Network player for music only

Options

Comments

• Easy Runnin
    Options
    French

It sounds like your in the market for a AVR. If that's the case why not just get a receiver with DNLA and an Ethernet connection. I use an Integra receiver, media monkey on my PC and an app called Oremote. In my case the receiver is hard wired and my PC is wireless. Works good for me, no dropouts
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    There's a limit on the size of the Sonos library. I think 65k tracks? There are workarounds, but none I'm willing to try yet.

I love Sonos at the beach where I mostly stream. The software is excellent - handles a smaller library effortlessly - and streaming from Spotify, Linn, Radio Paradise, and a few others, is at 320.

But at home where I archive everything and SQ is more important, I'm sticking with SBT's. I have frequent problems with the system due to slow old PC, very heavy traffic, thick old mesh/stucco walls, slow NAS, and cumbersome library w/ growing % high rez vinyl rips, but when it works, you can't beat it for a flexible interconnected network of high quality players. And most folks won't have any of the infrastructure problems I have.

I am going to try one of the W4S Remedy reclockers on both systems in the next couple months. Anyone have experience with a Remedy on either system?

Craig
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Options
    not sure if it's been mentioned yet but if you like the type of player the Sonos is, i would also look at Bluesound from the makers of NAD. Its gotten really nice reviews and it plays Hires which the Sonos does not.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    French

It sounds like your in the market for a AVR. If that's the case why not just get a receiver with DNLA and an Ethernet connection. I use an Integra receiver, media monkey on my PC and an app called Oremote. In my case the receiver is hard wired and my PC is wireless. Works good for me, no dropouts
    es

Yes, totally spaced the AVR route !! That and if you have a newer TV set up
    that has a USB then an external hard drive will play the content and even show tracks on your TV screen. I am doing this in my living room, and working great. Not the same as the Stream Magic, but like I said, you get what you pay for.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • French_guy
    Options
    coolsax wrote: »
    not sure if it's been mentioned yet but if you like the type of player the Sonos is, i would also look at Bluesound from the makers of NAD. Its gotten really nice reviews and it plays Hires which the Sonos does not.
    Bluesound Node is ~$400....at this price, i should start to look at the Marantz NA7004....
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Ha.....Phil has the bragging rights of turning me into a Sonos fanboy.

I'm not saying Sonos is the cream of the crop of music streamers at any price, but taking everything into consideration, in it's own price category, it certainly is tops.

One of the main things that would bug me about streaming is dependability, dropouts, and crappy software to use. Sonos has conquered all of that and then some. My 68 year old mother in-law who is far from being acquainted with electronic gizmo's was using it inside 2 minutes.

Think of it as a transport, it just simply takes your files and delivers to the playing system. Depending on how good your playing system is, or quality of your files, will have more to do with the SQ you'll get out of it. I couldn't be more happy with this little box, and it's the software and dependability that make this product what it is.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    French_guy wrote: »
    Quick question: why the Sonos has analog inputs?

You use the analog outs if you want to use the dac built into the unit. Perfect example would be if you want to hook up to a vintage receiver, which doesn't have them.

I use a old Sony receiver for one system with speaker A-B switching so I can cover 2 area's with one box. One for the kitchen, and speaker b for the outside deck speakers.

The other Sonos is a Cullen modded one for the main rig. I've been using Sonos for about 5 years now with no hiccups, Phil has been even longer. Just be warned, the WAF factor is pretty high on this little thing, she may eventually kick your butt to the curb and keep the Sonos.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

I'm not saying Sonos is the cream of the crop of music streamers at any price, but taking everything into consideration, in it's own price category, it certainly is tops.

One of the main things that would bug me about streaming is dependability, dropouts, and crappy software to use. Sonos has conquered all of that and then some. My 68 year old mother in-law who is far from being acquainted with electronic gizmo's was using it inside 2 minutes.

