Bi-amping with amp?

mabst73
mabst73 Posts: 20
edited August 2014 in Forum Testing Area
Hello all,

I am not really thrilled with my low end performance on my RTI-A9s. They are currently powered by a Adcom 555, which gets its input from a YAMAHA RX-V773. What are the thoughts on running bi-amp with that amp? What I mean by this is using the receive for the one of the posts and the amp for the other set. The yamaha supports bi-amping by reassigning the 2nd zone to the primary zone outputs. Yamaha reports it puts out 110wpc, but who actually knows.

Would it be a good idea? Where should I run the cables? (ie amp to the lower, receiver to the uppers?)

Looking for some thoughts, as I don't have the money to upgrade the amp at the moment.

-Mike
Post edited by mabst73 on

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited August 2014
    True active bi-amping requires 2 amps and an active crossover, bypassing the passive crossovers.
    Passive bi-amping has been shown over and over to be worthless.

The GFA-555 is a solid 200wpc amp that should have no problems at all powering those A9s.
    How are they set up? Distance from walls/apart/to primary listening position?
    How is the room? Lots of carpet/drapes/soft furniture?
    All of these things will have a drastic effect on the low end performance of your speakers.
    (As an aside, this section of the forum is for testing and doesn't really get used much...try posting the same questions in the speaker forum for more input.)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2014
    What he said ^^, plus your cables will make a drastic difference and the quality of your source. The speakers have no problem with bass, and the Adcom has no problem with power, look elsewhere like the room, placement, cables, source.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mabst73
    mabst73 Posts: 20
    edited August 2014
    Thanks to both of you!

ZLTFUL - I've reposted over in http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?163215-Bi-amping-with-amp&p=2072649#post2072649

-Mike
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    True active bi-amping requires 2 amps and an active crossover, bypassing the passive crossovers.
    Passive bi-amping has been shown over and over to be worthless.

The GFA-555 is a solid 200wpc amp that should have no problems at all powering those A9s.
    How are they set up? Distance from walls/apart/to primary listening position?
    How is the room? Lots of carpet/drapes/soft furniture?
    All of these things will have a drastic effect on the low end performance of your speakers.
    (As an aside, this section of the forum is for testing and doesn't really get used much...try posting the same questions in the speaker forum for more input.)
    tonyb wrote: »
    What he said ^^, plus your cables will make a drastic difference and the quality of your source. The speakers have no problem with bass, and the Adcom has no problem with power, look elsewhere like the room, placement, cables, source.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2014
    Should also mention the settings in your receiver. Have you set the receiver up....all the inputs, speaker setting, levels, large or small ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable