RTI Line - 8vs10

Hi guys,
Thanks for the recent help on my amplifier's power question.

I'm looking to upgrade my Monitor 50 (FL FR) and CS1 for something a step up.

I've been reading up on the RTI8 and RTI10. The RTI12s are a bit out of my range.

For $400/pair the RTI8s seem like a good buy. This upgrade will be used for movies and TV. Probably 80% movies/tv and 20% music/gaming.

I will most likely purchase an SVS PB1000 (the 2000 is too big in the room).

Room size is 19x10x9. I sit about 8' from the towers/center.

Any advise or personal experience would help. Which is the better option for movies/tv?

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    First no such thing as "too big for the room". If it was me the SVS 2000 would be what I get. You can always turn down the gain on the sub if its too much.

And TBH without knowing what your running reciever wise, the BEST bet for me would b the RTi8's like you said. They will be MORE than capable of handling the frequencies you need them to (down to ~80hz) where your sub can take over.

The 10's are nice, but for mostly HT the 8's do exactly what you need and save you some dough (so you can get the SVS 2000).

Make sure to go with the CSi5 center as well. You want the BIGGEST BADDEST center in the line so thats the CSi5.

For surrounds at a later time I'd move to the FXi surrounds as they will be good, but matching surrounds (while important) isnt nearly as big a deal as making sure your front 3 speakers are all from the same line.

Happy hunting

PS check the Polk eBay site, they tend to have those pop up quite often and they are cheaper (since they are refurbs) BUT still have a one year warranty (v 3 years new).

Plus I "think" if your a Club Polk member you might get a discount but I dont know that as gospel, but it would be something to ask about.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Hi thanks.

Sorry I forgot to add:
    Receiver - Pioneer SC-1523-K

When I said too big, I mean physically too big. I'll double-check the dimensions though.

I plan on the CSi5 too.

Will the 8s have better clarity than my Monitor 50 towers?

• Also the price difference between the 8s and 10s are only $100 for the pair.

Currently on Polk's eBay store:
    RTI8 = $399/pair
    RTI10 = $499/pair

I've read that the mids on the 8s are better than the 10s... Which is important for movies.

But if I'm going to set a crossover of 80hz... does it make a difference?

I'd prefer to have the SVS take over.
  • EndersShadow
    edited December 2014
    When I said too big, I mean physically too big. I'll double-check the dimensions though.

Gotcha.... you can put the sub in just about any corner, your not really locked into one location.... and if thats a problem look at their cylinder subs (PC-2000 link here). Take up less width and depth just a LOT taller... Their are some older models out there too you could likely find as well if the PC-2000 isnt your cup of tea
    Will the 8s have better clarity than my Monitor 50 towers?

Yes
    Also the price difference between the 8s and 10s are only $100 for the pair.

Currently on Polk's eBay store:
    RTI8 = $399/pair
    RTI10 = $499/pair

I've read that the mids on the 8s are better than the 10s... Which is important for movies.

But if I'm going to set a crossover of 80hz... does it make a difference?

I'd prefer to have the SVS take over.

Honestly if the price diff is 100 bucks it wouldn't hurt to go with the 10's, but honestly I'd save the money and go with the 8's. The 8's are going to be easily powered by your AVR, the 10's start to get into the you may want to buy a 2 channel dedicated amp territory.

When you set your crossover at 80hz what that means is that at that frequency your AVR starts dropping the power of the signal by 12db (dont quote me on that figure) at that point, your speakers will still play sounds below 80hz, just less and less the farther down you go.

I think the 8's will save you a bit of cash which is never a bad thing, but if you are going to wonder "what if" later on, the 10's should be able to get quite loud on your reciever as well.

Neither is a bad choice its more of preference. I would prefer to go with the 8's and spend any extra on making sure I got a big bad sub, and maybe looking at replacing your surrounds at the same time if your 5.1, or adding another set to go 7.1, etc...

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Yeah that's the thing I'm confused about.

I don't want to just get the 8s and then wonder if I should have gotten the 10s... however then I read that for movies/tv the 8s are better in the mids.

Hard to say, since I can't audition them.

All my wiring is in wall... so I'm somewhat limited to placement for the sub.

Before wiring the sub cable in wall I did a placement test and determined it to be the best place.
  • MADGSF
    MADGSF Posts: 603
    I would go with the 8's and a good sub. For what you are doing in that size room they will work great.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K
  • EndersShadow
    edited December 2014
    All my wiring is in wall... so I'm somewhat limited to placement for the sub.

Before wiring the sub cable in wall I did a placement test and determined it to be the best place.

Gotcha. Look and see if the cylinder subs from SVS might work better. They are around 16" in diameter

I'd agree the 8's are likely the better bet for your room size. But again for 100 bucks you make that call, either will be VERY good.

If you can do it, I'd go with the biggest baddest sub you can. If you can do the PC-2000 awesome, and if you can do the PC 12 Plus I'd do that too (but its quite a bit more).

The PC-2000 is a good fit for your room if you have the height to get away with it.
  • Most of the Rti's on Polks eBay store are new not refurbished and they have the full warranty.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Yes I noticed they are new.

I think the 8s are the way to go. Can anyone confirm if the 8's mids are better than the 10s?

Since the 10s have more low end, this won't really be an issue since the sub will take over.
  • Also, FYI- Club Polk is for parts only. I just received an email with the info.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2014
    If you can't swing the 12's than I would get the 8's. The crossover point on the 10's for the two 7" woofers is 125hz leaving the single 6.5 to handle every thing from there clear to 2700hz. In addition the 8's, like the 12's and csi5, uses the "cascade tapered array" crossovers that improves the mid range response. If you are patient I have seen the 12's go on sale on the ebay store for $599 a pair, but no knowing when that will happen again.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Great info. I'm just trying to confirm that the 8s will be better for my usage... Movies/TV...

With the RTI8s is there a recommended cross over? I would play around with it a bit, but obviously don't have them yet.

The SVS PB1000 is what SVS support recommended for me.
  • EndersShadow
    The recommended crossover for most movies/tv shows/gaming is going to be 80hz. You can go lower but with the SVS sub no point in doing so.
  • French_guy
    French_guy Posts: 338
    edited December 2014
    Great info. I'm just trying to confirm that the 8s will be better for my usage... Movies/TV...

With the RTI8s is there a recommended cross over? I would play around with it a bit, but obviously don't have them yet.

The SVS PB1000 is what SVS support recommended for me.
    You can't have 100% certitude anyway.....since you can't audition them and do a side by side, you have to go for 1 model and call it a day
    Some will tell you they like their 10s, some will tell you the 8s are the best, and others will tell you it's better to get the 12s. And they will all be right, since it's their speakers and more importantly, their ears
    The thing I've learned reading that forum though is that the 8s (or A5) are easy to drive, and a decent AVR will suffice. The 10(A7) or 12 (A9) are more power hungry
    I was in the same boat 2 weeks ago, and i finally ordered the RTi A5 to replace my TSi300, without being able to audition them......(after asking a lot of questions :D )

RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • How do you like the A5s?
  • Did not test them yet......They are stored in the basement, need to wait Christmas!!!!
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • Haha something to look forward to! Nice.
  • Én az RTI 10 tudom ajánlani!
    Házimozi:
    Erősítő: Pioneer VSX-AX3 , Táp.káb:Furutech Fp 314 Ag
    Hangfalak: PolkAudio rti 10, PolkAudio csi a6, JBL lx-22 H.kábel: Eichmann Express 2
    Sub: JBL ES250 pw, Magnat Quantum 530a
    Blu-Ray: Pioneer BDP-430 3D , Van Den Hul Optocoupler MKII. HDMI:Kácsa 1.4
    DVD: Pioneer DV-868AV-i-S
    TV: LG 42LA690S 3D Led.
    Elosztó: Hivox Alces3 táp:Furutech Fp-314Ag
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Do you have a Fry's close by? They carry the older RTi line in some stores.

A few weeks ago I had a long lunch and we went to the San Marcos store and kicked back and did a full review of the RTi8, 10's and 12, hooked to the same AVR and the sales guy who was having fun with us tossed in the TSX550t. On just AVR power and no sub all of us agreed that the 12's are best followed by the TSX550t. The TSX550t actually had a nice warmer sound than any of the RTi hooked into the Yamaha AVR. The 10's and 12's need more power.

Me, I like my RTi8's sweet spot for my crossover is 60hz with my HSU VTF2. Movies are great and music is awesome. Crossover setting depends a lot on room size and placement of the sub.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • A házimozi rendszerem, nekem nagyon jók a Polk.
    Házimozi:
    Erősítő: Pioneer VSX-AX3 , Táp.káb:Furutech Fp 314 Ag
    Hangfalak: PolkAudio rti 10, PolkAudio csi a6, JBL lx-22 H.kábel: Eichmann Express 2
    Sub: JBL ES250 pw, Magnat Quantum 530a
    Blu-Ray: Pioneer BDP-430 3D , Van Den Hul Optocoupler MKII. HDMI:Kácsa 1.4
    DVD: Pioneer DV-868AV-i-S
    TV: LG 42LA690S 3D Led.
    Elosztó: Hivox Alces3 táp:Furutech Fp-314Ag
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited January 2015
    mrloren wrote: »
    The TSX550t actually had a nice warmer sound than any of the RTi hooked into the Yamaha AVR. The 10's and 12's need more power..
    Side note - nice. I always wondered what the TSX550's sounded like compared to the RTi10's and RTi12's.

I had a hard time driving my RTi10's to my satisfaction with testing with a few different current (as of last winter) higher power AVR's, but it was the music quality that was killing it for me. For tv/theater, I thought they did pretty well.

That said, if you haven't already made your purchase, I would agree with what Enders said and go with the RTi8's, the CSi5 (I had this with my 10's; it was great) and the best sub you can afford. the RTi10's can crank, but you'll need a lot of power to drive them properly and even that nice Pioneer AVR you have won't really run them to the level they're capable.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    Get the 8s, and down the road move up to the 12s and 8s to surrounds
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • mr2686
    mr2686 Posts: 52
    I'll throw in on this one. I have the RTI8's and the CSI5 and did extensive listening tests at the local Fry's between them and the 550T and the RTI4 and RTI6. The 550's were definitely warmer, and initially very impressive, but after listening to multiple selections, they sounded more colored and showed some weaknesses that I didn't like (also I didn't feel they were worth the asking price, which was a lot more than the 8's). The 8's, to me, sound much more like a live performance every time I listen to them, which I really love. By the way, I really liked the RTI4 and 6 also, and decided to go with the 4's for my surrounds since they have a similar sound as the 8's, but just a little less detailed.
  • Thanks for all the feedback.

I ended up getting the RTi8s and CSi5.

I'll be looking to upgrade my Monitor30 rear/sides for RTi6s later on, after I upgrade the sub. SVS-PB2000 or Rythmik LV12R.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I ended up getting the RTi8s and CSi5..

Good speakers, I wish I did not have to sell my CSi5 but it wont fit in my TV stand. that is one big center speaker. They sound so sweet with a good sub.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I know how you feel there mrLoren, I had to get the CsiA4 center over the 6 as it would have never fit into my system until I mount my TV on the Wall then I could put one on top of my stand.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD