Replace LSIM 703s with LSIM 705s as fronts?

Options
sahmen
sahmen Posts: 39
edited May 2014 in Speakers
My current set up :

Fronts: Lsim 703s
Center: Lsim 704c
Surrounds LSim 702 f/x

These are all driven by an Emotiva XPA 5 and with an Onkyo 818 doing HT pre-amp duties, and an Emotiva DC-1 and a
Sherbourn Pre-1 thrown in for two channel listening. I am using a PSW 505 as a sub, but it will soon be replaced by an SVS,
although the system already sounds fantastic as is. People tell me the sub is the only real weak link in the chain.

My question is whether I can squeeze even more 2-channel joy out of the rig if were to replace the 703s with 705s. Will the 705s, also paired with the sub, make a significant audible difference to warrant the cost? I sort of doubt that, but I thought I should
ask the experts on these boards since I have never really heard the 705s myself, and do not know of any place nearby where I
can audition them. Were the 705s to be introduced into the mix, I might just move the 703s into a "wides" or "heights" position...

Again, the current rig is easily the best sounding I've ever had, and I shouldn't be asking for anything more if it were possible for someone like me to be completely satisfied with what I'm hearing. However, if the 705 upgrades will produce a significant boost in SQ, I wouldn't be averse to trying them out.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance
Post edited by sahmen on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Why did you post the same question 7 hours and 15 minutes after the first one?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ALSATIAN in USA
    ALSATIAN in USA Posts: 127
    edited May 2014
    Options
    SAHMEN, I don't have I very high I.Q. but if I understand, you run your FRONT-L-R speakers "large" and wired your sub in line AMP-sub, sub-speakers?... My political opinion is for movie, plug your sub via RCA "SUB OUT" and FRONT speakers to "small". like that, your EMOTIVA don't use power for low frequency!
  • ALSATIAN in USA
    ALSATIAN in USA Posts: 127
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Also, LSIM 707better!..bigger, better!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited May 2014
    Options

Also SDA-SRS 1.2TL... bigger, better , BEST!:lol:

I would go with the 705's over the 707's, with the 703's as sides and the 702's for the rear.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Wait until you get the SVS in the mix to make changes. After that, I would suggest electronics be upgraded over speakers first.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pyrocyborg
    pyrocyborg Posts: 524
    edited May 2014
    Options

As much as I love the LSiM, I wasn't impressed by the LSiM707. Everyone's taste is different, but I think that you may need a very large room to benefit from the LSiM707 over what the 705 can offer. Also, I do think they had too much bass.

As for the LSiM703, I tried them in store and was pleased by their punch and impact (something the LSiM705 doesn't seem to have... at least, not as much). However, using the same amp, the LSiM705 were more musical to my ears. Also, if you're mostly into HT, I don't think it would make such a difference to get the LSiM705, but I may be wrong. I mean, for HT, you want the speakers to be as detailed as you can, and to have great great focus. A bookshelf can do that and as you most probably set your front speakers as SMALL, you probably won't gain much with a pair of LSiM705. If you listen to a lot of music, in my opinion, the LSiM705 are better than the 707 and a tad more than the 703, except in a small room where the 705 could be overpowering.

But I'll ask you a question: do you really need another pair of speaker to get a 7.1 system? I tell you that because you already have a lot of great speakers, and while 7.1 is great, it's not as important as the "jump" from stereo to 5.1, IMO. It would be a waste of such great bookshelf speakers as the LSiM703, but here again, it's only my opinion and a lot of people won't agree with me.

You could try to get a better sub with that money, if you think it's lacking somehow. Or better, two great subwoofers. I would start with a subwoofer...
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 705, LSiM 703, LSiM 704c
    Receiver: Denon X3500H
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Also SDA-SRS 1.2TL... bigger, better , BEST!
    Thread over, problem solved.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Lan077
    Lan077 Posts: 31
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I wouldn't do it.
  • sahmen
    Options
    Update: Well, I have ended up replacing the 703s with the 705s, and the 704c with the 706c... ( I got a killer deal on the 705s, and picked up the 706c during the recent friends and family sale, so the upgrades have been relatively inexpensive) The 703s and the 704c are now serving LCR duties in my bedroom HT/2 channel rig so all is well. And yes, the 705s are better for music than the 703s, but the audible differences are rather subtle. The short of it is that, all is well, and I am looking forward to a nice Christmas vacation with two killer rigs.
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    Options
    Its always a good thing when you are able to satisfy your own curiosity.

705s and 706c in the family room and 703s and 704 in the bedroom.
    You sure dont mess around :smile:

Have you upgraded the sub yet or is that still in the works?
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    Options
    sahmen wrote: »
    Update: Well, I have ended up replacing the 703s with the 705s, and the 704c with the 706c... ( I got a killer deal on the 705s, and picked up the 706c during the recent friends and family sale, so the upgrades have been relatively inexpensive) The 703s and the 704c are now serving LCR duties in my bedroom HT/2 channel rig so all is well. And yes, the 705s are better for music than the 703s, but the audible differences are rather subtle. The short of it is that, all is well, and I am looking forward to a nice Christmas vacation with two killer rigs.

Did you notice a big difference going from the 704 to the 706?
  • sahmen
    Options
    adabro wrote: »
    sahmen wrote: »

Did you notice a big difference going from the 704 to the 706?

The 704c was generally impressive and adequate, and, on its own, it never left me feeling that something was missing... The 706c however discharges its duties with a sense of authority and majesty that the 704c does not have, and the difference is clearly audible in all dimensions, depth, and richness of the soundstage. I do not see that as a knock against the 704c, which now sounds appropriately like a scaled down version of the 706c. I would rate the 704c as very good, and the 706c as "great" and "excellent," and for a price that was less than that of the MSRP of the 704c, I would call it a magnificent steal.
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    Options
    Thanks for the info sahmen