CS400 test

protondo
protondo Posts: 4
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Is there an easy way to test each speaker of a CS400? I think one is not working but it is hard to tell since they are so close together.

thanks,
P.Rotondo
Post edited by protondo on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2002
    I don't know of an easy way to test them, without actually pulling them out of the cabinet. You can make the tweeter play by itself, by removing the jumpers between the sets of binding posts and connecting your wires to the upper set.

If you're concerned that one of the 6.5" drivers sounds louder than the other one, then that's normal. They're crossed over differently, so one is receiving more signal than the other one. The left-hand driver will probably sound louder.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!

Jason
  • jcaut
    edited March 2002
    I had another thought: Instead of pulling the drivers out, I bet you could pull the terminal plate with the crossover attached. From there you could probably find the wires going to each driver and test them individually.

Jason
  • protondo
    edited March 2002
    Jason,
    Thanks for the info. You are right. If any side sounds louder it is the left. Not sure on the wiring. I only have one set of cables going to the
    lower terminals. Is this correct?
  • jcaut
    edited March 2002
    Yes, that should be fine. There are flat, gold jumpers between the two sets of binding posts. They can be removed so that the speaker can be bi-amped, or bi-wired. Leaving the jumpers in place and connecting to one set of the binding posts is perfectly acceptable. Some people like to replace the jumpers with a short piece of speaker wire.

Jason
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    I have my 400i biwired and it sounds great. It seems really balanced. Like when something pans from the right channels thru the center than to the left channel, it really seems true. Good luck!:)
  • protondo
    edited March 2002
    Janson,
    Thanks again for all your help. Talk to you soon.

P.Rotondo
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2002
    The right hand driver on the CS400i handles lower midrange and bass, the left hand driver handles upper midrange and low treble. The right hand driver will normally sound more muffled because of this and it's perfectly normal.

Dr. Spec
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS