Dumping iPhone - AirPlay alternative?

ambiophonics
ambiophonics Posts: 715
edited December 2014 in Going Digital
So I'm looking at dumping my iPhone 5 and sprint and getting a new service provider and android phone. I'm tired of the iPhone's short battery life and sprint's failure to provide decent service in my area. The problem is I use AirPlay a lot. I have an Apple TV I use to stream audio to my main stereo and two airport express units in other rooms. Has anyone used any of the AirPlay apps (some involve rooting) on android and had success? It's not clear to me how easy they are to use, or if they would provide CD quality streaming (I stream with Tidal HiFi). Are there other options I should be looking at outside of the AirPlay protocol? Thanks for any advice.

2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'm no apple expert, but I don't believe you can mix and match apple devices with android.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited December 2014
    What kind of battery life are you looking for? Why not just get a current model iPhone? I have the 6 and it's never failed to make it a whole day even under heavy use, the 6 Plus is even better and can easily make it two days.

There are several alternatives to AirPlay, you've got whole systems like SONOS and then standards like Bluetooth and the new protocol from I think Dolby or DTS called PlayFi.

Tony is mostly correct about mixing Apple and Android. It can be done in some cases but honestly the most compelling reason to go Apple is because all their stuff works so well together. When you start breaking that up their products begin to lose some of their appeal. If I went the Android route I'd also likely ditch the Apple TV and go with their box.
  • I didn't realize Apple had improved the iPhone 6 battery that much, my 5 has trouble getting through a day, especially after the recent OS updates. I'll look into the 6 with Verizon. The phone that was tempting me is the Sony Experia Z3. Waterproof and a 2 day battery life.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • Get the HTC one m8. That is what I use. HTC has a feature called HTC Connect that works like airplay and works with the airplay in my Yamaha Avr. I just swipe two fingers up on my phone and the music starts playing through the stereo.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Have you ever tried the AirPlay function with something like an airport express? I wonder if it is using AirPlay to the receiver or DLNA?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    As much as I love the materials and styling of the HTC I'd suggest your do some research before getting it, as it has several drawbacks.
  • Can anyone comment on battery life on the iPhone 6 compared to the 5?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2014
    I moved from a iPhone 4 to a HTC One to a iPhone 6 plus. I am on my phone most of the day and can still get ~1.5 days a charge out of it (but if I am close to a charger why not just charge it).

I've never gotten CLOSE to running from 100% down to under 20 in a day. And lets be honest, how often do you go a full night without charging?

My wife's got the 6 and she gets at full day out of it as well and she watches netflix lots at work (yeah I know must be nice) on her phone.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I went from the 5 to the 6 plus and haven't regretted it one bit. In fact, I went all day Thanksgiving day, all day the day after and into that Saturday before needing to charge with moderate use. Surprising to say the least coming from a 5 that wouldn't make it a day with little/no use.

Like Assimilated said, stick with one or the other as things get cludgy when you mix "brands". Sure you can make them work but why deal with duct tape and bailing wire if you don't have to?
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • @ender - thanks for the feedback. With my current iphone 5 I can kill it before lunch if I'm on it a lot, the new OS really took a hit on battery life.
  • I agree if you're already deep into Apple territory, then keep going. But if you are ready to try android, the lastest HTC one m8 , will likely give you the best experience. And no I have only used the airplay on my Avr with the HTC.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I moved from a iPhone 4 to a HTC One to a iPhone 6 plus. I am on my phone most of the day and can still get ~1.5 days a charge out of it (but if I am close to a charger why not just charge it).

I've never gotten CLOSE to running from 100% down to under 20 in a day. And lets be honest, how often do you go a full night without charging?

My wife's got the 6 and she gets at full day out of it as well and she watches netflix lots at work (yeah I know must be nice) on her phone.

Not to be a fly in the ointment.....ok, guess I am....but, you do coding at work yet your on the phone most the day ? Your wife watches Netflix...at work...on her phone ?

Nah, your not addicted to that little gadget. LOL There's a time and a place to play with your toys, work isn't one of them.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    There isn't a setup as easy and clean as apple TV and airtunes. Just order a iPod touch.
    Chromecast is garbage.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I'm tired of the iPhone's short battery life and

FYI- more than likely the battery issue is due to recall and free replacement.
    Had the same issue. Got it swapped for free at Apple store and phone is golden

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Battery life on any phone is also highly dependent on your signal strength. The weaker the signal, the faster your battery will drain.

I don't know where you live, but any service carrier will not matter if you choose one with a weak signal where you are. An update on OS will not automatically make your battery better, just the reception. With stronger signal attenuation will also come with it, higher demand on power.

Anyhow. If you have and earlier version of Apple TV, jailbreak it, stuff XBMC on it, and sell it for a couple g's.

Now. How many androids do you want? Haha

Halen
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    tonyb wrote: »
    Not to be a fly in the ointment.....ok, guess I am....but, you do coding at work yet your on the phone most the day ?

Tony, my phone usage at work is running music out of my iPhone into a headphone amp while I code. I pick a genre and just let it ride for the day. Keeps me from getting distracted by my cube mates.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Your wife watches Netflix...at work...on her phone ?

She more "listens" to her TV shows with a earbud in one ear when it gets slow (customer service @ a callcenter). Dont know how often it happens she does this, but at times shes not taking calls just working paperwork and thats when she does this mostly.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited December 2014
    I chose the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.... I has great battery life in normal mode and can last a week in uber battery saving mode.... Great apps great audio great screen... Really nice device. And if I want to upgrade the battery or get a spare to swap I can and I can add all the memory I can fit. I hate that Apple won't let you change your battery or add memory. And it doesn't have bloatware.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |