Poker tables?

jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
edited August 2014 in The Clubhouse
Anyone have a poker table in the basement/gaming room? I am looking to put a poker table in a spare room in my house, and turn it into a gaming room. TV, old PS3, cheap tunes, bar, dartboard, etc.

Looking at poker tables online, the variety in both options and price has me flustered. Does anyone have personal experience with a particular brand or style they'd like to share? I want something that looks at least decent, as this room connects to/is visible from my kitchen. I'm torn between a fold up oval table, and something more permanent. I could probably use either round or oval, but I suspect oval would give me a little more wiggle room. Pricing ranges from a couple hundred bucks to a couple thousand or more, but I'd like to keep it at about 1k or less (if possible.)

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
Post edited by jflail2 on

Comments

• jflail2
    edited August 2014

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2014
    I bought used from a local ad an octagon poker table. It is just the top and sits on top of a small kitchen dinette table. One side is flat and covered in vinyl, and this is how I use it most of the time. On poker night, tonight, I move the dinette table into the center of the living room, and flip over the poker table. The poker side has vinyl in the center where the cards are dealt, discarded, etc. There are eight poker wells along the edges for your chips. Each well is below the center part, and consists of a flat area to stack your chips, and a curved channel at the very edge where you can place your chips on edge.

It turns out that the well is exactly 10 chips deep, and the barrier separating each well is 5 chips high. This is very convenient using standard clay poker chips for counting. All in all, I have used this for about 20 years with no problems, and everybody likes it. The one rule I enforce is no drinks on the table, and that has prevented many accidents over the years.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited August 2014
    We had my wife's great grandmothers 48" round oak table restored. I use a table pad that has green felt underneath when we play poker. With the 2 leafs I can seat 8 people for a poker game.

http://originalfactorydirecttablepads.com/Colors

398412_3790770652169_895180332_n.jpg
    401428_3790744251509_1367489101_n.jpg
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • jflail2
    edited August 2014
    BlueFox/ thsmith, that sounds about right in regards to size. Looking for something that will accommodate 8 players. I don't think I have the room for a 10 player table.

Since you both went the table top route instead of a dedicated table, did either of you have any issues with the top moving around at all when someone bumped it/ pushed on it?

Since I won't ever need to move the table in/out of the room, I'm pondering a more permanent setup like I linked above. But if you guys haven't had any issues with just tops, I need to check that out as well I guess.

I've also seen some pretty nice fold up tables, but I think I'd rather have something a bit more..........pretty in regards to the base.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2014
    The only issue I have had is if a couple of players on one side lean on the the table it can rise up. This is because it is larger than the dinette table under it. It has never moved horizontally as it must weigh 50 pounds. I was lucky to find this thing since I cannot find the same thing yet via Google.

Here is a picture of a similar real table, but my top is a bit nicer. I will take a picture tonight when it is setup.

image.jpg
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited August 2014
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Since you both went the table top route instead of a dedicated table, did either of you have any issues with the top moving around at all when someone bumped it/ pushed on it?

No issue with movement as long as the pad fits properly. the table is solid.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • jflail2
    edited August 2014
    And then there's a custom build like this:

https://imgur.com/a/1CSY1#30

Or this:

https://imgur.com/a/Q54gK?gallery

Oh my................This may very well be my first ambitious woodworking project.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Lots to consider here. I have built several tables in the past. We, a few friends, ran an underground club in my area, and we built several oval tables. We rented an apartment in a business/medical apartment facility. The tables in the main rooms had bolt on decorative cast iron bases. They looked great, but, they're nearly permanently in that you have to get creative if you want to break them down for storage.

For occasional use I recommend the round/octagonal multi use tables. They can at least be used as a dining table and converted by the flip of the top.

We also built others that had fold up legs, but, you still have to find a place to store the padded rail, and, they still don't feel as solid as the more "permanent" build tables.

With the oval tables you have to consider where you're going to store the base, the rail and the top itself.

Find a good octagonal table that looks like a good piece of furniture with matching chairs. It'll save lots of headache and hassle down the road.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Spam reported...