Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited July 2014
    Just spoke to Melanie. Their accounting to department needs to take the order back and regenerate an all new invoice with the new pricing after dealing with the debits/and credits. So she's not going to have a final number to charge me until early next week. The order is in at 20 units and will progress as such, since really we only needed to pay 50% up front. I have a pretty high degree of confidence I know what that number will be, but until she and I tie out figures and she charges me, I'm not going to hold off on refunds.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Tronman
    Tronman Posts: 72
    edited July 2014
    I may be in for one if I am not too late 1000VA, what is the price break at now? I will read through the thread tomorrow and let you know for sure.

Thanks
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    Sorry, afraid the deal is closed.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    edited July 2014
    I was thinking of either making or acquiring new back plates for my 1C's and using speakon connectors from both the amp and the Dreadnaught. Are there any downsides to this approach?
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited July 2014
    I think it would be better to use binding posts for the speaker cables, so if you wanted to try different cables you wouldn't have to add speakons to the new cables. I believe this is the way almost everyone is doing it. You can contact Trey (VR3) for new backplates, that's where I got mine.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    edited July 2014
    That is a good point. Thanks.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    Not true. Quite a few of us have moved to using Speakons on the speaker side. Trey sells binding post plates that are drilled out for Speakons, so it's pretty easy to do. I did this on my 4.1TL's when I redid the internal wire with Cardas Litz, have a look at post 82 here:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?137026-My-new-4.1TL-s-are-complete!/page3

If you're starting fresh and haven't bought binding posts, my advice would be to use Speakons on both sides of the connection, Dreadnought and SDA connection on the speaker. Build the cables with something decent like Signal.

Personally, what I would advise is for everyone here to use Speakons, then put together a group buy for the cables. 20 transformers, 2 cables per transformer. So you would have a need for 40 cables terminated in Speakon. Call Frank and see what he'll do. He's reasonable enough when you're buying a single pair of cables. If you're buying 20 pairs, I bet he's even more reasonable!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited July 2014
    nspindel wrote: »
    Call Frank and see what he'll do. He's reasonable enough when you're buying a single pair of cables. If you're buying 20 pairs, I bet he's even more reasonable!

So true Frank was more than agreeable to help me with an experiment project and then gave me a 5% discount for being a club Polk member. I run the Signal Ultra speaker cables I bought 2nd hand here and couldn't be happier with them.
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    Yup. No doubt about, you guys need a Speakon cable group buy!
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited July 2014
    Speakon connectors are the way to go. I first remember seeing them being used on professional audio speakers and amps back in the late 90's to early 2000 or so.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited July 2014
    Wow, didn't realize speakon has been around since 1987. Apparently, QSC were some of the first amps to use them. Any other oldtimers here remember when they first saw them?
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2014
    I am sure Frank would be happy to do a group speakon cable deal, just got a few emails form him the other day, he had been making me a magic power cable and some source ones, had not tried his power cables yet and wanted to try one on my new Tube amp.
    both him & Doug are awesome to deal with so I give both some of my business.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2014
    It is best to use whatever speaker cable you are running for the SDA cable as well. It only makes sense when you think about it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2014
    You have a way of putting it so it makes sense :)

so its like when I think I heard you say to use matching IC's to your speaker cables?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • F1nut
    edited July 2014
    voltz wrote: »
    so its like when I think I heard you say to use matching IC's to your speaker cables?

Yep, like that. :smile:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scubasteve4sq
    scubasteve4sq Posts: 72
    edited July 2014
    I am going to be using speakon connections for the sda connections as well as the connections from the amp to the speaker.
  • scubasteve4sq
    edited July 2014
    Crest pro lite class d amps use a speakon out to the speakers
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited August 2014
    A little late, but props to GlennDog for taking us to the 20 mark with his purchase of 3 units. If your'e ever in town, I owe ya a beer!

Seattle metro area...
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • scubasteve4sq
    edited August 2014
    31-051-4c-wire-1500_343x343.jpg
    31-062-side-1500_343x343.jpg
    This would be good wire to group buy for the speakon, it's 12awg 4 conductor with a thick durable rubber shell for only $1 a foot.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=31-051&Category_Code=4C-Cables
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    Yup, thanks. All set!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited August 2014
    Here is the dreadnought case sale thread..

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?163163-Dreadnought-Cases..&p=2072027#post2072027

I know there is a couple of you that can't see the thread, just PM me, and I will make sure your taken care of..
  • South Dakota Po
    South Dakota Po Posts: 15
    edited August 2014
    This 100 post thing is so assinine. I have been on this forum for well over 10 years. I am a rather shy guy and I only post if I absolutely have to. I have bought other things from the famous toolman and DK long before alot of these people but yet I get hassled every time I try to post anything. Of course I would like one of your cases. Can you post it on the vintage forum also I really would like to read the details for myself. I think I want Posts and not speakons on mine. I like to switch cables. I am also interested in tweeter brackets and crossover brackets. Thanks.

P.S. I have had a set of SDA SRS's since 1988 and I am not worthy to be able to pot how sad.
  • dhlogic
    dhlogic Posts: 26
    edited August 2014
    Yeah it is a little frustrating, but I can understand the reasoning of both sides. Nothing I can do but deal with it.

I too would like to see all the details of the thread and what others are talking about regarding the cases, but just PM'ed Larry instead and got a prompt reply.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2014
    I have been on this forum for well over 10 years.
    Join Date Mar 2006

Looks more like 8 years to me. Just saying.

President of Club Polk

• scubasteve4sq
    edited August 2014
    I can't see it either, typical forum post count e-peen bullcrap.
  • scubasteve4sq
    edited August 2014
    I say the three of us go have a pointless 300 post discussion about something pointless in the clubhouse because it appears trolling the forum is a prerequisite to viewing the classified section.
  • scubasteve4sq
    edited August 2014
    Why don't one of you guys with ungodly post counts take some screenshots of the thread and post them here for us lowly mortals to view
  • F1nut
    edited August 2014
    Just PM Larry like he suggested and quit whining about it.

President of Club Polk

• stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    edited August 2014
    Just sent a PM to Larry for 1 box
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    Does the case thread need to sit in the flea market? Why not just put it in Vintage Speakers like this thread?