Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player - Review

Introduction

I have spent a month evaluating and listening to the Bryston BDP-1 digital player, and I am still convinced that this was one of the best audio investments I ever made. I have been impressed with every aspect of this player: sound quality, build quality, added control functionality to my two channel system, and Bryston's top notch customer service.

BDP-1-BlueLightsCr-s_zpsc095fc0f.jpg
Figure 1. I had to do without my BDP-1 for 22 days while it was having the display and power LED changed from green to blue.

An earlier "first impressions" review was more technical in nature and discussed trials with different power cables, power quality tweaks, isolation products, and interconnect cables. This review is about the sound. The "first impressions" review can be accessed here:

Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player First Impressions

Equipment Setup

The BDP-1 is connected to the DAC section of my Cary Audio CD 306 Professional Version CD/SACD player by a Signal Cable BNC-to-RCA digital coax cable. I had a bit of an itch to acquire a standalone DAC for the BDP-1, but advisement from Cary Audio and other CD 306 owners indicated that I would need to look at DACs in the $5,000 to $10,000+ range before I realized an improvement. That cooled my enthusiasm for a new DAC considerably. It also provided additional justification for the CD 306 Pro Version's $8,000 retail price.

CabTopAngleViewCrp1-s_zps4bf88fff.jpg
Figure 2. In the future, when I am more dedicated to audio than I am now, I will replace the BDP-1 with the feature-rich BDP-2. The BDP-1 will go to the home theater system.

Listening Evaluation Methodology

BDP-1MusicEvals-s_zps601770eb.jpg
Figure 3. The BDP-1 was a convenient and commendable alternative to spinning higher resolution vinyl and SACD discs.

My critical evaluation methodology consists of making detailed notes of the location and sound quality of images within the sound stage. These notes are supplemented with sound stage charts that map the locations and relative sizes of sound images from an aerial and from a lateral viewpoint.

Media played through the BDP-1 were 44.1 kHz/16 bit FLAC files ripped from CDs, 96 kHz/24 bit FLAC files, and 176 kHz/24 bit FLAC files. When possible, FLAC versions of songs were compared to their vinyl record, CD, and SACD versions. Generally the hierarchy of sound quality, on a scale of 1 to 10, was as follows:

1. Vinyl records (10).
2. SACD (9 to 10).
3. HiRez 24 bit FLAC files (7).
4. CD ripped to 16 bit FLAC files (6.5 to 7.5). (Surprise!)
5. CD (5.5).

I was sometimes disappointed in the sound quality of 176 kHz/24 bit FLAC files that sounded lower in quality than the CD or ripped CD versions. For example, the hierarchy of sound quality for Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" album was

1. Vinyl record (180 gram audiophile pressing) and SACD were indistinguishable from each other.
2. CD ripped to 44.1 kHz/16 bit FLAC files.
3. CD.
4. 176 kHz/24 bit "HiRez" FLAC files.

The 176/24 FLAC files from the "Time Out" album sounded apparently lower in sound level (although it measured the same level as the other versions), sounded slower in pace, there was a reduction in depth and image size, and there was a slight veiling of the sound.

With Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" album, the hierarchy of sound quality was

1. SACD.
2. CD ripped to 44.1 kHz/16 bit FLAC files.
3. CD.
4. Vinyl record (180 gram audiophile pressing).

Generally, as I progressed from CD to 16 bit FLAC files ripped from CD to HiRez 24 bit FLAC files to SACD to vinyl, the sound images stayed in the same lateral locations, but there was increasing depth, increasing image size, increasing image weight, and increasing ambient information.

I no longer use my SACD/CD player to play CDs. The ripped FLAC versions of my CDs sound apparently louder (although the sound level measures the same), sound much more "live" and dynamic, and are overall more detailed. In addition to all these sonic benefits, I can program an evenings worth of my favorite music from many different CDs.

It's a shame that Sony and Philips were so heavy handed and narrow-minded in their implementation of the SACD format. I wish I could make compilation discs of my favorite SACD tracks and buy SACD downloads.

2ChanLeftViewBDP1-s_zps057d0642.jpg
Figure 4. An evening of Sade used to mean burning several compilation CDs, or running back and forth to the CD player. Now, I just pull up a saved playlist of my Sade favorites.

011BPD-1Laptop-Phone-Remote-s_zps3be327e5.jpg
Figure 5. Lots of options for controlling the BDP-1: computer, remote control, smartphone.

2ChanFrontBDP1-s_zps29a9bbe0.jpg
Figure 6. Such Good Sound...made better!

In summary, the BDP-1 has breathed new life into my CD collection, which is my primary listening medium. Playing ripped 16/44.1 FLAC files, and high quality 96/24 and 176/24 HiRez files provides more three dimensional sound, more clarity and detail, sharper and faster transients, more ambient information, heavier and larger images, and more defined and detailed ambient information compared to Redbook CD from disc. Bypassing my CD/SACD player's transport mechanism bypasses a lot of detail-robbing mechanical and electrical noise. I can only wonder about the benefits I would receive from being able to play SACD files from the BDP-1.

SACD and vinyl generally provide better, more detailed, more true to life music reproduction, but SACD has some ugly tradeoffs with regard to music management, user convenience, and the inability to backup your SACD collection. Vinyl, with all its wet cleaning, cartridge wear, "Rube Goldberg" setup and maintenance rituals, user inconvenience, and expense, relegate it to "occasional treat" status. SACD is also relegated to "occasional treat" status due to the scarce availability of titles I am interested in. There is also the occasional threat of a poorly produced SACD that sounds no better than, or worse than, its Redbook counterpart.

2ChanCabTopViewBDP1-s_zpsf2e41fc5.jpg
Figure 7. It's as if my two channel system, and my ears, had been waiting for something like the BDP-1. It was easily integrated into my stereo system and my home local area network.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!

Comments

• References

A Comparison of the SACD, CD, and LP Versions of Six Titles

Episode 3: The Return of Digital - Cary Audio CD 306 Professional Version

Associated Equipment

Teres Audio Model 255 turntable
    Graham Phantom II tonearm
    Ortofon MC Windfeld phono cartridge
    Sonic Purity Concepts and Design "The Clamp" record clamp
    Cary Audio CD 306 Professional Version SACD/CD/HDCD player
    PS Audio PowerBase isolation platforms for turntable and SACD player
    Black Diamond Racing isolation Pits and Mk IV Cones
    Pass Labs XP-30 line level preamplifier
    Pass Labs XP-25 phono preamplifier
    Pass Labs X600.5 monoblock power amplifiers
    AudioQuest Sky XLR interconnects
    AudioQuest Everest speaker cables
    AudioQuest LeoPard tonearm cable
    Signal Cable BNC-RCA digital coaxial cable
    PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 power cords
    PS Audio PerfectWave P-10 AC Regenerator
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL loudspeakers (heavily modified)
    Salamander Synergy Triple 30 audio credenza

Three 20 amp dedicated ac circuits, one each for the monoblock amplifiers and one for the AC regenerator/source components/preamplifiers serve the two channel system.

Power amps are plugged into the wall. Preamps and source components are plugged into the PS Audio P-10 ac regenerator.
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    Thanks for the review DK.Are you feeding the Bryston wirelessly from your laptop,usb stick or other?
    Looks like wireless but want to confirm.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • brgman wrote: »
    Are you feeding the Bryston wirelessly from your laptop,usb stick or other? Looks like wireless but want to confirm.

Music files are stored on a 500 GB Samsung solid state drive that is connected to one of the rear USB ports.

From the "First Impressions" thread:
    I compared a Samsung 840 EVO SATA III 500 GB solid state drive to a Western Digital My Passport 1 TB disk drive. There was no difference in test signal measurements, no perceived difference in sound quality, and no difference in file access timing and performance.

My reasons for keeping the solid state drive are:

1. I expect that there might be a performance benefit with a solid state drive compared to hard disk drive as more music is stored. I only have 52 GB (94 CDs) ripped to FLAC at the moment.

2. I expect to switch to a BDP-2 in the near future and the solid state drive can be mounted internally in the BDP-2.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    DK every time I see your setup, I am in awe.

