dipole owners-are u getting the null effect?

begbie
begbie Posts: 630
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Just wondering if fx dipole/bipole owners have acheived the null
effect ? Was placement critical? Are you getting that diffuse sound or has localization been obvious?

Though they aren't THX certified dipoles, I read a review that the fx500 achieved their effects above 2kHz. Does that mean it depends on the movie's soundtrack or the receiver's output?
Polk Rt800i -Fronts
Polk cs400i -Center
Polk fx500i -side surrounds
Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
Velodyne cht12
Polk psw111
Post edited by begbie on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited March 2002
    Hi:

I think it would be the soundtrack.

Gary
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Originally posted by begbie
    Are you getting that diffuse sound or has localization been obvious?

i am using fx1000's (replaced rt35i's) and the localization is gone. these acheive a very diffuse, engulfing surround soundstage now. i have them placed directly to the sides of my listening position, about 2.5-3' higher than ear level, you can view them in the system showcase...
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited March 2002
    begbie,

I have the FX300i and the sound is great. I had tried the RT25i and did not like the localized sound. Now that I have used a calibration DVD on my system it is even better. I have a diffused sound that fills the entire room. I have the speakers located directly to the sides of my listening position about 3-4 feet above ear level.

Greg
  • chefsdm
    chefsdm Posts: 17
    edited March 2002
    I have the fx 500 located directly to the sides of the listening position, about 3 1/2 feet above the ears. they are set to dipole and the surround effects fill the room. I have found this setup superior to others I have tried.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    i have the 500 they are great they were the first thing i started when i started my upgrade i first got the 300 and they were ok but i wanted a little more so i took them bach to cc and ordered the 500 from crutchfeild and got 25 off and also the rt10 witch cc would not offer the promoshon that polk had going. and when i wanted to go from the 6.1 to 7 i got another set of the 500 they are all at the same level and i have the sides in di pole and the backs in bi pole
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2002
    I have my FX300i's set to bi-pole instead of di-pole. in bi-pole the surround sound is more open and diffused. in di-pole it's more direct and I can localize the sound. i have heard that you should use di-pole if your surrounds are to the side of you and bi-pole if your surrounds are located behind your listening sweet spot.

oh yeah by saying I was bi, it didn't mean anything more than how my surround speakers are set. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    bi-guy, are your rears mounted on the rear wall behind you? if so, that's why your bi-pole setting is sounding better with that application...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2002
    yes my surrounds are mounted on the rear wall behind me.. but the couch is up against the wall. so they are directly behind me. i tried that same speaker position in di-pole and didn't like the sound because it was to direct.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    yeah bi-pole is definitely how you should have them set in your set-up. enjoy!