Basic computer audio question

simm
simm Posts: 562
edited June 2014 in Going Digital
I have connected my laptop to my stereo via HDMi cable and can see my screen through the TV but can't figure out how to get sound to output through the stereo. What am I forgetting to do?
Post edited by simm on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2014
    Make sure the HDMI audio out is enabled and set to default.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited June 2014
    simm wrote: »
    I have connected my laptop to my stereo via HDMi cable and can see my screen through the TV but can't figure out how to get sound to output through the stereo. What am I forgetting to do?

Also make sure you switch to the proper input on the receiver you have it connected to.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • simm
    edited June 2014
    I have it on the right input. I just can't find where to enable audio thru HDMi
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2014
    I have it on the right input. I just can't find where to enable audio thru HDMi

Right click on your speaker icon, select Playback devices, right click on HDMI Audio and select "make Default"...

Should be it.

Make and model of your laptop and AVR would help though...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • simm
    edited June 2014
    Windows 7 HP, receiver is Yamaha RX-A3000, running itunes.
  • simm
    edited June 2014
    Right click on your speaker icon, select Playback devices, right click on HDMI Audio and select "make Default"...

Should be it.

Make and model of your laptop and AVR would help though...

Rebooted the computer and it is now working. Thanks for the help.

I have been streaming through an airport express for the last couple of years but have started having a tremendous amount of dropouts over the last several months and can't find the cause so am looking at going with a direct connection to computer but before spending on computer upgrades want to make sure that it his is truly my issue.
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited June 2014
    I have been streaming through an airport express for the last couple of years but have started having a tremendous amount of dropouts over the last several months and can't find the cause...

Added anything to your network during that time? Any new Wi-Fi networks in your area (neighbors, etc.)? Much of it uses the same unlicensed (and increasingly crowded) RF spectrum.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • simm
    edited June 2014
    StantonZ wrote: »
    Added anything to your network during that time? Any new Wi-Fi networks in your area (neighbors, etc.)? Much of it uses the same unlicensed (and increasingly crowded) RF spectrum.

Not that I know of.