plz correct me if i'm wrong!

etrigan
etrigan Posts: 160
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
good day eh!, i have a pair of rt800i's and a cs 400i, that i wish to experiment with by biwiring. they are now hooked up w/bare wire solder tipped 12g straight thru the hole in the post-no way i could i get another 12 or 16g thru that hole! am i correct in assuming the least expensive way to do this (w/o buying a special biwire cable,like a monster m1-4) is get another run term. w/banana or a straight pin (which should fit) ? if i am correct,are there any bananas or straights that do not just "twist" on-that connection just never seemed secure enough to me. thanx in advance. CHEERS! jefff
Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
Post edited by etrigan on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2002
    Yes there are banana plugs out there that are much better than the twist on ones. When I first hooked up my speakers.. i used the twist on ones too. after a while they began to "un-twist".. so several times I found them nearly unhooked.. so I changed them out.

I found a dual banana plug that works well with Polk speakers that you want to bi-wire. I bi wired my 800i's and CS400i last month.

Anyway, the dual banana plugs can be found at Radio Shack (I know, Radio **** is crap... ) but as long as you stay away from their electronics you're okay. so well, these dual plugs have a long screw that allows you to really clamp down on the speaker wire. and they will accept 12 guage wire. an added bonus on these dual plugs.. is they at the end of them.. they can accept another banana plug into it.

check them out.. they run about 5 bucks a piece. makes bi wiring your speakers much easier than bare wires.

I'm sure there are other dual banana plugs on the market... in case you can't bring yourself to step foot in Radio Shack. ha ha ha.
    P.S. They would not work on my Marantz receiver.. probably because it's made overseas or something.. the spacing was incorrect to be able to plug them into the back of the unit.
    good luck
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited March 2002
    thanx danger boy,i will certainly look into those-how do u like the results of your biwiring (slight impovement? major difference?)-can't wait to try this myself! CHEERS! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2002
    Jeff,

I noticed a slight improvement in the overall sound after I bi wired the three fronts. The sound seemed to open up a bit more.. meaning.. it's more diffused to my ears. Before it seemed the sound from the fronts was too directional, and if you weren't in the very sweet spot.. it sounded off just a little bit.

I think you'll like the effect of bi wiring yours too.
    good luck with the dual banana plugs if you decide to go that route. they worked well for me.
    Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: