Custom Speaker Stands for Monitor 10s FOUND for SALE

Options
Newbie here....

I just got a vintage setup on Craigslist that consists of a Technics SL-1700 DD TT, and Akai AA-1135 receiver/amp, and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor Series 10s (I think). All very clean and working perfect ( all for $180 at that!). Decent score?

Anyway... I've been researching the Polk speakers and found that yes, they REALLY should be on stands (esp. on my hardwood floors). So, although I am going to make a pair myself based on several past posts (though most links to past posts from TennMan, etc. are bad links for some reason), I think that I have enough info to do it still.

It seems like there are a lot of posts on this issue, and I found someone on eBay selling them for $90 a pair, shipped. I am in no way affiliated with the guy, or promoting these stands, but thought it worthy of sharing since I have seen so many posts on the issue. Just passing on the info for someone who may not want to take the time to make their own.

I may actually price out building my own vs. buying from this guy (factoring in materials AND time... time is money!)

Looks like he offers customized colors/stains, heights, and tilt angles.

ebay link (10/2014) is: ebay.com/itm/Speaker-Stands-Custom-Hand-Made-SOLID-Wood-OAK-Heavy-Duty-/221220947210?pt=US_Speaker_Mounts_Stands&hash=item3381cbc50a

Business website link is: masterswoodworking.yolasite.com/
Technics SL-1700 TT, Akai AA-1135 Receiver/Amp, Polk Monitor Series 10B (SL-2000)

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Welcome to club Polk :)

I have a pdf file for making your own monitor 10 speakers stands and the pics for doing it, now the link your talking about on EBAY is from a man name Rick Master and he has the same pdf I have as I gave it to him :) In fact I'm having him make me some already as I working 10 hrs a day 6 days a week and can find the free time to make my own. so its sort of funny you mentioned him also! as I also like helping a another person who maybe could use the work

I just had my crossovers redone and some upgrades to the cabinets inside that can make them sound alot better...if you dig deep in the Vintage speaker part of forum you will found a lot of info on fixing them up. heres the pdf if this works
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    The stands on eBay seem to be a similar design that I made a few years ago. Would you mind posting your pdf? I would like to see how similar they are.

gm88n78rv1o2.jpg

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    I have made a couple of pairs of basically the same speaker stands. Cost for materials is probably around $25 or so. I would say the labor is around 4 hours for a set. If you have the time and enjoy doing the work, do them yourself. If you are busy and don't have the time then go for them. Seems to be a fair price. Listening to my 10a's on the stands as I write this.
  • voltz
    Options
    Hey Ronnie :)

I talk to Rick only like a week ago and that when I sent him my PDF to see if he can make them for me and he said no problem and it can put the 6 degree tilt in them for me, hes is going to make the base a little smaller 12x12 with top like 12x8 with a back lip to catch the speakers.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't see much in common with the stands he is selling and the pdf you posted. I do see a lot of similarity between the stands I made and the ones he is selling. Nothing wrong with that. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :smiley:

EDIT: Not really saying he copied what I did. I don't know. Could just be a coincidence that they look like mine. Doesn't matter. He makes nice looking stands.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • voltz
    Options
    He is also making mine out of Oak with a light stain that will match my Entertainment center/stand. I'm currently using a cheapo set of stands I found that have no tilt.

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,456
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »
    The stands on eBay seem to be a similar design that I made a few years ago. Would you mind posting your pdf? I would like to see how similar they are.

gm88n78rv1o2.jpg

. Beautiful stands

Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,456
    Options
    d4dooley wrote: »
    Newbie here....

I just got a vintage setup on Craigslist that consists of a Technics SL-1700 DD TT, and Akai AA-1135 receiver/amp, and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor Series 10s (I think). All very clean and working perfect ( all for $180 at that!). Decent score?
    ]
    ... Nice set up & very nice price . Welcome to Polk

Randy/Maine
  • Rational
    Options
    Yeah. Those are really nice looking stands. Quality design, fit and finish. I was beginning to look at stands for my 10As last week too. Interesting.
    Currently refurbishing a pair of 1982 Polk 10As
    Looking to buy a set of CRSs now, yes, like this week, then a set of 7s.
    The addiction begins... :)
  • d4dooley
    Options
    Later on I found a couple other guys on eBay making some similar stands as well. They were around $65 I think with similar customization options. I'd like to try and make some out of walnut instead of oak though.

Thanks for the pdf, voltz. Can never have too much info. I'll look into some miss to the speakers one day.

Just finished cleaning around 40 LPs and had them cranked for a couple of hours. Fun stuff.
    Technics SL-1700 TT, Akai AA-1135 Receiver/Amp, Polk Monitor Series 10B (SL-2000)
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Considering the build quality, custom options for free, I'd say that's an excellent price.
    The original stands are like hens teeth, so building your own, or buying generic and making them work with vintage monitors are your only other options.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/