25' distance from PC to DAC

Eventually we'll go wireless, but with limited funds available right now I want to use my pc and connect to the DacMajic...with apprx 25' run what's the best budget "wired" way to go? I see scottyboy is doing something similar with usb but didn't want to hijack his thread and I'm not limited to usb.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    For long runs, USB would be the way to go, but if you have the original DacMagic, the USB input isn't all that great judging from those who have owned one and commented.

A 25 foot RCA digital cable of decent quality may lose some signal strength in that long of a run, plus may cost a bit more. I think your in that "rock and a hard place" spot.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    I'll give usb a try, I would have thought the asynch USB that supports 24/192 would have decent results?
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tonyb
    Like all things, just because it's asynch USB doesn't automatically make it sound good. Which version of the Dacmagic do you have ? Still, I would give it a whirl anyway, the most you have to lose is the cost of a long USB cable which isn't a lot anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • muncybob
    DacMagic 100...gonna order a cable tonight and keep my fingers crossed.
  • tonyb
    Cool man, and that's not the original DacMagic I was referring to so the USB may very well be miles better than the original. Let us know how it turns out for ya.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • muncybob
    Maybe a stupid question now(would not be my 1st dumb one!)......just how do you connect a computer to the DAC via USB? Surely it's not as simple as utilizing one of my USB ports on the PC. If so, how does the PC send the audio out of a USB port?
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    It is sort of. After going out of usb (any of them) from computer and then connecting the DAC, your computer should see a new audio device and automatically install drivers or ask for one if your DAC was supplied with a separate one.

In my system I have to right click on the volumne symbol in the system tray at bottom of screen. From there I choose playback devices. You may have multiple devices depending on if your system has an onboard bios level sound or separate soundcard. Now it should also show the new DAC you connected. You may have to right click over the DAC and designate it as the default playback device when streaming to the 2ch system.

On my system I go back and forth between playback devices for streaming vs using headphones at the computer itself.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• muncybob
    Cool, sometimes my mind makes things harder than they need be. Gotta order me a long cable now and try this out....thanx!