Any Benefit to using spacers with Digital Components?

Options
As pictured, I am stacking the Cambridge Stream Magic 6 on top of the 840e pre. I'm not even sure what the spacers/feet are called or where to get them, and mainly, is there any benefit to using such in my set up?? I keep the amp on top for best ventilation and since doing so it hardly cracks a sweat like it did when I had it where the SM6 and pre now sit! Any help would be appreciated and again, Happy New Year all!!

THJ7yqm2x535w85.jpg
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Best Answers

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Answer ✓
    Options
    you can find some of those bigger feet under isolation Components, I used some sorbothane feet to giving some stacked components a little breathing room, and they have big or small ones.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/Isolation-Components/products/66/
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited January 2015 Answer ✓
    Options
    I like to space things more than the stock feet for ventilation purposes. Even digital components have to dissipate heat. Does it make a huge difference....

Might not but for me I just think of the HDMI boards in my Onkyo and why I put computer fans on it to keep it cool.

Best defense is a good offense. For the low cost of sorbathane spacers id just do it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have all of my gear, except the amps, on Mapleshade Micro Point Brass Footers. These couple vibrations into the solid maple rack. Yes, I feel the brass footers on each component (preamp, DAC, file player, CD player) help improve the sound. Eliminating vibration is almost as important as cleaning up the power in getting your gear to works it's best.

Incidentally, I started using the brass footers when my system had a Cambridge-Audio 840E pre, and two CA 840W amps. I did have footers on those amps. In fact, I still do since I now use them in the HT. Also, everything in the HT system also sit on brass footers, and solid maple racks.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Answers