DCM Time Windows 1a

kdblove_99
kdblove_99 Posts: 107
edited July 2014 in Vintage Speakers
Are these any good. Saw a pair at a pawn shop yesterday. They had $60 on them but not sure if that was a piece or for the pair. They were in mint condition. Even the cloth was in perfect shape.
Post edited by kdblove_99 on

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited July 2014
    Never heard them but have heard great things about them. Buy em! If you dont like, you could easily flip
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure which model has the Phillips tweeter in it, IIRC that model is the more desirable one. I had a pair many years ago, powered by a Yamaha CR-820 receiver. They made really good sound in my dorm room! You'll want to like big open soundstage versus lots of detail. Well worth the $60 pair or even $60 each, if the drivers are in good shape.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited July 2014
    The only time windows i might still be interested in after owning all of them save the legendary sevens.

The 1as just had that something, i remember calling deb into the living room and saying sit down here "And listen to these speakers"

I even went so far with our TW 3s as to have them recapped, but they just never had it, all rooms and systems are different, and they have their following but not for us.

Throw in the fact a pretty pair is going for 60 bucks, please go get them, even if you dont care for them you will not lose money, and you may end up selling them for some sdas when its time for the ultimate in soundstage and and depth of field and such.

AVS forums has a great thread titled" Whatever happened to Steve Eberbach?"

It has a great deal of info and several guys who are nuts about DCM, including a guy named Jamie Hauser, who has recreated, not refurbished, but recreated a pair of sevens from the ground up using advice from eberbach himself.

Go get em, good luck.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    edited July 2014
    I have always wanted a pair of Time Windows. I would have bought them on the spot.
  • kdblove_99
    edited July 2014
    I just called. It's $60 for the pair
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited July 2014
    Go get 'em!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Pastor Bill
    Pastor Bill Posts: 130
    edited July 2014
    From the AudioGon site:

This review covers the orignal DCM Time Windows. Not the subsequent versions.

I remember the first time I heard these. Their unique shape and sound where unlike anything I had heard before. Here was a speaker that really delivered the promise. It was driven by a PS Audio Amp and PS Audio LCC PreAmp. At the time I had the Large Advents,and while those speakers were very good indeed, the Time Windows were clearly superior. The music just seemed to come alive in a way that's hard to describe. There was just a seamless transparency to them. Not overly bright or accentuated on the bass. The balance was right on. It didn't really matter what the program material was, the Time Windows clearly and with authority brought the music to life. If they had any real weakness is for some peoples taste the bass may have been on the light side. But for my taste it was as it should be. The orginals used Philips drivers using a transmission line and the cabinet construction contributed to the overall sound. In the late 70s these were not cheap at about $800.00 but were indeed worth the price of admission. I was finally able to acquire a pair of these and have them to this day. Few things one purchases in life have enduring value and the Time Windows truly are in that category. Of all the reviews I have read on these speakers not one reviewer has clearly defined the sonics of this fabulous speaker. Use all of the adjectives you want and one will still come up short in the description. Best way to describe them, if you love music and have better than average components connected to them, the Time Windows will deliver the music with a verve that will astound you.

Now these speakers are some 20 years or more in age and continue to deliver the music. And that's what this hobby is all about. DCM no longer produces the Time Windows,having opted for the HT route. This is a true shame as these speakers deserve continued production. Timeless design is just that.

Specifications:
    Dimensions:36"H x 14 3/4"W x 11 3/4"D
    Weight:32 Pounds
    Power Requirements:10 Watts Minimum per channel 89 dB/watt at one meter;200 Watts Maximum
    Impedance:5 Ohms minimum/6-8 Ohms nominal
    Frequency Range:25Hz to 18 kHz
    Dispersion:180 degrees horizontal/60 degrees vertical.

Specifications do not tell the whole story,listening does. The Time Windows due to their configuration can be literally tuned to any room. That is due to their shape. This was a brilliantly executed design that has remained faithful all these years.
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
  • Pastor Bill
    Pastor Bill Posts: 130
    edited July 2014
    So...run, don't walk to buy these.
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
  • bigaltx24
    bigaltx24 Posts: 141
    edited July 2014
    My pair is in my 18 year old son's room mated to a Sansui 881. I ran them in my main system for quite a few years, they only got displaced because I got my 1Bs. Great speakers that just have that special something. I drag them downstairs every so often, hook them into my main system and give them a good listen, they still sound wonderful.
    Denon PMA-900V
    Linn Axis with Grado Red
    Cambridge Azur 650C
    Polk SDA-1BTL
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited July 2014
    Time Windows are better than the Time Frame series that are great in their own right. 3A are about the best your going to get and if they are anything like the TF the imaging and soundstage and clarity w/o being harsh is amazing. About the vaunted 7s. Apparently only 200 pairs were ever made and I have never seen a pair come up on any site at any time ever,those are true "heirloom speakers" that you keep in the family. @$60 for the pair in good shape I would get them. (see if you could hear them at the store)
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited July 2014
    Those were great speakers...way ahead of their time....a word to the wise though...a buddy scored a pair of them cheap...had to replace two drivers...easier said than done...finding a replacement was not the issue...what was is DCM used a whacky sealant and drywall screws...he played h-ll getting that stuff off...and ended up doing more work fixing the cabinet than to the driver..just make sure the drivers function...but a plus is that line had a very low failure rate...still worth 60 bucks....nice find.....
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited July 2014
    A quick footnote. If really interested on how tough they really are to work on there is a thread going on right now on the subject over @ AK. I believe the title is Black Goo of Death...
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited July 2014
    That is a great speaker and a fantastic price. If I lived closer you would not be able top go back and get them because i would already have them. I have many DCM models from the TF and TW lines but that is one that I have not been able to land yet.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    edited July 2014
    I have a 10 dollar charity sale find pair of the original timewindows; they look awful but sound great. They're also amazingly sensitive and/or easy to drive -- to my ears and tastes even a push-pull EL84 amplifier, at ca. 12 to 14 watts per channel, makes 'em sound good.
  • kdblove_99
    edited July 2014
    Well I got them today, Kind of. I put them on layaway. I didnt want The wife to ask what i spent $60 on so if i just spend $40 more over the next 2 weeks she wont ever know. Hope the pics came through. there in very good condition. The store set up for them was definitely not prime. But good enough i wanted them
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited July 2014
    Yes sir. Those are beautiful. Great find there. I was hoping you grabbed them
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited July 2014
    There is a pair of TimeFrames near me & i keep looking at the ad. Just cant pull the trigger
    Randy/Maine
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited July 2014
    kdblove_99 wrote: »
    Well I got them today, Kind of. I put them on layaway. I didnt want The wife to ask what i spent $60 on

Congrats on the new speaks . . . but this might be the wrong rabbit hole to venture down!
    AKA NOT inexpensive
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • kdblove_99
    edited July 2014
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Congrats on the new speaks . . . but this might be the wrong rabbit hole to venture down!
    AKA NOT inexpensive

I hear you. I'm going to chill out for awhile unless some SDA come up I can't resist..
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited July 2014
    boston1450 wrote: »
    There is a pair of TimeFrames near me & i keep looking at the ad. Just cant pull the trigger

Not sure what model they may be. The 600's are the sweet spot of that line. Below the 400's I don't know much about but from what i can tell from reading about them they still sound good but drop off pretty good at the lower models. I also own the 1000's and though pretty sweet, just don't have that "something" that the 600's have. From what i understand the 600 is the top model with the tweeter mounted center over the midwoofer. I'm sure this effects the time alignment properties of the speaker that they are so famous for.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • boston1450
    edited July 2014
    ^^^ not sure what model they are. Still listed locally. i was in the area where these were for sale & emailed him. 3 days later i get response. He added something to the package & price went too high. I did want to see/listen to them
    Randy/Maine
  • I bought my Time Window 7's back in 1995 and to this day I still love them. I used to listen primarily to jazz music but now its every genre. My 16yr old son is the one who enjoys them more with his music which wasn't even around back then. Dubstep. If you ever have a chance to hear these speakers, you absolutely would be impressed!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Just bought a pair of DCM TF600. Looking for help with the tweeters. Woofers are great condition so I am assuming the ones .under the front tweeters are good too. All four rear tweeters do not work? I read about a light bulb on xover that can go out causing them to fail? As always,any and all help would be appreciated. thanks D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • kdblove_99 wrote: »
    Are these any good. Saw a pair at a pawn shop yesterday. They had $60 on them but not sure if that was a piece or for the pair. They were in mint condition. Even the cloth was in perfect shape.

my mom bought a pair of these in the mid 70s i think she paid around $1000 for the pair they have a triangle front and curved back design they stand about 4 feet off the ground or more banana plugs for your connections .. the sound coming from these was just amazing a 2 - 6 1/2 woofers at the top and tweeters below them with bass reflex ports at the bottom , they say a speaker has good imaging if you cant pinpoint where the speakers are (while playing music) and these were did that very well , the 6 1/2 woofers might turn a lot of people away but the bass was heavy and hard even at high volume i could never hear the voice coils bottoming out if they even did.. there not a rock n roll speaker like jbl, cerwin vega or klipsch so your not going to get the pounding bass . but once i took them out side in the back yard an cranked them up and people were like where is all that bass coming from ? im guessing $60 bucks ..each i would pay the most up to $300 each for DCM TW 1a in nice condition
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    Amazing sounding speaker's.
    They need power at least 200 watts
    I ran mine with a carver m1.5 t