Grateful Dead's "Workingman's Dead" MFSL hybrid SACD

IMG_0924.jpg

After listening to the stellar "Child Is Father To The Man" AF hybrid SACD, I decided to spin the MFSL hybrid SACD of "The Dead's" "Workingman's Dead".

I have heard this album well over an hundred times (maybe over 200) and am very familiar with how it sounds.

I put the SACD into the player and sat down and hit play. Immediately, afetr "Uncle John's Band" started I noticed much more presence in the toneality of the instruments, higher resolution, and much wider soundstage. Garcia's vocals sound phenominal!

I continued on listening to the entire album and was impressed with the mastering of this SACD. It is not nearly as much of an improvement as the "Child Is Father To The Man" SACD by AF, but this MFSL SACD (mastered by Rob LoVerde) is very well done and definately worth the purchase.

Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Comments

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Interesting in that it's a great recording on redbook, and vinyl. It's now on my list.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Got my copies of American Beauty and Workingman's Dead today. MoFi did them justice, both are excellent.

Greg, is the back cover of WD upside down on your copy?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Yeah it is. I thought it was just mine, but yours is too? WTF? I was hoping you are someone would chime in on this. I also pre-ordered my copy just under a year ago and ended up with number 1862 for WD, and #316 for AB? Why so high for WD!? I ordered them a year ago, literally!? Ah well, at least it sounds good........
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Hmmm...someone effed up!

Unlike years ago I've found that pre-ordering does not mean you will get a low number copy. I ordered mine Sunday night, WD is 1051 and AB is 432.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Yeah, maybe they'll do a correction on the cover? Doubt it though.......

Music Direct should not advertise pre-ordering to "get the lowest numbered copy" then if they are not going to bother following through with what they claim. Ugh.......

Again, at least it sounds good.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• If I get a lower copy we can trade.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    miner pre ordered the Doors Box set & I didn't order it until it was out and I got a lower # then him, now I did buy from Acoustic sounds which is QRP who pressed the LP's, which is just down the road from me. but still seems wrong.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD