Moved from RTi A9’s and A6 to LSiM 703’s and 704

adabro
adabro Posts: 212
I’ve had my A9’s for a few years now and quite enjoyed them, but when Future Shop started dropping the prices on Polks LSiM line I decided to try them out for two reasons:

• Music – I like the A9’s for HT, but was interested in the LSiM line based on reading that they were less bright or fatiguing.

• The A9 are huge – I knew that when I bought them, but my HT room is getting crowded and their size is an issue.

I picked up the 703’s for $399 and the idea was to test them out for awhile (30 day return policy if I decided I’d made a mistake) and sell the A9’s if I was happy. I figured the 703’s would trump the A9’s for music, but wanted to make sure I didn’t lose anything by going from a floor stander to a bookshelf. I have a decent sub (SVS PB10-NSD) so I hoped that would compensate for the loss of the 3 woofers.

First thing I noticed on unpacking the 703’s is that they were sexy – quite nice looking speakers compared to my Monitor or RTi’s. I bought the midnight mahogany as it matches the rest of my equipment.

So how did they sound? Pretty darn good – took me about a minute to decide I was keeping them. I tested them out with all my favorite songs and was very pleased with the sound. I threw in a couple of movies to see I was missing anything on the HT side and I don’t think so – lots of nice bass rumblings and assorted movie sound effects.

After deciding to keep the 703’s it made sense to move the A6 out and buy a matching center. I was going to get the LSiM 706, but FS was out of stock so I grabbed the 704 instead – pretty sure I bought the last one they had anywhere. Cost me $499 so not as good a deal as the 703’s, but not bad. I wanted the 706 to future proof myself in case I ever pick up the 705’s but oh well.

So all in all I’m quite pleased, the 703’s give me a lot more room, very nice sound and once my old speakers are sold it will be a pretty inexpensive upgrade. I’ll need some stands for the 703’s (I have them sitting on the carpet for now), but I’ll look for used to keep my costs down.

Comments

• adabro
    edited December 2014
    ct104rkh7zcx.jpg

Old and new side by side
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    How did you test them if you don't have stands?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    adabro wrote: »
    I’ve had my A9’s for a few years now and quite enjoyed them, but when Future Shop started dropping the prices on Polks LSiM line I decided to try them out for two reasons:

Music – I like the A9’s for HT, but was interested in the LSiM line based on reading that they were less bright or fatiguing.

• The A9 are huge – I knew that when I bought them, but my HT room is getting crowded and their size is an issue.

I picked up the 703’s for $399 and the idea was to test them out for awhile (30 day return policy if I decided I’d made a mistake) and sell the A9’s if I was happy. I figured the 703’s would trump the A9’s for music, but wanted to make sure I didn’t lose anything by going from a floor stander to a bookshelf. I have a decent sub (SVS PB10-NSD) so I hoped that would compensate for the loss of the 3 woofers.

First thing I noticed on unpacking the 703’s is that they were sexy – quite nice looking speakers compared to my Monitor or RTi’s. I bought the midnight mahogany as it matches the rest of my equipment.

So how did they sound? Pretty darn good – took me about a minute to decide I was keeping them. I tested them out with all my favorite songs and was very pleased with the sound. I threw in a couple of movies to see I was missing anything on the HT side and I don’t think so – lots of nice bass rumblings and assorted movie sound effects.

After deciding to keep the 703’s it made sense to move the A6 out and buy a matching center. I was going to get the LSiM 706, but FS was out of stock so I grabbed the 704 instead – pretty sure I bought the last one they had anywhere. Cost me $499 so not as good a deal as the 703’s, but not bad. I wanted the 706 to future proof myself in case I ever pick up the 705’s but oh well.

So all in all I’m quite pleased, the 703’s give me a lot more room, very nice sound and once my old speakers are sold it will be a pretty inexpensive upgrade. I’ll need some stands for the 703’s (I have them sitting on the carpet for now), but I’ll look for used to keep my costs down.

Very nice transition there and thanks for sharing.
    I could very well have expressed the same sentiments!

My A7s have done a good job with music and HT, but for someone who listens to a LOT of music, I was looking for a speaker that can wow me and by all indications the 703s are that speaker.

They are also good value for good measure especially at 50% off!

The center channel will have to wait until after the holidays as the 703s were never even in the budget until the 50% off forced my hand.

I still have to get a decent pair of speaker stands. Until then i will be improvising.

That is what i love about this hobby , make that journey.

AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • adabro
    F1nut wrote: »
    How did you test them if you don't have stands?

Right on the floor - I'm thinking if I like them in less than optimal setup they should be even better when properly placed.

I have to say that after researching stands I'm a little confused - they all look like they'll fall over or the speaker would fall right off.

• gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • adabro
    Thanks gumbay13 - they look a little more stable than the ones I was looking at....
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Thanks gumbay13 - they look a little more stable than the ones I was looking at....

Skyland stands will also custom make the top plate to match the spec's of the 703. So if you go that route, thats what I'd do.

Then load them with lead shot or sand to make em heavier and harder to tip.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    adbro.....I used
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS300

these stands with very good results....speakers looked kinda sexy on those stands too

Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• adabro
    Thanks for the tips guys - I'll take a look
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    adabro...How would you rate your new LSiM704c to your CSiA6 as a center?
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    nice.

I went a similar route earlier this year moving from some RTi10's to the 703's. I could never really get used to the RTi10's, even after throwing power at them along with various receivers and sources. I liked the 703's better pretty much immediately as well. I'm sure the RTi10's can work pretty well in some spaces and systems, but I just couldn't get them working right. they were so awful with my room/gear/setup. even though the 703's were better, it wasn't until I moved them into a smaller room that they really impressed me. I still can't get over how good they sound now. could also have been some break-in as well, I suppose.

anyway, in a smaller space and well positioned, I experienced them as others have mentioned - they work so well that I haven't even needed a sub, at least, not for music. I absolutely love 'em. even stock, I find them so much more comfortable than the RTi10's in that I'm able to listen for long periods in relaxation. I run them straight off an older B&K AVR 507 S2, no tricks.

those are some amazing prices btw - that's an absolute no brainer to get into the LSiM line, surpassed only by FREE.
    I disabled signatures.
  • adabro
    gce wrote: »

I'm sorry gce - I'm terrible with describing audio or picking out differences. I've had it for a few days, tested it with movies and music. I was a little concerned that voices were a little quieter in movies (quiet voices, blaring sound effects), but I think that was the just the movies I tested with.

I'll see if I can swap them back and forth tonight....

• adabro
    msg wrote: »
    nice.

those are some amazing prices btw - that's an absolute no brainer to get into the LSiM line, surpassed only by FREE.

I'm glad I jumped when I did - they seem to be out of stock now, seems like they're not selling them anymore.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    gce wrote: »

I'm sorry gce - I'm terrible with describing audio or picking out differences. I've had it for a few days, tested it with movies and music. I was a little concerned that voices were a little quieter in movies (quiet voices, blaring sound effects), but I think that was the just the movies I tested with.

I'll see if I can swap them back and forth tonight....

You don't have to go out of your way. It looks like you've decided to go with the LSiM's but it also sounds like you like the A6 better as the center.

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • adabro
    I'm still testing, but like I said I tend to miss the subtleties - when I replaced my CS2 with the A6 I also struggled to hear a difference.
  • adabro
    la2vegas wrote: »
    What are you using for wiring?

Nothing fancy - speaker wire I bought from Visions when I bought my first set of Polks - I did re-cut the ends last night.

I did some more testing, switching out the A6 and the 704 - I was wrong, there was no level problem with the 704. I think I'm still bitter as I thought I had the 706 on order twice so maybe I'm taking it out on the 704....
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'm still testing, but like I said I tend to miss the subtleties - when I replaced my CS2 with the A6 I also struggled to hear a difference.

If that's the case something else is amiss. Plus your speaker wire isn't doing you any favors.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • adabro
    tonyb wrote: »

If that's the case something else is amiss. Plus your speaker wire isn't doing you any favors.

I know, just trying to limit the damage to my wallet - I seem to find things everyday I'd like to upgrade.

To be honest the wife has better ears than me, she picks up differences that I can't hear.
  • adabro
    Kept watching the 705's as Future Shop cleared out their inventory and had to jump in and buy. Moved the 703's to surround duty.

aypcz8x031v1.jpg
  • adabro
    The 703's are way too high, but no choice with the room layout.

0npdeniowrxh.jpg
  • adabro
    Love the sound, I may upgrade the 704 to a 706 at some point, but I'm extremely happy (for now...)
  • adabro
    DSkip wrote: »
    Gorgeous setup man. Those 705's could use some more room to breathe, but I'm not sure how you'd accomplish it. Either way, I'm really digging the lush feel of the room.

Thanks Dskip - I wish I had an extra five feet to play with...
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Jealous...Very nice man
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    wish I would have caught that deal. Future shop was blowing out lsim 705's for 800$ a piece. I did get the 706 center for 599 though :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Absolutely beautiful, congrats and enjoy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2