Not only your gear selection, but your attention to detail in everything is amazing.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I can only wonder about the benefits I would receive from being able to play SACD files from the BDP-1.

Hopefully, Bryston upgraded your firmware to the latest versions. That version will play DSD files, but you need a DAC capable of playing DSD files. Will the Cary accept DSD on its digital input?

Personally, while my Auralic Vega DAC will play DSD, I haven't tried it yet.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Yes, I have the latest firmware that plays DSD files. The Cary only accepts PCM input. I have sent an inquiry to Cary asking if the CD 306 PV can be easily modified to accept DSD.
  • BlueFox
    I have sent an inquiry to Cary asking if the CD 306 PV can be easily modified to accept DSD.

Good luck with that. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox wrote: »
    Good luck with that. :)

I won't be heartbroken if the answer is NO!

Since there is no easy way to rip my own DSD files, and since there will be few new titles released in DSD format, and since I would not repurchase my music collection in DSD format even if such were available at a reasonable cost, I am quite happy with what I am getting from PCM...and vinyl.

• Update:
    IntroductionIn the future, when I am more dedicated to audio than I am now, I will replace the BDP-1 with the feature-rich BDP-2. The BDP-1 will go to the home theater system.[/b]

The future got here sooner than I expected. I have a BDP-2 on the way.
    Since there is no easy way to rip my own DSD files, and since there will be few new titles released in DSD format, and since I would not repurchase my music collection in DSD format even if such were available at a reasonable cost, I am quite happy with what I am getting from PCM...and vinyl.

I got in touch with the SACD ripping community and found some excellent tutorials on ripping SACD to DSD. It did take some effort to find my preferred model (CECHE01, ca. 2007) of the four ancient Sony PlayStation 3 models that play SACD discs and that can be hacked to produce ISO files that can be used to produce DSD files.

• BlueFox
    DK, you are really into the 'Dark Side'. :)

Other than more memory, and able to handle larger drives, according to Bryston there is no difference between the BDP-1 and BDP-2.

While SACD ripping has been known for years, Sony has realized their mistake and are now offering DSD for download. Of course, if what you want is not yet available then ripping is the way to go for immediate gratification.

Three 20 amp circuits.
    DK, you are really into the 'Dark Side'. :)

Yes, and everything is better over here. B)
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Other than more memory, and able to handle larger drives, according to Bryston there is no difference between the BDP-1 and BDP-2.

My initial plan was to buy another BDP-1 for my home theater system, then I changed my mind and decided to upgrade to the BDP-2 for the two channel system and move the BDP-1 to the home theater.

There are a few BDP-1's on Audiogon right now, but the BDP-2's extra memory/larger drive capability might come in handy some day...and of course I am curious as to whether there would be an audible difference between them in my system.
    While SACD ripping has been known for years, Sony has realized their mistake and are now offering DSD for download.

Sony's hindsight is legendary. They should patent it.

• BlueFox
    To be honest, I have been thinking of getting a BDP-2, and moth balling a BDP-1 as a spare. I like spares. My thinking is that a BDP-2 with an internal SSD might sound better than a BDP-1 with an external USB drive attached with the cheapo cable that comes with these drives. At this point I am not ready to go with a NAS since I don't want to deal with determining if Ethernet cables can make an audible difference. Where are Hanabero Monk and villian when you need them. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Oh Please Fox....for God's sake don't start that again.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited December 2014
    My thinking is that a BDP-2 with an internal SSD might sound better than a BDP-1 with an external USB drive attached with the cheapo cable that comes with these drives.

I've wondered about that myself. When my BDP-2 gets here, I will compare internal drive to external drive, and of course BDP-1 to BDP-2.

I have had the BDP-1in my home theater system for the last two days. It is paired with my ancient (ca. 2003) Sony TA-E9000ES audio/video processor. The TA-E9000ES has a maximum bit rate/bit depth of 96k/24. The sound is outstanding and is more detailed and weighty compared to spinning CDs in either the Blu-ray or CD players.
    At this point I am not ready to go with a NAS since I don't want to deal with determining if Ethernet cables can make an audible difference. Where are Hanabero Monk and villian when you need them. :)

Since you mentioned it, I wondered what that sage ol' anti-audiophile guru has been up to. It appears that Habanero Monk (a.k.a. Jinjuku) has not been active on the AVS forum since 10-16-14. Maybe Jinjuku's alternate personality activities are not as much fun since being exposed? Maybe he is cruising the web in one (or several) of his other identities?

Jinjuku (Habanero Monk) is still thinking of us though. This is from a post in an AVS thread on 12/16/14 regarding pro amps vs. consumer audio amps:

"They [the Polk forum] even believe that Ethernet cables carrying non-realtime data can sound different. Not the place to go to for any advice based even remotely in a what is considered a logical thought process or based on how things actually work."

"AVS Forum - Jinjuku's wisdom - "The Polk forum is a bad, bad, place (that's why I keep sneaking back in after being banned)."

Jinjuku (Habanero Monk) is also still crusading against the evil amplifier manufacturers who would have you believe that there are audible differences between competently designed amplifiers:

"Amps are now a commodity item. Pick one from a reputable manufacturer and spend money on room treatment, speakers, and may be a bit of EQ to taste.

I'll say it plainly: $800 or less should get 99.9% of people out there all the amp they could need regardless of the cost of the speakers."

AVS Forum - Jinjuku's wisdom - "No one should spend more than $800 on a power amplifier."
    tonyb wrote: »
    Oh Please Fox....for God's sake don't start that again.

Why not? You don't enjoy "science-based" cable discussions?
  • BlueFox
    I have had the BDP-1in my home theater system for the last two days. It is paired with my ancient (ca. 2003) Sony TA-E9000ES audio/video processor. The TA-E9000ES has a maximum bit rate/bit depth of 96k/24. The sound is outstanding and is more detailed and weighty compared to spinning CDs in either the Blu-ray or CD players.

How do you connect the Sony with the BDP-1? What about when using the Blu-Ray or CD player? Do you use their DACs or the Sony's DAC?

Three 20 amp circuits.
    How do you connect the Sony with the BDP-1? What about when using the Blu-Ray or CD player? Do you use their DACs or the Sony's DAC?

I use a BNC-to-RCA 75 ohm digital cable to connect the BDP-1's digital output to the Sony's coaxial digital CD input.

I use the Blu-Ray player's DAC. The Blu-Ray player is not connected to the TAE-9000ES.The Blu-Ray player's analog outputs are connected to a Sony TAP-9000ES pure analog preamp. The CD player is connected to the TAE-9000ES's CD optical digital input.

The TAP-9000ES is the5.1 channel analog companion preamp for the 5.1 channel TAE-9000ES digital preamp/processor. The TAE-9000ES's pre-outs are connected to the TAP-9000ES's 5.1 channel bypass inputs. When I want to listen to a source connected to the TAE-9000ES, I switch the TAP-9000ES to bypass mode. Refer to the attached page from the TAP-9000ES's manual.

• tonyb

Actually I do....but only with those who don't have their brains locked in the dungeon of only science.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited December 2014
    tonyb wrote: »

Actually I do....but only with those who don't have their brains locked in the dungeon of only science.

I know you do. I was being facetious.

I put "science-based" in quotes because the anti-audiophile skeptic typically relies on pseudo-science to "support" their claims. For example, "blind testing is the ONLY way to address personal biases".

• tonyb
    edited December 2014
    I know you were pal.

I think we have all been down that road of science in audio. Sometimes it makes perfect sense, sometimes none at all. Why one piece with the perfect specs, perfect science behind it sounds like crap and another whose science says it should sound like horse poo....but actually sounds good.

Science is a tool, but not the only tool. That is what separates many in the audio world. Simply too many variables goes into good audio to start writing written in stone statements. Which those who have their beliefs solely in science tend to do.

Looking forward to your BDP 2 review.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    I am looking forward to it also, especially the comparison between internal and external drives. I also wonder if the additional memory for buffering a file will have a positive effect on the sound.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    Yeah well, looks like we both need to pull up a chair, set aside a couple hours to digest a DK review.

The man does a thorough review, you can never take that away from him. That's why I enjoy everything he reviews.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    DK Have you listen to the 45rpm Vinyl version of "Dave Brubeck's Timeout" ?
    Its now my Favorite Vinyl LP.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz wrote: »
    DK Have you listen to the 45rpm Vinyl version of "Dave Brubeck's Timeout" ?
    Its now my Favorite Vinyl LP.

I didn't know there was a 45rpm version of "Timeout". I have the 200g 33-1/3rpm version.

Is your copy a recent purchase? A quick web search indicates that Analog Productions was having some quality control issues a couple of years ago. It seems that it was hit or miss whether or not you received a good copy.

'Time Out' 45 rpm from AP -- so disappointing
    I am looking forward to it also, especially the comparison between internal and external drives. I also wonder if the additional memory for buffering a file will have a positive effect on the sound.

I don't expect to receive the BDP-2 until the mid-January. I wanted the blue display/blue LED option, which is special order.

I'm thinking that if there is any difference in sound between the BDP-1 and BDP-2, it is mostly attributable to the BDP-2's improved power supply. My BDP-1 was very sensitive to power quality/power cord changes.

• BlueFox

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    BlueFox,

Those two reviews certainly reaffirm the proposition that you have to listen to components with your own ears.

Can't wait to hear what DK says, but I guess we'll have to wait while Bryston installs those blue LEDs! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited December 2014
    DK

Yes I got mine about 5-6 months ago and have several of the 45rpm now and all sound great without any problems...@gce is another who has pick it up recently and said he really like it. he got me to buy Natalie Merchants "Tigerlily" in 45rpm and thats a must own.

thanks for the reviews as it is interesting how sometimes Vinyl sounds the worse and sometimes the best..make sense though. but basically it sounds like you found removing a CD/SACD player removes a lot of noise... hence your adding fuel to dskip's opinion that CD's are going away, but I'm keeping my Vinyl!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • BlueFox,Those two reviews certainly reaffirm the proposition that you have to listen to components with your own ears.

And on your own system.
    voltz wrote: »
    Yes I got mine about 5-6 months ago and have several of the 45rpm now and all sound great without any problems...@gce is another who has pick it up recently and said he really like it. he got me to buy Natalie Merchants "Tigerlily" in 45rpm and thats a must own.

OK. I'll go ahead and pick up yet another "Take Five".
    for the reviews as it is interesting how sometimes Vinyl sounds the worse and sometimes the best..make sense though.

When vinyl sounds worse, it's not always the artist's or recording engineer's fault. Vinyl is more affected by defects in manufacturing the physical media and by transportation mishandling. An excellent performance recorded in an excellent studio by an excellent engineer and recorded on an excellent master tape can be ruined by an off-center spindle hole, by cheap, low quality abrasive vinyl, or by improper storage and transportation methods that cause warping.
    but basically it sounds like you found removing a CD/SACD player removes a lot of noise... hence your adding fuel to dskip's opinion that CD's are going away, but I'm keeping my Vinyl!

CDs have already gone away in my mind. I now consider them to be backup media rather than playable media. I'd never buy another physical disc if that option were widely available ... similar to the way that I don't by software apps on physical media if the download option is offered.

I am very happy about being able to bypass a source of mechanical and electrical noise.

I am very disappointed by the record companies' price gouging for digital downloads. They don't have to manufacture a disc, then package it, store it, and ship it, so why demand that people pay more for a digital download title than the same title on physical media?

• tonyb
    DSkip wrote: »
    I still buy cd's due to the backup and to drop them in the car at times, but they never get played in my main rig after getting ripped.

Same here except I haven't bought a new cd in a long time. If it doesn't have at least 4-5 songs I like on it, why bother. One or 2 good tunes isn't enough for me to open the wallet. Besides that squeak hurts my ears anyway.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    That is one thing about downloads that irks me, you have to buy the whole album versus the songs you like. In regard to DK's valid comment regarding the high price of downloads, while gouging does apply, I suspect the cost of piracy is built into the price. Once we download an album we can give the files to anyone we want.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • All because it costs more and it is newer does not mean it is better. So many are victims