reference levels

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
what is a reference level? would that be like around 80db or more? thanks to anyone who can answer this for me.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited March 2002
    ”what is a reference level? would that be like around 80db or more? thanks to anyone who can answer this for me.”

The Dolby Digital (AC-3) reference level is 85dB-SPL at the sweet spot when driven by a –20dBFS-reference test tone. This reference level ensures that an AC-3 recording at 0dBFS will drive a surround sound system to a level of 105dB-SPL.

The reference level for the LFE channel is the same 85dB-SPL when driven with a –30dBFS-test tone. This level ensures that the LFE channel will be driven to a 115dB-SPL for a 0dBFS LFE recording.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2002
    Be careful with the use of the word 'ensure'. Not a whole lot of retail subs out there, esp at a 'budget' price, that will go anywhere in the same neighborhood as 115db......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited March 2002
    You’re right, the AC-3 specification was written for movie theaters, not home theaters. Many home theater subwoofers can hardly reach 105dB-SPL without 30% distortion.
    Best Regards, Cliff