Full-Band Setting

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The point of using a subwoofer is not only alleviating the floorstanders of bass but also to better reproduce bass in a more ideal location as well as more efficiently. First of all, do not do double bass as in set your speakers to large and run your subwoofer in the same bad. This will cause cancellation issues and phase issues at the LP (peaks and nulls). Usually where your floorstanders are positioned is not ideal for bass reproduction and thus this is where the subwoofer comes in. You can place the sub in a more ideal location to reproduce the lowest frequencies best.

Your floorstanders woofers roll in around 125hz so if you set your XO to 80hz your floorstanders will START to roll off at 80hz. Remember crossovers are not brick walls so the fronts will still be reproducing frequencies below the XO. If you're running a movie setup, I would recommend setting the sub at 80hz to handle the midbass frequencies to create the "chest bump" effect and slam. Your floorstanders won't be as adequate to handle the LFE effects as your sub would be.

Nailed it!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dbKiller
    dbKiller Posts: 316
    edited January 2014
    Options
    In the end that is why is set mine like I have it. The floorstanders seem to sound better and the bass sounds better with lower frequencies from the sub only. But like I said a few minutes ago, I am still learning.
    Home Theater: LG 60PB450; Pioneer Elite SC55; RT2000P; RT55P; CS400p; FX500; SVS PB12-Plus/2; PS3 360GB

Office: Onkyo TX-NR616; RT2000i; RT800i; CS400i; DSW Micropro 4000; XBOX 360 250GB; LG BR370; Panasonic Plasma

Bedroom: Sony STR-DH820; CS400p; RT55p; Sony Grand Wega 55"

Retired: Sony STR-DN840; Yamaha HTR-6130; Sony STR-DN520; Paradigm Phantom V.3; Paradigm CS-270V.3, Cinema ADP V.3, PS1000 V.4; Polk S6; Onkyo TX-NR809; Monitor 50, CS1; FXi3; PSW350
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited January 2014
    Options
    dbKiller wrote: »
    In the end that is why is set mine like I have it. The floorstanders seem to sound better and the bass sounds better with lower frequencies from the sub only. But like I said a few minutes ago, I am still learning.

A sub which is made to be dedicated for reproducing the lowest of the low frequencies would be better suited than most mains to reproduce frequencies <100hz if its setup properly and EQ-ed. It takes a lot of time and effort to properly setup a sub into a system. It's not as easy as hooking it up and setting it down in the most convenient location. It's experimentation and time. This is where people usually falter and become dismissive of subs

My mains could do 30hz easily in room but they certainly don't do it as well as my sub or as efficiently. By using a sub you can get away with just EQ-ing the sub channel. In the end, it's personal experience that has shown me what a sub can actually do. Sure graphs are great and all and they give you a keen insight into what's happening but if you don't like the sound then what's the point. But I have never heard anyone poo poo getting rid of nulls and peaks. A flat response is a different issue as well as some people might prefer some midbass bump. But smoothing peaks and nulls are a no brainer.

As far as measuring devices go, it can lead to unorthodox and counterintuitive solutions. I as many others have issues in the bass region and the best solution was to set the high pass XO at 80hz and the low pass XO at 50hz leaving a 30hz gap. Again XO's aren't brick walls and this actually yielded the best and smoothest response and I have honestly never heard bass this tight and defined once I got rid of all the peaks in that region. Placement of the sub also helped plenty and again measuring it allowed me to quickly and accurately judge each position with my ears and the aid of a graph.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • dirtydenim86
    dirtydenim86 Posts: 95
    edited January 2014
    Options
    aboroth00 wrote: »
    Bass is a confusing topic. If you're running full range speakers, set your speakers to small if you intend to use a sub. You do not want the mains and the sub to play the same frequencies. The reason for this is that, since the sub and mains are playing the same frequencies, you run the risk of cancellation and phase issues as frequencies would combine destructively and constructively. Instead of worrying about the phase at the XO point, you have to worry whether the mains and subs are in phase at all the frequencies shared. The cancellation and reinforcement would create peaks and nulls in the bass region (we don't want this). In addition, the mains may not be in an ideal location and thus cause more havoc. When the speakers are set to small, the speakers do not play the frequencies below the XO point but instead the sub would.

The unreserved recommendation if you're doing HT, set the XO higher ~60-80hz. I would prefer 80hz and set the speakers to small. No if's and or but's about this. If you have trouble with integration, don't lower the XO, get an EQ, measuring equipment to see what's going on. You want the sub to handle the LFE effects, to give you that slam without taxing the mains. Subs have much higher wattage amps (usually class D) to handle transients and dynamics on the low end. If you want more bass, get another sub, don't roll in your mains to do the duty. If you want smoother bass response, again get measuring euqipment and an EQ. This may be up for debate if you want to do music, but for HT, that's how the big boys roll.

I have mine set to 40Hz right now I'll play around and raise them to 60Hz and allow my PSW505 to handle those lower frequencies.

I pretty much only use my system for HT.
    Onkyo TX-NR809
    RTI10 Polk Audio Front Tower Speakers
    RTI4 Polk Audio Bookself
    CSi5 Center Channel RTI Series
    PSW505 12" Subwoofer
  • dirtydenim86
    dirtydenim86 Posts: 95
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I know this is a bit off the thread topic but I have a few other concerns and questions regarding my setup.

1) I updated my Onkyo Receivers firmware and decided to run the auto setup once again after that was done I noticed that the volume is significantly louder. Normally I would play movies at volume 70-75 but now it seems that is just way too loud I have to adjust the volume down to 60 now.

2) I have never really noticed how much bass comes out of the PSW505 I do have a smaller home theater room but since the firmware upgrade I have had to set the volume on my sub to around 10% and it still pumps.

For level calibration I have the following set:

Right and Left = -2.5dB
    Center= -7.0dB
    Surround Right and Left= -4.0dB
    Subwoofer= +1.5dB

I have been doing some reading but am really a rookie when it comes to audio.
    Onkyo TX-NR809
    RTI4 Polk Audio Bookself
    PSW505 12" Subwoofer
  • aboroth00
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have mine set to 40Hz right now I'll play around and raise them to 60Hz and allow my PSW505 to handle those lower frequencies.

I pretty much only use my system for HT.

Give it a shot. I run a mostly music setup so I keep my XO lower but when I was doing mostly HT, I left it at 80hz. I wanted the chest bump, bass explosions, yadda yadda to be handled by the sub in the midbass region (60-80hz). When you set the XO higher, the subs will excite more and different room modes which becomes more challenging especially without EQ in your case.

Usually for most guys, the keep their speakers away from walls to produce the best imaging/bass because the further you move the speakers into the room the less the room affects the bass response (reinforcing or detracting). But for HT, we have to neglect that factor because we want the most/best bass and we thus redirect the bass to the subs. Mains for movie bass are wimpy compared to a good sub.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that firmware upgrade but changing settings in the Auto-calibration process WILL change the volume you get at the same setting either louder or softer.

On my system, when I calibrated what was very loud at 67 was not as loud...it lowered my settings all around so that if I wanted to push the sound rather than running it a 67 I'd go to 73-4 or more on the Onkyo scale after the calibration.

I would imagine the "opposite", which is what you are describing, is also possible!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • aboroth00
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I know this is a bit off the thread topic but I have a few other concerns and questions regarding my setup.

1) I updated my Onkyo Receivers firmware and decided to run the auto setup once again after that was done I noticed that the volume is significantly louder. Normally I would play movies at volume 70-75 but now it seems that is just way too loud I have to adjust the volume down to 60 now.

2) I have never really noticed how much bass comes out of the PSW505 I do have a smaller home theater room but since the firmware upgrade I have had to set the volume on my sub to around 10% and it still pumps.

For level calibration I have the following set:

Right and Left = -2.5dB
    Center= -7.0dB
    Surround Right and Left= -4.0dB
    Subwoofer= +1.5dB

I have been doing some reading but am really a rookie when it comes to audio.

I would turn down the volume on the sub to bring it in closer to the rest of your speakers. I would still use my own SPL meter or mic to verify the volume measurements with a cal disc just to make sure my source lines up with the receiver.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • dirtydenim86
    Options
    Reviving an old thread.

I have been noticing that my sub the polk 505 is a bit over kill for the room I have and might not have it in the best position also. I have the sub volume set to around 7%10% and it's just too much was wondering if it's best to set that volume high and control the volume from my receiver settings to find something that fits the room?
    Onkyo TX-NR809
    RTI4 Polk Audio Bookself
    PSW505 12" Subwoofer
  • dirtydenim86
    Options
    Going to tinker with the crossovers but right now I think I'm going to give this a try first...

2 x RTI10 Polk Audio Front Tower Speakers
    2 x RTI4 Polk Audio Bookself (for rear)
    1 x CSi5 Center Channel RTI Series Speaker
    1 x PSW505 12" Polk Audio Subwoofer

Current speaker configuration:
    Front: 40Hz (Frequency Reponse = 35Hz)
    Center: 60Hz (Frequency Reponse = 55Hz)
    Surround: 60Hz (Frequency Reponse = 50Hz)
    Sub: Highest crossver I believe it's set to 120Hz

Although most articles I've read mentioned that 80Hz might be a good place to start.
    Onkyo TX-NR809
    RTI4 Polk Audio Bookself
    PSW505 12" Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    That's because it is a good place to start. Raise the fronts to at least 65, center and surrounds 70 or above.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dirtydenim86
    Options
    I will give those setting a try and will tweak from there.

What do you think about having my fronts at full band for home theater? A no no when using a sub?

Also on the psw505 I have the volume dial set to about 7% and it gives out more than enough bass I'm thinking that the 12" might have been overkill if there is such a thing.
    Onkyo TX-NR809
    RTI4 Polk Audio Bookself
    PSW505 12" Subwoofer
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    Options
    What do you think about having my fronts at full band for home theater? A no no when using a sub?

If your speakers and amplification can handle the fronts at full range it should be fine. Just set your subwoofer to kick in where your fronts start to roll off. If you like the results then go with it
  • dirtydenim86
    Options
    If I set my crossovers to:

Front: 60Hz (Frequency Reponse = 35Hz)
    Center: 80Hz (Frequency Reponse = 55Hz)
    Surround: 80Hz (Frequency Reponse = 50Hz)

Can I set the LFE for my Sub to 60Hz? Or should I keep it at 120Hz?

If set to 120Hz will it reproduce frequencies that my Fronts will play?

Onkyo TX-NR809
    RTI4 Polk Audio Bookself
    PSW505 12" Subwoofer
  • dirtydenim86
    Options
    If I set my crossovers to:

Front: 60Hz (Frequency Reponse = 35Hz)
    Center: 80Hz (Frequency Reponse = 55Hz)
    Surround: 80Hz (Frequency Reponse = 50Hz)

Can I set the LFE for my Sub to 60Hz? Or should I keep it at 120Hz?

If set to 120Hz will it reproduce frequencies that my Fronts will play?

I think that because I'm using the LFE it won't cause any problems or audio holes.
    Onkyo TX-NR809
    RTI4 Polk Audio Bookself
    PSW505 12" Subwoofer