Computer security

simm
simm Posts: 562
edited July 2014 in Going Digital
I am looking to replace my Norton antivirus software with something else. Any suggestions on a good replacement? I am running windows 7 on my laptop. Reason for changing is that I believe it is causing streaming issues when playing iTunes through my airport express. I was getting lots of dropouts until I uninstalled norton and activated windows defender software.
Post edited by simm on

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited July 2014
    I've always used AVG (their free edition).
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2014
    You shouldn't even need security software, just be careful with your email and websites you visit...

If you're doing a lot of music streaming thru iTunes maybe look into getting a Mac Mini, they can be had for good prices used and are great for that purpose.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited July 2014
    you can become subject to rogue virus anywhere on the web.... the ones who pose as computer scans, fake A/V offers, malware scans, and the like. In my opinion, it isn't the best idea to be on the web without software protection. That's just me... not everyone wants to be on the look out, and not every one knows what to look for.
    I have used Trend Micro for years, have had very few issues, you get three licenses for the money. On ssd it loads in a heartbeat, on older drives, it takes a little to finish loading, but does not hog the resources like Norton and McAfee. And easy to configure.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • simm
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the responses. I am continuing to do research on my best option.
  • simm
    edited July 2014
    You shouldn't even need security software, just be careful with your email and websites you visit...

If you're doing a lot of music streaming thru iTunes maybe look into getting a Mac Mini, they can be had for good prices used and are great for that purpose.

I am seriously considering the Mac mini route and doing away with wireless streaming altogether. Just need to decide which mini is best for my needs. How much ram would you recommend for playing back music? Is the basic 4 gig sufficient?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited July 2014
    A basic Mac mini with external raid1 drives or your music on NAS, running J River would be a one and done solution IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited July 2014
    Personally AVG killed my CPU speed as it was eating up all kinds of bandwidth.

I moved to Avast on all 3 of my computers, and have installed it on 5 other machines for family and friends. No issues as of yet.

I also run once a month both Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy as well as a boot time scan using Avast.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2014
    simm wrote: »
    I am seriously considering the Mac mini route and doing away with wireless streaming altogether. Just need to decide which mini is best for my needs. How much ram would you recommend for playing back music? Is the basic 4 gig sufficient?
    Get the base Mac Mini model and then upgrade it to 8GB of RAM and you should be good (it's a simple and cheap upgrade)
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited July 2014
    On a Windows based machine, I'd go MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) paired with Malware Anti-malwarebytes. I was a huge fan of AVG but the program went ape sh&t and became a resource hog. Pair those two and you will be fine. Run CCLeaner to keep things tidy as well.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited July 2014
    Used Trend Micro for years til they got a little negative reviews, slowed my computer down ,but I never got any horrible viruses. I switched to Webroot for a year , no problems with viruses there either, but the computer would shut down every so often and need to reboot. I now use Bitdefender , seems to be ok, no viruses and it's good for 2 years. I've heard that Spybot is very good too.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    edited July 2014
    I have used AVG, Avast, Trend Micro, McAfee and now just Defender, with Spybot and Malwarebytes and never had an issue with any of them, except McAfee which slowed the computer down badly.

Like others have said, just watch what you open and you don't need fancy antivirus. Defender/Security Essentials and something for trojans and the like seems good enough and it doesn't affect speed or cost anything.
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited July 2014
    Anti-virus is mostly ineffective. Symantec released an article talking about how even their solutions would only catch 45% of viruses out there.

For personal use:

Windows Defender/Security Essentials

Open DNS for DNS servers

Hosted email

SpyBot or Malware Bytes

Run with a standard/restricted user account and try to avoid questionable sights
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited July 2014
    Sherardp wrote: »
    On a Windows based machine, I'd go MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) paired with Malware Anti-malwarebytes. I was a huge fan of AVG but the program went ape sh&t and became a resource hog. Pair those two and you will be fine. Run CCLeaner to keep things tidy as well.

I agree with this approach.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2014

Personally AVG killed my CPU speed as it was eating up all kinds of bandwidth.

I moved to Avast on all 3 of my computers, and have installed it on 5 other machines for family and friends. No issues as of yet.

I also run once a month both Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy as well as a boot time scan using Avast.

I've been using the same combo as EndersS above. No problem.

You don't need "security" on a "windows" machine? RIGHT! That's a good one! Good for a belly laugh, that is. Windows machines are the most vulnerable to hacks, viruses, crashes...need I go on or would you like to talk to a friend of mine who is a software engineer, and a good on at that? Too many hours on a MAC, I believe.

I am UNBELIEVABLY careful about sites, emails, etc. And MalwareBytes still catches a few things a month? And the internet is a minefield of spyware.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • lilylily608
    lilylily608 Posts: 15
    edited July 2014
    I am running windows 7 on my laptop!
  • bmor
    bmor Posts: 44
    edited July 2014
    Using MSE and MalwareBytes like others and it seems to work well.
    2 CH - SB Touch, CA 840C, CA 840Av2, PSB Imagine T
    HT - Pioneer 1325, Emo UPA-1, MA Silver RS series 7.1
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited July 2014
    MS security essentials prevents NOTHING. And it fixes NOTHING. Worth
    exactly what you paid for it. Malwarebytes is great for spot checks or
    fixing issues. But I wouldn't run a MAC or PC without protection.
    99% of the bad stuff is directed at PC/servers but don't think that
    the MAC OS is bulletproof. And given how things are going, if it's on the
    network, it needs protection.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited July 2014
    sucks2beme wrote: »

I've only been using MSE for a couple months but so far it's just as good at blocking malware/viruses as the paid version of Avast and way less quirky.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited July 2014
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I've only been using MSE for a couple months but so far it's just as good at blocking malware/viruses as the paid version of Avast and way less quirky.

Same here...but I've been use MSE for YEARS.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Habanero Monk
    edited July 2014
    If you aren't using Open DNS or other secure DNS you are leaving a big hole in your protection.
  • mikey1987
    mikey1987 Posts: 68
    edited July 2014
    Symantec is the best third party, but adds another layer of complexity to your system.

I like the MS tools the best since they are native to Windows.

But, sometimes the best defense ISNT a good offense. It's watching where you go online. If it looks funny, don't visit. You'll be surprised how much that attitude will save you when browsing.
    Speakers: Polk RTi10
    Preamp: Parasound PL/D-1100
    Amplifier: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Neighbors: pissed off
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited July 2014
    sucks2beme wrote: »

No issues here and I'm often time in the underground playing with hacked software, and other stuff. It's always popped up with alerts even if I'm intentionally using something like those mentioned on purpose. Semper Fi Marine
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Habanero Monk
    edited July 2014
    Sherardp wrote: »
    No issues here and I'm often time in the underground playing with hacked software, and other stuff. It's always popped up with alerts even if I'm intentionally using something like those mentioned on purpose. Semper Fi Marine

You would be better off using Virtual Box and sandboxing anything questionable you are playing around with. You can set system snap shots prior and roll right on back.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    edited July 2014
    I gave up on MSE/Defender and added the free edition of Avira. MSE never found one single thing on my computer or my wife's laptop, never gave me one warning, except to say that I need to update it. Our IS guy says the same thing, it never found anything on his home computer either.

I am careful about what I open, which is the best defense, but I just don't trust MSE to do anything for me. Avira gave me 5 warnings and found 4 issues the first time I ran it. I still use Malwarebytes and Spybot in addition to it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited July 2014
    We always used Webroot and Lavasoft paid version and never had any problems. To me it seems they all have become hogs with the newer versions.