Simplifying

Options
Here's my dilemma. I have two different systems (HT and 2 channel), which has been nice, but I've been thinking of combining the two. I'm thinking of an integrated to replace the HT receiver and amp/preamp and just running 2 channel for movies as well as music. I will keep a separate CDP and BDP however.

Here's the list -

B&K PT3 Series II Pre
B&K Reference 200.2 Amp
Pioneer VSX-1015TX Receiver

Speakers (in rotation but might only keep one pair of these as well)
SDA 2A
Monitor 7C
RTA 8t

The surround speakers aren't really even worth mentioning as they are nothing special but they would be gone as well.

I like the B&K sound but realize they won't be an easy act to follow. I also realize that if I keep the 2A's they'll eat up about anything integrated. Price, well, something under $3000 would be nice. New preferred as this might be my last purchase, ever. Maybe I should just save up for the Bryston B135 SST2? Funny thing when you realize you have fewer years left to live as you have lived...
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    edited November 2014
    Options
    IMHO, the SDA's are nice, but if your looking to compromise, I'd look for a integrated AND a set of RTA 11TL's. They dig deep enough you could use a sub but dont have to have it, and are not too much larger than the 8T's, and are easy enough for a good integrated to drive.

All that said your B&K gear is quite nice, so if it was me, I'd keep that and move the rest of it along. Would also save you some considerable cash as well. Also would let you run 2.1 as I think you'd still want a sub.

Heck even @steveinaz‌ has a sub in his setup lol.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,910
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Will your BDP compensate for the lost channels ? Not all will....so that info will/might be lost.

Why can't you keep the pre and receiver ? Well, maybe at least get a pre with HT pass thru. Keep the amp....dump the surrounds and move other speakers in that position. You can also just use the receiver for both, set it to do analog direct when doing 2 channel until you can find a decent pre with HT pass thru.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,463
    Options
    Well, I used to have the 11t's, years ago, nice speaker. As far as the BDP (Yamaha BD-A1010) is concerned it does have the 2 channel "down mix" if that is what you're referring to. I'm still not well versed on the whole Home Theater guru stuff. The B&K pre does have the High Pass/Full Range for the mains. High Pass if you are using a sub. It would be a pain in the arse to switch the RCA's all the time when going from 2 channel to movies though, IF I would keep a sub and the pre. The whole point is moving to smaller spaces for the equipment. Yes the amp is great but..., big.

Moving the other speakers around is no-go. I've thought about it but I would have to spend bucks to get an amp up to the task. Not to mention a huge room, which I don't have and even if I did my wife would think I was nuts, well, she already sorta thinks that. Also, I don't think the receiver would like 2 pairs of 4 ohm and one pair of 6 ohm speakers hooked up.

Music is first priority, always has been, movies a very distant second.
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,910
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ok...I was assuming you wanted to keep most of what you already have.

I think your ticket to save space will be a good integrated like a Musical Fidelity A5, sounds good and has enough balls to drive anything you throw in front of it. The pre section is a considerable step up from what your using now. They can be found used for around 1500, and that would leave you the other 1500 to play around with.

New though, your going to eat up that 3g's pretty quick....like with a newer MF M6 integrated. That I believe also has a USB input if you ever want to stream some tunes.

I'll second Skips notions, downsizing has been the most rewarding process for me too. Better gear for the music side of things....as HT can eat up a budget rather quickly. Plus the WAF is way better without 7 speakers and subs in the room.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable