Oppo & HDD

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited August 2014 in Going Digital
Oppo 103 came in yesterday, got it hooked up with my HDD full of flac files. Very pleased with this unit. It's surprisingly well built/heavy, and has nice isolation feet. I think it's about triple the weight of the panasonic BDP-30k it replaces. The video calibration was dead on from the panny settings, so that was a quick exercise. Hooked up my WD external HDD, and began listening (used digital coaxial output into Benchmark DAC). It quickly recognized everything, and I put it through its paces with plenty of 24/96 material--no issues and it sounded fantastic. My particular HD is AC powered and shuts off automatically when you turn the Oppo off.

The music interface is very basic, but easily navigated and I never needed to touch the manual to do anything. I like using the large plasma display for my 52yr old eyeballs. I still need to connect to my network and do a firmware upgrade/play with YouTube; but I didn't encounter any issues for the couple of hours I played flacs. I haven't run any blurays yet, aside from the demo material on the DVE calibration disk, but the picture seems flawless. I use HDMI 1 out to my plasma directly, and coax digital for audio into my DAC, with 24/192 LPCM enabled via the setup menu.

I LIKE this setup.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited July 2014
    Cool man, congrats on the shift. Not sure but maybe you can add a tablet with an app to control everything out on the patio ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2014
    Yes, there is the Oppo MediaControl app, which I'm gonna phutz with once I do the network connection stuff after work today.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited July 2014
    Maybe i'm missing how you have this set up but where is the Benchmark in the chain?
    HDD>BENCHMARK>OPPO?
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2014
    HDD>Oppo>benchmark
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited July 2014
    Being able to control this from a tablet app is a whole new better experience!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2014
    Enjoy! That's a nice machine, but I wouldn't call it heavy? Perhaps it is in relation to new Sony players that are less than 3lbs.?

But the old Pioneers (like the 51 below) weigh more. And the flagships were almost three times that weight.

What happened to the 20lb.+ player? The dual or triple isolation construction to minimize vibration. Even the Pioneer at 12.8 lbs. benefits from Dynamat, as Dskip has so aptly demonstrated.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited July 2014
    The tablet app addressed quite literally my only gripe with the Oppo (no search function through the OSD when browsing network stored music). Now I am happy as a clam in mud...or a Steve in AZ.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2014
    I found out on the OSD, you can browse while playing a song by using the "return" button on the remote. Last night I couldn't figure out how to do it, and of course real men don't touch the manual....LOL
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited July 2014
    Hey Steve congrats on your Oppo.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2014
    Thank you, really impressed so far.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited July 2014
    103D? If so can you chime in on the built in Darbee processing. I have the external Darbee but was thinking to pick up a 103D in order to have the processing built in. Thanks buddy.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2014
    Sherardp wrote: »
    103D? If so can you chime in on the built in Darbee processing. I have the external Darbee but was thinking to pick up a 103D in order to have the processing built in. Thanks buddy.

I have a 103, no darbee processing.
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited July 2014
    Nice set up Steve, congrats. I found the remote on my 103 weighed about the same as the Samsung player the 103 replaced.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited July 2014
    Congrats on the pickup, Steve. I've been coveting one of these for awhile now, I am glad to see you like it.
    Must...resist...
    DSkip wrote: »
    Having the tablet functionality is awesome. You think you're enjoying it right now....

LOL, I just had a Eugene Levy flashback, thanks for that!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2014
    Update: Really enjoying the player, however it does still have "gapless" playback issues with flac files. One example is Boston the "Don't Look Back" recording, where songs 1,2,3 merge together (normally seamlessly). There's about a 1/2 second gap inserted and play resumes for the next track. I have the latest firmware, and have heard the Oppo is still working the issue.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2014
    Correction to the above: The latest firmware does in fact do gapless flac. When you select the 1st song, press the "options" button on the remote, and select "gapless."
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited July 2014
    Steve, are you taking the Placette out of the equation ? If so, how do you like the sound in comparison ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    Steve, are you taking the Placette out of the equation ? If so, how do you like the sound in comparison ?

Yes. Using the Benchmark in preamp mode. I like it alot, but eventually I will move to the Benchmark DAC2 with remote control. My plan was to sell the BM DAC/PRE and Placette to help finance the DAC2.

I'm really happy with the Oppo move. It sounds wonderful and of course video quality is very nice. The music interface could be a little faster in navigation, bit it's a minor nit-pick. I like the idea of not being dependant on the "network" to listen to my music.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited July 2014
    Congrats on the 103 Steve, you're going to love it.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2014
    No buyers remorse here...very pleased with build, audio and video.
  • swethawell
    swethawell Posts: 3
    edited August 2014
    Geyzzzzz thank you:)