Replacing Mid Range Driver on LSIM705

Options
plainoledave
plainoledave Posts: 408
edited December 2014 in Speakers
Well, one of my kids decided to push the mid range driver in on my 705's recently so... how hard is it to get these things apart? Looks like i'm out $70 for the part. I don't see how these come apart.

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Ouch. I have no help for you, just ouch.
  • plainoledave
    Options
    I'm waiting for someone to blame me for this. The youngest one is almost 10, so i thought he'd know better. The driver still works. Just wait until they get off the bus in five minutes.
  • plainoledave
    Options
    I see there is a trim ring around it, so this should be easy. I was still in the "mad as hell" mode when i posted this. lol.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Count to 10 dude......slowly.....
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    Options
    It shouldn't be too bad, gently peel off the rubber cover surrounding the tweeter/mid-range driver, a plastic spoon may help get it started. Then you should see four screws holding in the MR driver. Remove the screws and unfasten the fastons/quick disconnects. There is adhesive backing on the rubber cover, so you may want to try to keep it off of the carpet unless you want pick out pieces of hair and lint.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Who leaves their grills off with kids around! :p
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    I'm waiting for someone to blame me for this. The youngest one is almost 10, so i thought he'd know better. The driver still works. Just wait until they get off the bus in five minutes.

Is it just the dust cap that's pushed in?

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Yeah, how bad was the damage?
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Inspector 24
    Options
    Wow, only $70 for the driver? Is that Polk's standard price for every driver? I swear the last RTixx, RTxxxi and LSixx Tweets were all very close to that price...I would have figured being new and special the LSiM's would cost more...

Oh and subscribed for the stories of child beating...or you know serious tongue lashing...
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• plainoledave
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! It was just the dust cap pushed in. I was able to "finesse" it out. I was a bit overwhelmed with other things at the time and this was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Sorry for venting.

There was no "child beating". I questioned both of them and they both swore up and down that they saw the other one do the bad deed.