YES "High Vibration" hybrid SACD set.

Options
headrott
headrott Posts: 5,484
edited August 2014 in Music & Movies
I had a chance to listen to a number of tracks from several albums from this set (I did not listen to an entire album from the box)).

First, I listened to the "Tormato" disc. I listened to "On The Silent Wings Of Freedom". When the track started, I could tell there was a slight veil on the track compared to the standard Rhino CD (IMO). Not too bad of a veil, but there. The tonality was good, but not blow the CD out of the water good. I thought it bested the standard CD, but not a night and day difference. One thing I did notice is that the song sounded smooth as silk compared to the standard CD.

Next, I compared "And You And I" from the the High Vibration set to the Audio Fidelity Steve Hoffman mastered hybrid disc. I listened to the High vibration disc first, the the AF (Steve Hoffman) and the the High Vibration again. After the comparison, I will say that I do not know what others were hearing, but the AF (Steve Hoffman) mastered hybrid SACD is definately better than the High Vibration SACD. It is close, but the AF (Steve Hoffman) disc is certainly better from a tonality point-of-view. I will also say that for all other discs that have a previously mastered hybrid SACD/Gold CD this is true.

Next, I listened to Tales From Topographic Oceans and the track of "The Ancient:Giants Under The Sun". Holy ****! this sounded good! I have heard this album hundreds of times and this time the bass, high end, clarity, detail, etc., were all better than previously heard. I do not know about a "night and day difference" but certainly noticable. AF (Steve Hoffman) need to release this on a SACD and it would be "perfect".

Next, I listened to 90125 and "Owner Of A Lonely Heart", and "It Can Happen". Owner of a lonely heart sounded very good! Better than the Gold AF disc. More resolution, but possibly not as smooth as the Gold AF disc (the one exception to my rule above and below).

Next I listened to the Big Generator SACD and "Shoot High, Aim Low". Sounds good, but not terribly better than the standard CD. The SACD does show that the production of the album, specifically the drums of Alan White could be better.

I took a break after that.

I came back and the listened to The YES Album and the first 3 tracks ("Your Is No Discgrace", "Clap" and "Starship Trooper"). I was comparing this SACd to the Mobile Fidelity Gold CD. The Mobile Fidelity absolutely has better tone to it. The bass is more solid, the vocals are more clear, and the resolution is better (IMO). It was becoming more and more clear that even standard CD's sound better than SACD's when mastered better. this is good evidence of that fact.

Next, I listened to the "bonus disc" in the High Vibration set; and specifically "Dear Father". The track sounded good. I always liked the way this track sounded on normal CD. The SACD made it even better. The resolution, detail and clarity were all better than the CD, but again, not a night and day difference.

In conclusion, I hope this gives you all and idea of how this set sounds. i still recommend keeping your AF SACD's and/or Mobile Fidelity Gold CD's. This set does sound better than the Standard CD's put out for the other albums however. Tales sounds phenominal! I still need to l,isten to Relayer, Drama, GFTO, YES, Time and a word, and Fragile. Perhaps I will report back afterwards. Thanks for reading.
Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Comments

• headrott
    Options
    I forgot to state that imaging is also better (slightly) on the AF and Mobile Fidelity gold CD's. Again, not a night and day difference, but noticable. Also, the AF Gold CD of 90125 is not as good as the imaging on the the High Vibration SACD, IMO.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Thanks Greg. Guess I'll just wait for them to rerelease Tales & Yessongs. I kinda figured those mofi's were gonna be hard to top as well as Hoffmans.
  • headrott
    Options
    Somehow, I find it hard to believe that Tales will actually be done on SACD (MAYBE SHM-SACD in Japan) but I doubt AF or Mobile Fidelity will do it Charlie. I have been suprised before about things released by Mobile Fidelity (SACD of Love's Forever Changes and Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead are a couple examples). But, Tales is a whole other level of "crazyness" to decide to release it.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    I bought 90125 SACD out of the box set right before they announced they would start selling them individually oops I would of waited but SACD has always been get it while you can or else miss out or pay through the nose. Got to say love me some 90125