Think of it as a transport, it just simply takes your files and delivers to the playing system. Depending on how good your playing system is, or quality of your files, will have more to do with the SQ you'll get out of it. I couldn't be more happy with this little box, and it's the software and dependability that make this product what it is.

I didn't know Sonos supported FLAC files?? When I was shopping for streamers I was told that Sonos did not support FLAC?? Anyway, I doubt my beat up ears could tell the difference, even though all I have to reference to anymore are FLAC files, I'm sure the Sonos sounds great with a great system.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • French_guy
    Options
    I was talking about the inputs....
    No surround...yet
  • tonyb
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yes, it supports many files, but it won't support hi-rez files in any format. So yeah, 16/44 flac files is fine, but 24/96 or higher flac files is a no go. Their website is pretty slick too, tell ya all you need to know.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • French_guy
    Options
    There are 4 RCA connectors on the back:
    2 Outs (L and R)
    2 Ins (L and R) .... What for would you need those ones?
    No surround...yet
  • tonyb
    Options
    French_guy wrote: »
    There are 4 RCA connectors on the back:
    2 Outs (L and R)
    2 Ins (L and R) .... What for would you need those ones?

Outs are for connecting to vintage receivers. This allows you to use the internal dacs of the sonos. Vintage receivers only have analog inputs, they don't have dacs, you have to convert a digital file someway, yes ?

Inputs can be used to connect other devices and there is also a digital input and output. Digital output to go to a digital input on a separate dac or receiver. Digital input can be used to connect from a computer, IPOD device or any other device with digital connections. Also Ethernet for connecting to computers.

Sonos has a variety of stuff, they have their own IPOD doc too that will integrate with the rest of the system. Also stuff for HT. Visit the website, watch a few video's.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

I'm glad I got you hooked on Sonos Tony...It's the bees knees as far as I'm concerned. Yeah I know it doesn't do 24/96 just yet but it's more than likely coming down the road. But you know what that's not an issue with me. My entire CD collection that I have ripped to FLAC are all redbook 16/44.1 & when done right running thru a hi-quality DAC is phenomenal sounding.

My DAC supports hi-rez & DSD, & I've downloaded a few songs to give it a whirl & it too is phenomenal sounding. I simply run the hi-res material straight into the DAC. But for me personally the whole hi-rez format is simply too cost prohibitive at this time. The difference in sound quality simply doesn't warrant the expense as far as I'm concerned (by no means is all 24/96 better sounding than 16/44.1) In fact a lot of so called 24/96 is bogus & simply 16/44.1 upsampled. Unless the master was recorded in 24/96 your getting ripped off thinking it's a true 24/96 recording, buyer beware. I'm sure that the prices will eventually drop & at that point in time I'll take another look at downloading them.

Now for someone in the market for a server the deciding factor would be how it's going to be used. For strictly a two channel system in one room there are an awful lot of options out there. But if you're looking for a combination two channel & whole house music system then I have to give Sonos the nod there without any hesitation. Pair the Sonos with a hi-quality DAC that does 24/96 & DSD & you have all bases covered.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Well said Phil, also points I've made myself about the hi-rez industry. It wasn't long ago we were all getting our panties twisted over the next cdp to come out with the latest and greatest dac chip upsampling everything it played. Seems to me we were all pretty tickled with the SQ then.

That's all I myself am looking for in a streamer, YMMV of course. Plus lets be honest for second here, how many excellent recordings on cd do most of us have ? I'll be willing to bet most of the cd's you have, or have downloaded on your 'puter are less than stellar.

That leaves you a few choices, spend the coin and re-buy all your music, or obtain gear that won't emphasis the recordings shortcommings. The problem comes in when you start your upgrade path and your system starts to become more revealing. Those bad cd's/files suddenly sound worse. So you adjust...buy warmer sounding gear/cables....maybe dacs that have a more analog sound to them.

One of the first rules of fight club is "it all starts at the source". Second rule of fight club is "audio isn't a race". To some it is, but in the end it's simply about enjoying your music regardless if it's on a Hello Kitty cdp and some CV speaks, or Utopia's with VAC mono blocks.

....which brings us to the third rule of fight club, "Good sound can be had at any level". Nothing new there, we've all experienced it. Audio is about the music and how it moves you, not the nameplate on the gear you own. Make any sense ?

....fourth and final rule of fight club, "EXPERIMENT". At least as best as your wallet allows. Then and only then will the first 3 rules make any sense to you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I'm using a Synology NAS that's hard wired in my network. Works flawlessly with my Marantz, streaming up to 192/24 FLAC. The Synology also has the ability to add a USB Dac.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • shadowlight
    shadowlight Posts: 327
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @French_guy‌,

Find a low end PC with USB Dac, install Daphile and enjoy your music.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    @French_guy‌,

Find a low end PC with USB Dac, install Daphile and enjoy your music.

I'd love to hear more about this if your using it. It looks intriguing.

Is it basically like XBMC? Does it run as a PROGRAM on a PC, or does it run as a OS on the pc?

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • jhw59
    jhw59 Posts: 348
    Options
    So will Daphile stream from my various internal and external drives to my 2 channel setup? What do I need to connect to the amp so it will receive the stream? I have a DACmagic
  • shadowlight
    shadowlight Posts: 327
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I had looked at Daphile about 9 months or so ago and revisiting it as replacement for some of the Squeezebox solutions (Touch, Duet, etc) and JRiver (getting tired of the constant updates). The software complete erases your existing OS and installs a Linux version (not sure what the distro that it is based on). It has LMS software installed along with Squeezelite which will act as a player. Once you hook up the USB DAC you can run it headless and use Squeeze Commander or another of the Squeezebox remotes on Android/iPad devices.

Last time I basically mounted my Windows shared drive on Daphile and configured LMS software to look at that mount point and it would stream all your files. I plan to get a fanless pc like ECS LIVA. If you plan to convert everything to DSD or up convert to 192k PCM stream you might need a faster computer.
  • French_guy
    Options
    So Daphile instals on a PC, connected onto a DAC (usb) itself hooked up to the amps or receiver
    And then you can access the Daphile PC from another PC, or tablet, to stream music sotred on your network (such as a NAS)?
    No surround...yet
  • recoveryone
    Options
    Amen brother...there's SONOS & everything else is a SONOS wanna bee, period end of story. It's rock solid design & capabilities leave all others still scratching their heads trying to catch up. It's an amazing system that simply works, never any dropouts, easy as pie to set up & anyone can operate it without any problems. You get what you pay for.
    Beg to differ on that note, the Squeezebox system was clearly a decade ahead of its time. If Logitech would have supported it when it brought out Slimdevice in the area of software development it would still be the system to beat. Squeezebox set the bar of high quality digital playback with its own audiophile level of built in dac's ( Touch & Transporter) and lead the way for streaming services. Sonos has taking a page out of the Bose advertisement playbook doing infomercials and high profile event commercials.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,450
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I had looked at Daphile about 9 months or so ago and revisiting it as replacement for some of the Squeezebox solutions (Touch, Duet, etc) and JRiver (getting tired of the constant updates). The software complete erases your existing OS and installs a Linux version (not sure what the distro that it is based on). It has LMS software installed along with Squeezelite which will act as a player. Once you hook up the USB DAC you can run it headless and use Squeeze Commander or another of the Squeezebox remotes on Android/iPad devices.

Last time I basically mounted my Windows shared drive on Daphile and configured LMS software to look at that mount point and it would stream all your files. I plan to get a fanless pc like ECS LIVA. If you plan to convert everything to DSD or up convert to 192k PCM stream you might need a faster computer.
    wow, this sounds pretty cool. I'm gonna mess around with Daphile later today if I get a break from work. I've been casually checking around for a good Squeezebox replacement. I really like my Squeezebox, but not sure how all the software works, eg., whether it needs a live connection to Logitech (I think it does since it goes down periodically and tells me it can't connect and won't play). I imagine one day they may completely pull the plug.

Side note, similar idea, additional functionality - for a while now, I've been thinking about building a small media PC, similar to what you show above with this one from NewEgg, with an optical/digital out to my processor - or even your USB DAC idea now - that way I could just use desktop apps for Spotify, Pandora, iTunes, or anything else, but that still leaves a remote control problem to address. VNC or TeamViewer could work, but it would be clunky. maybe there's something better. Also thought it would be good to have video out as well, and run some old game emulators off it just for giggles. sometimes we'll have an old-school guys night where we'll go riding our bikes, and then get Pizza or burgers or something, and watch RAD or some other cheesy 80s movie, and then maybe play Nintendo for a little while, and laugh at things we did when were were kids.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • French_guy
    French_guy Posts: 338
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm installing Daphile on a USB drive right now....Will make some test today if I can
    Now, 2 questions:
    1) What is the cpu requirement? Will a Celeron N2807 be OK (such as a BRIX)?
    2) What would be a decent/good DAC (usb flash drive type)?
    Post edited by French_guy on
    No surround...yet
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    Amen brother...there's SONOS & everything else is a SONOS wanna bee, period end of story. It's rock solid design & capabilities leave all others still scratching their heads trying to catch up. It's an amazing system that simply works, never any dropouts, easy as pie to set up & anyone can operate it without any problems. You get what you pay for.
    Beg to differ on that note, the Squeezebox system was clearly a decade ahead of its time. If Logitech would have supported it when it brought out Slimdevice in the area of software development it would still be the system to beat. Squeezebox set the bar of high quality digital playback with its own audiophile level of built in dac's ( Touch & Transporter) and lead the way for streaming services. Sonos has taking a page out of the Bose advertisement playbook doing infomercials and high profile event commercials.

Too funny! If SB was that great I'm sure Logitech would have invested in supporting it. Oh well I guess not.

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,450
    edited December 2014
    Options

Last time I basically mounted my Windows shared drive on Daphile and configured LMS software to look at that mount point and it would stream all your files.
    I just got this running. it's really fast. haven't got it hooked in yet and don't have a USB DAC, but this is basically a build-your-own Squeezebox?!? pretty cool! especially since used SBT's are going for $250-$300+ right now.

I'm gonna set it up on an old notebook for now with the 3.5mm stereo to RCA adapter just to play with the functionality. I wanted to add another SBT to my system, but I think I'm gonna try this now, instead. great share, Shadow!

I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Certainly many ways to skin that cat of streaming music gents. Each of us has our own preferences and a variety of products available to meet our needs. Whatever works for you, roll with it, but if it's ease of use...dependability with no complicated setup issues your after, then Sonos is your solution.

Regardless of the means you use to transport/stream a digital file, one constant remains.....you need a good dac....somewhere in the chain. Getting a digital file from point A to point B isn't the hardest thing in the world. The dac and software used should draw more attention.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shadowlight
    Options
    It will run just fine on Celeron, just make sure that you download the correct version of Daphile. I believe the new Celeron support x64. I plan to run it on old Pentium Core2 system that is collecting dust and stick it in my secondary system. There are bunch of dacs out there that are USB - Schitt Modi, ODAC, Audioquest Dragonfly etc. They all run around 100 to 150 bucks. If you have USB sound card you can initially use that to get an idea on how Daphile works.
  • French_guy
    Options
    I was actually looking at the Schiit Modi 2. How does it compare with the Audioquest DragonFly?
    They are at the same price, but the Dragonfly seems to be much smaller.....
    No surround...yet
  • shadowlight
    Options
    Sorry, have not heard either of them. Dragonfly is based around Sabre chip (I believe it is 9023) while Modi2 is based around AKM4396. Just a quick glance at the Modi 2 Uber and it has options for toslink and coaxial input so you can hook up a cd player to it also if needed.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I believe some around here tried the Modi and weren't too pleased with it's sound. The Dragonfly is about as good as it gets for the type of product it is.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's