computer to receiver connection question

vicentre
vicentre Posts: 23
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Is there any way i can make a direct connection from my computer to my stereo to play MP3s without shelling out $150 bucks for HK's DAL 150 coaxial digital converter?
Home Theater Man Cave

Display-Samsung PN60E550 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR809 | Sources-OPPO BDP-103, PS3, Apple TV | Speakers-PolkAudio; mains-RTiA7, center-CSiA6, surrounds-RTi70, back surrounds-RTi38 | Sub-SVS PB-1000 | Sennheiser HD-650 headphones | Schiit Audio Vahalla Headphone Amp | Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable | Musical Fidelity V-LPS Mk II Phono Amp with upgraded power supply | Monster MP HTS 1600 power center
Post edited by vicentre on

Comments

• Clay19
    Clay19 Posts: 27
    edited March 2002
    If you want a digital connection between your computer and the Receiver you can either buy that adapter you spoke of, or if you have a decent soundcard it will already have a coax digital out built into it you just need an adapter to go from the 1/8" jack to a single RCA, its usually called SDPIF out. Read your soundcard's manual to see if you have it, i have a SBLIVE! 5.1 and I was using it's digital out until i switched to a 2 channel receiver. If you do not have a Soundcard with digital out, you can go to wal-mart and buy a cable that splits the 1/8" jack on your souncard into R/L male RCAs although it is analog.

~Clay
    -Adcom GTP-502 Preamp
    -Musical Designs D-75 Amp
    -Polk Ebony LSi9's
    -Sony NS500V SACD/CD/DVD
    -Velodyne CHT-10
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Just get a cable that has a male stereo mini-jack on one end(computer end) and male RCA jacks (stereo end) on the other end.

Aaron
  • crystal-clear
    crystal-clear Posts: 19
    edited March 2002
    I have the H/K Dal-150 you spoke of, but haven't hooked it up yet. If you are interested in this, I can let you know how it sounds in the next few days when I complete hook up. I have high hopes for it, but we will let it speak for itself.

Crystal-clear:)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    i have the sounder blaster live value and i do have digital out
  • Nashvilletitans
    Nashvilletitans Posts: 80
    edited March 2002
    I have use my reciever to play MP3s from my PC,just make sure(if you are aquiring them from a "peer to peer" source that you get them recorded at ,at least a 128 bitrate. Just my opinion.
    John
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    i use win mx to do songs and e-donkey to dl movies, games and any big file i am looking for i usto use lime wire till i gound out they use spy ware

http://www.edonkey2000.com

http://www.winmx.com
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    nicer sound cards have optical and coaxial digital outs, which solves things entirely.
  • vicentre
    vicentre Posts: 23
    edited March 2002
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to keep the connection digital but i didn't want to go through the hassle of installing a new sound card. I found a company called Xitel that has something similar to the DAL 150. Its costs about 70 bucks, its should get here today, i'll let you know how it sounds.

vic
    Home Theater Man Cave

Display-Samsung PN60E550 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR809 | Sources-OPPO BDP-103, PS3, Apple TV | Speakers-PolkAudio; mains-RTiA7, center-CSiA6, surrounds-RTi70, back surrounds-RTi38 | Sub-SVS PB-1000 | Sennheiser HD-650 headphones | Schiit Audio Vahalla Headphone Amp | Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable | Musical Fidelity V-LPS Mk II Phono Amp with upgraded power supply | Monster MP HTS 1600 power center
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2002
    I have my computer hooked up to a receiver via the analog, 1/8"-to-RCA adapter. My computer has a so-so SB Live card (I think it does have a digital out, but I don't have a digital receiver in here), and frankly I'm surprised at the poor sound quality I get from it. Even when playing CD's on the computer drive, I get nowhere near the quality of playing the same CD on the regular CD player connected to the receiver.

I imagine that the digital output would be much better. I can burn the occasional, acceptable-sounding mp3's to a CD, then play it on the real CD player and it sounds much better. I guess you can't expect very good D/A conversion from a $50 sound card.

Jason

P.S. Goingganzo: You may already know this, but you can remove that spyware pretty effectively with AdAware.
  • eaadams
    eaadams Posts: 213
    edited March 2002
    NOTE TO REMEMBER! SB Live! spdif port is out of spec with our HT recievers. It opperates differently and can cause problems. 3rd parties make daughter cards that fix this problem. Ask on the AVS Forum HT Computer section and you will get a link.