Svs 25-31 pc?

warviper
warviper Posts: 585
Any body own one or have thoughts on it. Just wondering how strong it would be for HT purpose. Thanx for the replys.
Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
Post edited by warviper on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2004
    I know someone around here will chime in...

Having said that...I own the 16-46 and love it. Can you afford the 21-39 though...it will go a bit lower and still give you good dbs are common frequencies...
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited August 2004
    It all depends on your room size and shape. E-mail the guys at SVS with your room dimensions and any openings and they will tell you which sub is best for you.
  • warviper
    edited August 2004
    No there is one over at the Htf for sale and I was wondering how powerfull it was considering it seems to be the smallest of the svs line up. It would replacing a deftech psw15.
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited August 2004
    I bought one last year but had them custom tune it to 22hz. I was torn between the 20 and 25 so getting the 25 with a 22 custom port gets me the best of both worlds. I can get a little more volume out of it than the 20 would give me and it goes lower than the 25 would.

Does it have enough guts you may ask? For me and my listening habits it gives me chills. My room is 16x25, aprox, and I listen at moderate levels most of the time but on occasion like to "crank it up". It does a really great job of filling in the holes durring standard listening and makes enough base so everything in the room and ajoining rooms shake.

It hits hard but is not boomy like subs I've had in the past. In my mind, the 25 was worth the $ esspecially when tuned to 22.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2004
    I was wondering how powerfull it was considering it seems to be the smallest of the svs line up

It actually plays the loudest of the three PCi models in the common bass ranges >23 Hz.

Check the SVS website for Doc Johnson's review of that model.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Sami
    edited August 2004
    If it is a PC and not PCi then it actually is with the older element, not the ISD.
  • warviper
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by Sami
    If it is a PC and not PCi then it actually is with the older element, not the ISD.

Lol damit Sami You gotta learn to type in english.:D Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. First off what is an element and what is an Isd?
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited August 2004
    War,
    I have one of those bad baby's myself.
    My room is 14x13 and I must say it fills the room like a wet dream.
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • warviper
    edited August 2004
    So from what I understand is that the 25-31pc is the older model whencompared to the 25-31pci. So does that mean that the pci would be the better model of the two and if there was only a 50 dollars difference between the two the pci would be the way to go?
  • Lee Bailey
    Lee Bailey Posts: 71
    edited August 2004
    I've had one since early 2001. Serial number 10. The 'element' is the driver. I've upgraded it to the newer model, as well as upgrading the 190watt amp to the newer Bash 300watt amp. This is one great subwoofer for an HT system. You'll note that of the cylinder models, it is actually the loudest. I use it in our living room, which is 16W X 24L with an arched ceiling. The house shakes real well when you want it to. Try the ice fields scene from Titan A.E. to knock your socks off. You can see what it looks like, and what it took to upgrade it on my site.

BTW, both upgrades were $129.00 a piece. The old driver and amp were returned as part of the deal.
    Please feel free to visit my Home Theater Page at The Bailey's Home Theatre in our Living Room.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2004
    Get the newer pci model. the newer pci model has the ISD (Improved Standard Driver) in it. It is better than the original driver (which I have in my DIY sub). From what I've read the older driver has a tendancy to bottom our (reach xmax) rather easily in the 27-30hz region (where a lot of DVD bass exists). My driver hasn't done that yet because I don't over drive it. Both models are good but if it's only a $50 price difference get the new driver model.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Sami
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by warviper
    Lol damit Sami You gotta learn to type in english.:D Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. First off what is an element and what is an Isd?
    Element is the one that produces the sound. Some call it driver. ISD = improved standard driver.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2004
    SVS hasn't made the "PC" since 2001. In December of 2001 the "PCi" was born with the 320 watt BASH amp and the ISD woofer.

The PCi (new or used) is a better sub than the first generation PC and is recommended.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • warviper
    edited August 2004
    Im trying to lock down the deal on the Pci I already said Id buy it I wonder whats taking so long for him to respond.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited August 2004
    here is the PCI 22-31 in my room (free 22hz tune)

Starts at 85db 100hz -- drops off at 81db 15hz
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • warviper
    edited August 2004
    Thanx for all the info guys. It seems as if I let that svs slip through my fingers.

So according to the chart is the pci level svs not capable of doing 100+dbs because if Im not mistaken Treys room is realitilvy small. But I like the way that it stays strong all the way to 20 though.
  • Sami
    edited August 2004
    I got my old 16-46PCi up to 106dB (uncorrected RS meter reading) and my room is quite large. 4*6m with an opening in the back. I don't think that charts purpose is to display max output rather than response curve.
  • warviper
    edited August 2004
    No I was not refering to max either. It was just some thing I noticed.

How hard are you pushing the Svs Trey?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited August 2004
    That chart is based on 85db, 100hz, corrected

Setup -

Mains - Polk Audio RTi70 - Set To Large
    Sub wired with LFE cable, y splitter at the R&L Inputs

Room -

10.5x10.5x8

I can hit up to probally about 115-120 max on some songs and movies - that is clean! I have since though turned down my subwoofer to acomodate my smaller mains at the moment...

But, SVS is accurate and insanely loud

You won't be dissapointed....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.