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • You planning on using it as a DAC/Pre as well to eliminate your existing Cambridge pre, or just use it as a DAC

Yeah Dan, all in one! It makes that boast, so only trying will tell if this will result in a better sounding system.
  • erniejade
    I took a look through the technical notes. Looks like a solid player. I wish they would have put an internal drive on it so outside of ripping, a computer woundt be needed to make it a bigger all in one type unit.

I was suprised to see a sub out and bass & treb. controlls on it. The sub is either full range or a 200hz fixed but, it is still nice they put them on it. Looks to be a promising unit.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Cambridge-Audio makes great gear at a very reasonable price. Before I went to a Pass preamp and Pass amps, I was using a CA 850E preamp, and two 840W amps. Total price of the CA gear is less than the price of the Pass preamp, yet the CA gear can hold its own with the Pass gear until you get to insane SPL levels.

I now have the two 840W amps in my HT for the fronts.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited February 2015
    erniejade wrote: »
    I wish they would have put an internal drive on it...

Wouldn't that have just been another easy way for it to fail and have the whole unit down and out for repair for an extended period of time? My experience has always been that if you give a hard drive time, it will fail - moving parts and all. Kind of reminds me of the old days when they were selling TVs with built-in VCRs or DVD players. Once they would fail - they always did! - the whole unit, TV and all, was either junk or MIA while out for repair.

erniejade wrote: »
    Looks to be a promising unit.

That's what she said... B)

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    The *only* complaints I have seen when it comes to CA's network players is that the app ranges from simply bad to bloody shi**y. If they can get that sorted out, then their products will easily compete with and even beat some of the "bigger" names in the network player market.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,160
    edited February 2015
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    The *only* complaints I have seen when it comes to CA's network players is that the app ranges from simply bad to bloody shi**y. If they can get that sorted out, then their products will easily compete with and even beat some of the "bigger" names in the network player market.

Was my only complaint and they have addressed it and the app works like magic!! No pun intended. shuffles like a dream and the more I think about it, I may just keep enjoying this set up for a while! Loving it, so why mess it up! Am I right?? I'm so wishy /washy!! Up and down. up an down!!!!!!!
  • ZLTFUL
    That was the only thing keeping me from buying. I may have to reassess my thoughts after I get my TT all squared away.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    Ryan I'm gonna come borrow your stuff someday you keep buying all the things I want lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • The 851N boasts of the built in pre (equal to the 851D) but not sure if this unit would sound any better than what I now have. I am that curious that I already know I will try one, so in the meantime I am checking out other streamers and not liking anything else I see??
  • ZLTFUL
    edited February 2015
    Disregard...my typing didn't match my braining. ;)

• ZLTFUL wrote: »

By braining never matches my typing, so disregard this thread..I'm going for it, not until May, so maybe someone here will get one before me and do a review??
  • ZLTFUL wrote: »

By braining never matches my typing, so disregard this thread..I'm going for it, not until May, so maybe someone here will get one before me and do a review??

Ya see, I meant to type "My Braining"!! Talking to more and more tech smart people and hearing nothing but crazy great things about this unit and am already so anxious to park it in my house! Just not sure if I'll sell my Stream Magic 6 or find room for it in my living room rig?? Decisions, decisions!!
  • tophatjohnny
    Can't think of a better way to celebrate growing one year younger, so I pulled the trigger yesterday. Trading in my Stream Magic 6 (those little babies sure hole their value in a trade deal) so I am in the hurry up and wait line as they are back ordered pretty deep. Probably by the end of the month I'll be able to report back. I know there's not a whopping amt of love for Cambridge here, but I'm sure a fan!! I'll report back after she's up and running. If someone here beats me to ownership, chime on in!! lol
  • erniejade
    Congrats!!!! The wait game always is hard though. Great present to yourself.
  • EndersShadow
    Johnny... I'm jealous!

But I just got my own toy today :smile:

fe3l59mu3kf1.jpg
    m2w7vuq5ktz4.jpg
    snhutnjlodtr.jpg
  • tophatjohnny
    I'm confused??? Got your own?? This is a thread about going digital brother, is that a digitally infused sub woofer?? :) congrats bro, and looks like SVS is in your house. I know I love the one you turned me on to!! Enjoy!!
  • EndersShadow
    I'm confused??? Got your own?? This is a thread about going digital brother, is that a digitally infused sub woofer?? :) congrats bro, and looks like SVS is in your house. I know I love the one you turned me on to!! Enjoy!!

Lol, I was saying today I also got a new audio toy. Not a SVS, it's a DIY sub I had lots of help putting together and finishing.

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Wow! Looks like a beast of a DIY sub. Any Dayton parts in there?
  • tophatjohnny

Lol, I was saying today I also got a new audio toy. Not a SVS, it's a DIY sub I had lots of help putting together and finishing.

I'm just having a little fun Dan. That sub looks great!
  • tophatjohnny
    The soul and passion behind the 851N

Rather than being assembled from bought-in modules, audiophiles can be confident that the 851N represents a genuine bespoke product with audible superiority, having been created from the ground-up by two UK based, in-house Cambridge Audio teams working together with coordinated determination to deliver the world's best digital music streamer. A core software team based in Cambridge has written many millions of lines of code whilst a team in London has designed the electronic and mechanical hardware and written the all-important control Apps. With sound always coming first with every Cambridge Audio product, the team have also worked exhaustively to ensure the 851N is incredibly natural and detailed - a real treat for the ears!

**So a reviewer says!!!** I can testify that the Stream Magic 6 (while teamed up with the Cambridge 840e) is indeed a real treat, I can only imagine how nice the new flagship product will sound.
    ***************************************************************************************
    Can ya tell I'm anxious???? lol No more from me on this until I have had time to out it to work, once it gets here!!! In the meantime, ripping like a crazy for what is already a crazy music library! What a fun project this has become! Thanks to all that have helped along the journey!
  • EndersShadow
    deronb1 wrote: »

Nope. Stereo Integrity D2 15" woofer.

More info and pics here

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/161104/martycube-lets-get-ready-to-crank-the-bass/p1
  • deronb1
    Very cool Enders! Great work and I bet it booms! In a good way :)
  • tophatjohnny
    Very cool Enders! Great work and I bet it booms! In a good way :)

Nope. Stereo Integrity D2 15" woofer.

More info and pics here

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/161104/martycube-lets-get-ready-to-crank-the-bass/p1

You 2 need to get a room!! B)
  • deronb1
    Ha! I'm a sucka for a big low end :)