Jriver (Play Doctor)

polk500
polk500 Posts: 1,171
edited June 2014 in Going Digital
Hello,

So I've have been using Jriver (audio only) for a while now; mostly controlling it with the Jriver app for iphone and iPad.

Some time ago I hooked up the video feature and with the tv on I could if I want control it with a mouse; I do sometimes cuz as we all know the iphone and ipad only does so much with computer programs.

Last night I found the remote option on my Jriver Ipad app and along with it the Play Doctor feature which pulls pictures from the net and plays an slide show of the current artist.

I think it's the coolest feature ever as you get to see a lot of images that you normally don't unless you search the net or so mags etc.

Cheers
Roger
Post edited by polk500 on

Comments

• doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited June 2014
    It's very slick, the Playing Now view in Theater Mode does pull from Google. It also makes for incredible comic relief at times.
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited June 2014
    JRiver is a great product. For audio make sure to enable it's Play back from RAM feature. It will queue up everything in RAM (1GB) and simply not bother to access either the HD or Network.

If you have plenty of system RAM it certainly can not hurt.
  • polk500
    edited June 2014
    JRiver is a great product. For audio make sure to enable it's Play back from RAM feature. It will queue up everything in RAM (1GB) and simply not bother to access either the HD or Network.

Thanks I will check it out.

Cheers
    Roger
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited June 2014
    Yes, but note the J River advises not to enable that feature if playback from NAS. It's redundant and can be adverse. No harm in trying though.

For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited June 2014
    Yes, but note the J River advises not to enable that feature if playback from NAS. It's redundant and can be adverse. No harm in trying though.

Never had a problem with network delivered audio and that feature but it is meant for people that believe that intermittent HD access can degrade the audio.

Memory playback loads a track in memory so no access to the local HD by JRiver during playback.
    As JRiver is reading the data from a server, there is no access to the local HD by JRiver for the audio.
    What it reads from the server is stored in memory

Makes sense.
  • polk500
    edited June 2014
    Hello,

Correction don't need to play the tunes with play doctor to have the slideshow. Apparently it plays the slideshow as default.
    Sorry for the stupidly.

I will go back to reading threads instead of posting.

Cheers
    Roger