Network player for music only

Options
13»

Comments

• French_guy
    Options
    Is there a big difference between the V1.0 and the V1.2 (other than the $50 more for the V1.2)?
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    Options
    If using it purely for the line out, dont think so. For headphones I believe there were some changes to its power output but again those dont affect the line-out portion.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Chicago's craigslist has a Dacmagic for 250.....go grab it.

Also an Emo dac for half that....135.00
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Chicago's craigslist has a Dacmagic for 250.....go grab it.

Also an Emo dac for half that.... But it only plays sad depressing music

Fixed it for at Tony :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • MillerLiteScott
    Options
    My 2 Cents.

I have Sonos Connect, Squeezebox Touch and the latest version Airport Express. All stock versions. My experience, both on their own and through an external DAC, is that the Touch is the best sounding, the Sonos is the easiest to use and sounds pretty good and the Airport Express is ok for casual listening. I have had excellent connectivity with both the Sonos and Touch but have experienced drop outs with the Airport Express, all in the same locations.

I currently use the Touch for my main rig and the Sonos for my whole house system. The Airport Express rarely gets used but is there if I want to use it for a temporary satellite system.

I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,491
    edited December 2014
    Options
    another interesting article on the transport using Raspberry Pi - for those perhaps more interested in building/tinkering as opposed to the absolute best sq? can't say, but seems to me were this the best quality route, everyone would be doing it? might be fun all the same, though.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-29-squeezebox-replacement-raspberry-pi-picoreplayer-squeezelite.364422/

think this bit cost about $100. apparently, according to this article, you can get a Wolfson audio add-on card for this? anyone know whether Wolfson offers good conversion? I've been seeing the name the past couple of days in my DAC research.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,491
    Options
    My experience, both on their own and through an external DAC, is that the Touch is the best sounding
    interesting. what did you think with the SBT through an external DAC?
    which one did you use it with?

I disabled signatures.
  • shadowlight
    Options
    Wolfson is one of the major DAC chipset provider. I believe majority of the Cambridge Audio CD players and DAC use those chipset and if I remember correctly the original ipod included one of the earlier Wolfson dac chip.