poor custimer service

I have a subwoofer PSW10 that needs repair. Asking Polk Audio, for the part (capicitor C24), i am informed that they cannot give me any info in the part needed. The responce was as follows:

The information you want, we would not release, since it is intellectual property.  The amp will need to go to our service center for repair.

I am told that the cost for repair will be aproximently $100.00 plus shipping. The unit is not worth the investment. It is worth the 49 cent investment for the capicator.

I will never recomend Polk Audio to anyone.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited December 2014
    well since you asked are you doing the work? How hard is it to read the value and replace? pretty easy to do that and order a new same value cap and replace,as long as all the sizes match up closely.
    Polk has GREAT customer service point me in the direction of another company that still has parts for a 30 yr speaker? Bet you can't name more than one!!

Polk would also replace more than that cap(if needed) and then test all parameters before sending back to you. Its just the way they roll.
  • Yes they will repair the sub. The best estiment is $100.00. The sub new is $99.00. Plus shipping. I cannot read the value of the capicitor (c24). Replacement will be silple.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    How do you know nothing else is blown on the circuit board ? I can see why Polk would not hand out proprietary info but for 100 bucks....I'd say it's worth it to just go buy another one if you still enjoy that sub anyway.

BTW...nobody hands out proprietary info on their products, that would erase the whole point of "proprietary" now wouldn't it ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Not sure about the custimer service part, but I do know Polk has unbelievable Customer service! Take a couple of Bayer aspirins and try again in the morning.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    silple

Huh?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    poor custimer service is a reel bich.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I couldn't imagine better customer service every time I have dealt with them, including just last week when they dealt with an issue in a timely and totally professional manner.
  • TurboGTU
    TurboGTU Posts: 187
    I remember raving about how great Polk CS was in my go around when I first came here, but more recently has been mostly miss. After a couple emails they finally emailed back and said they didn't have the speaker I needed in stock. I replied asking for specs on the speaker so I could find a close replacement and never got another word back and gave up. Just wasn't worth the hassle right now.

Would have been nice to at least get an email back saying they didn't have the information or something. I got tired of feeling blown off. Take it as you will.

I can see maybe in the OPs case if it's still something they actively sell, but in my case it's a speaker they apparently don't even have a newer replacement for.

In my case it's an MW4802 for a CS150.
  • tonyb
    TurboGTU wrote: »
    I remember raving about how great Polk CS was in my go around when I first came here, but more recently has been mostly miss. After a couple emails they finally emailed back and said they didn't have the speaker I needed in stock. I replied asking for specs on the speaker so I could find a close replacement and never got another word back and gave up. Just wasn't worth the hassle right now.

Would have been nice to at least get an email back saying they didn't have the information or something. I got tired of feeling blown off. Take it as you will.

I can see maybe in the OPs case if it's still something they actively sell, but in my case it's a speaker they apparently don't even have a newer replacement for.

In my case it's an MW4802 for a CS150.

Once again, your asking for proprietary info, regardless if it's old and not stocked anymore, they won't be quick to release that info. As stated, phone calls are the first choice of communication and get the fastest responses.

Look for an old cs150 on craigslist or Ebay, you can then use it as parts even if it's non working. Personally though, not worth it in my book. I've seen Polk 400 centers going for 100 bucks. Maybe time to upgrade that center anyway.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    ^Excellent advice, all of it.^

Amazes me how people these days forget how to make a phone call.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Eye hear bi nam in ate dis tread for da wurst speld tread ever.

ken n e 1 secund?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638

ken n e 1 secund?

Are you trying to sell a new speaker design to Polk too?

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127

ken n e 1 secund?

Are you trying to sell a new speaker design to Polk too?

Yes I have developed a a mid driver out of old nine lives cat food cans that I call a meower. Can't wait to send a prototype to the engineers at Polk but I have to wait till the mackerel smell wears off...they are prone to buzzing excessively due to the fact that they are swarmed by flies...

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • TurboGTU
    TurboGTU Posts: 187
    tonyb wrote: »
    Once again, your asking for proprietary info, regardless if it's old and not stocked anymore, they won't be quick to release that info. As stated, phone calls are the first choice of communication and get the fastest responses.

1. Then tell me that they can give it out, instead of simply not replying. Inform the customer, don't just ignore them.
    2. Then don't have email support. If you cannot provide more than half a$$ support via email, don't offer it. I tried calling before the email and got stuck on hold for 15 minutes and wasted my hold break, had to hang up.

Sorry for disagreeing with everyone saying how wonderful their customer support is. Like I said, I've had a great experience with them in the past and was hoping the another, but was let down. Maybe some people just drink a bit to much kool-aid. Polk is a company that wants to make money, to do that they need satisfied customers. The whole bit with the 4 shots kind of comes to mind as well, glad I didn't preorder and purchased a different brand later.

To sum up for all the nut swingers, sorry I had a poor experience and shared it.
  • tonyb
    Everyone has email support, and I'd challenge you to get a fast response from any audio company by email. Call them, I know that's a strange thing to this generation, to actually talk to people, but it is still the fastest....even if you have to wait on hold for 15 minutes or longer.

Could they do better on the wait times ? Sure....but that all depends on the amount of calls in a given period of time. Lunch break....geez, how many others have the same idea ?

I'll grant you the 4-shot fiasco, nobody has been more critical of Polk than me over that....and a few other things too, but that's not customer service. That's other boneheads within the company making poor decisions. Polk isn't the only audio company to churn out a turkey every now and then....and some are way more highly regarded too.

So your panties are in a twist over Polk not giving you proprietary info, which you should know better. Your all twisted because you had to wait on hold....during one of the most busiest times of the day...lunch break, which again, you should know better. Your twisted over the 4-shot......one for 3 in my book.

Btw....I'm certainly not a kool-aid drinker. I give Polk a kick in the arse when they deserve it, and a slap on the back also when it's deserved. I still stand behind their CS department because I know how challenging it is for them to do their job when poor decisions are made higher up the chain.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Everyone has email support, and I'd challenge you to get a fast response from any audio company by email. Call them, I know that's a strange thing to this generation, to actually talk to people, but it is still the fastest....even if you have to wait on hold for 15 minutes or longer.

Could they do better on the wait times ? Sure....but that all depends on the amount of calls in a given period of time. Lunch break....geez, how many others have the same idea ?

I'll grant you the 4-shot fiasco, nobody has been more critical of Polk than me over that....and a few other things too, but that's not customer service. That's other boneheads within the company making poor decisions. Polk isn't the only audio company to churn out a turkey every now and then....and some are way more highly regarded too.

So your panties are in a twist over Polk not giving you proprietary info, which you should know better. Your all twisted because you had to wait on hold....during one of the most busiest times of the day...lunch break, which again, you should know better. Your twisted over the 4-shot......one for 3 in my book.

Btw....I'm certainly not a kool-aid drinker. I give Polk a kick in the arse when they deserve it, and a slap on the back also when it's deserved. I still stand behind their CS department because I know how challenging it is for them to do their job when poor decisions are made higher up the chain.

Game , Set , Match.

You keep posting logical stuff like this and they're gonna take away your Incoherent
    Badge. :wink:

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • tonyb
    polrbehr wrote: »

Game , Set , Match.

You keep posting logical stuff like this and they're gonna take away your Incoherent
    Badge. :wink:

That's ok if they do....I have a few stashed behind the commode....where they rightfully belong anyway.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's